Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 19, 2014 at 02:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 Reasons the Steelers WON'T Repeat  (Read 2363 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« on: Aug 12, 2009 at 10:02 »

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/233081-why-the-pittsburgh-steelers-will-not-repeat

Failing to add depth to a team comprised of aging veteran leadership, effectively hanging their franchise quarterback out to dry by failing to add protection, and the vast improvement of the AFC ...

In the conference, Tom Brady has returned to the Patriots, while the Colts are healthy and have a new weapon in Donald Brown. The Jets' new defense has turned them into contenders, and the Dolphins are coming off a playoff year.

In the division, the Bengals are no longer a joke, healthy with the best offense and defense they've had in years. The Ravens will continue to compete with Derrick Mason returning and Joe Flacco more experienced. Cleveland under new management has improved on both sides of the ball, and last year the Browns were only beaten by four points in the first meeting between the two.

Yeah, the Bengals are better based on what, exactly?  Loss of Who'sYoMamma?  Ochocinco finally shuts up? Jawbreaker Rivers *might* get to play a whole season?

Don't even talk about the Browns.  Ravens could match what they did last season.

Beardy?  Wait and see.  Colts?  Wait and see.

The Steelers have lost no more and have fewer questions marks than those aforementioned teams.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2009 at 11:02 »

This article is ridiculous.  Obviously, they go after the line but then no depth at running back?  maybe if Mendelhall really shits the bed or gets injured again but this is an obvious jealousy/hate article.  My favorite being the one that asks if Polamalu can step it up and be a factor like in 2004/2005....did you WATCH A GAME LAST YEAR IDIOT?!? 

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2009 at 11:17 »

And after Week 2, there will be a slew of injuries across the league, with a few high profile players out 4 weeks or more.

That a team is healthy now is super considering we've just made it past the HoF game. /s  :rolleyes:

Let's get six weeks in to the regular season before figuring out what the Steelers will or won't do.

Did the Bengals actually get better on offense?  They lost Housh.  I guess Palmer is healthy (right now) but isn't their first round pick still holding out?

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2009 at 11:32 »

And after Week 2, there will be a slew of injuries across the league, with a few high profile players out 4 weeks or more.

That a team is healthy now is super considering we've just made it past the HoF game. /s  :rolleyes:

Let's get six weeks in to the regular season before figuring out what the Steelers will or won't do.

Did the Bengals actually get better on offense?  They lost Housh.  I guess Palmer is healthy (right now) but isn't their first round pick still holding out?

You said it, Scac.  Injuries become the difference maker for so many teams.

WRT the Bengals, losing Housh but adding Coles is a wash, or close enough to it.  Fact is, they had a top OL in their single halcyon year, and it's much diminished now.  I don't even know who those fucking turds are on that line, except for Whitworth... and rookie Andre "Titsafloppin" Smith.  When you're counting on a rookie to save your line...

FO ranked the Bengals line 32nd in run blocking and 27th in pass blocking.  That right there tells me the Bengals' magical offense everyone still drools about is essentially a myth.  People also whisper about improvements on defense, but for half a season, the Bengals were atrocious.  They tightened up some, but still wound up as the #21 pass D and the #8 rush D according to FO, and #16 overall.  They're a middle of the pack defense, at best.

So, middle of the pack D, pisspoor offensive line... and they're leap-frogging two of the AFC's best defenses HOW?  Say what you will about the Ravens' aging D, smart money is on the Ravens to hold the line another year against the idiot Bengals.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2009 at 11:34 »

this wannabe journalist is a brownstain fan.  Browns improved on both sides of the ball? ya right, since when?  :rolleyes:

http://bleacherreport.com/users/98404-sam-ingro

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2009 at 11:51 »

Excrement.

That is what I think of Mr. Samuel Ingrown.

This is just SSDD:  The Browns will unseat the Steelers.  The Bengals have dethroned the champs.  The Ravens are a much stronger organization.  Hines Ward is declining.  Ben is just a game-manager.  They lost too many players.  FWP is overrated.  Blah blah blah blah.

Of all the reasons listed, #2 will end up being the one that could cost us the chance to repeat.  I doubt that any of the others carry much weight at all, flimsy and uninformed as they are.

And let's just acknowledge that any writer/commentator/prognosticator/moron in his momma's basement who starts writing and blogging about what a team can or cannot do before they've even kicked off a preaseason game is just a complete loser.  Did these dingleberries learn nothing from the Browns last year?

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #6 on: Aug 12, 2009 at 11:53 »

this wannabe journalist is a brownstain fan.  Browns improved on both sides of the ball? ya right, since when?  :rolleyes:

That explains it.  And he even looks like a doucher.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Aug 12, 2009 at 11:54 »

Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn would be the #2 QB at best for most teams in the league.

Browns are in serious contention for first pick in the draft in 2010.  Everyone talks about Mangini turning shit around, but WTF did he really do for the Jets?  Big fucking deal, Mangenious.  Who are their WRs?  Edwards was pure shit last year, and didn't come into camp in great shape.  Their #2 may well be Robiskie, a rookie.  They no longer have Helen at TE, who was at least a moderate threat catching the ball -- Steve Heiden, ohhhh, I'm scared.  

The left side of their line -- Joe Thomas and Eric Steinbach -- may be as good as any in football.  Unfortunately, they're only 40% of the line, which otherwise blows.  Fraley was good, is done now.  Ditto St. Clair.  Ditto Womack.  Horrible.  Jamal Lewis may not even be the starting HB by the end of the year.

The D has a few players.  DQwell Jackson is solid.  Wimbley.  Pool.  That fat fuck Shaun Rogers.  It's just not enough.  Again from FO, 17th overall, 16th vs. the run and 23rd vs. the rush.  It's just not that good a defense.  By yardage stats, the defense was 27th against the run and 26th against the pass.  

James Harrison had 16 sacks last year.  The Cleveland Browns had 17.  Fuck me sideways, Nancy, how the fuck is that defense improved?  A bunch of 30+ washout free agents?  A bunch of never-beens?  Come on, find me ONE good thing about the Browns.  I can't seriously think of one.  I'm putting the o/u for the Browns wins at 3 right now.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Aug 12, 2009 at 11:57 »

well to put myself into the browns perspective, sort of profiling the lad, ANY and I mean ANY positive addition can be equated into improvement i guess.

such as, hey we are going with RBK unis this year opposed to the nike ones, that has to make us play better right?

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Aug 12, 2009 at 11:58 »

And he's a fan of the Pac 10, which takes his credibility well into the negative digits.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: