Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 21, 2014 at 19:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sweed  (Read 3687 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Aug 14, 2009 at 12:35 »

Mendy looked tentative to me.

That's what I thought last night.  Get a few more preseason games under his belt and hopefully he's fine.  I was not impressed last night though.  Every time he was touched he went down.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Aug 14, 2009 at 15:34 »

Mendy looked tentative to me.

That's what I thought last night.  Get a few more preseason games under his belt and hopefully he's fine.  I was not impressed last night though.  Every time he was touched he went down.

what the hell is this crap?  how dare you hijack an already hijacked thread.  can we get an admin to title this thread Sweed/vick/peta/mendenhall?

as for the game, I was in the third freakin row baby! unfortunatley it was 3 rows from the ceiling and couldnt see shit.  Been checking out 212 to catch a replay on 2 occasions, both of them was Brady vs. the eagles.

But the field looked excellent from the heavens.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Aug 15, 2009 at 09:58 »

If Vick was not an NFL commodity, he would have been sentenced to 3 months, max.

How do you figure that?

He fought and killed dogs for 7 years...

That's my guess based on a Class D felony.  He was the poster child for being dog fightin busted and still didn't get max time.  3 years was the max. sentence by law ( I wonder what the average sentence is for people busted for this).  How much time did Vicks cohorts get?  If it wasn't Vick "being made an example of" he would have got Stallworth time.

AJ - LC  Care to weigh in?

I don't know what the right punishment is, I'm just sayin

« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2009 at 10:00 by Big Virgil » Logged

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Aug 15, 2009 at 12:36 »

If Vick was not an NFL commodity, he would have been sentenced to 3 months, max.

How do you figure that?

He fought and killed dogs for 7 years...

That's my guess based on a Class D felony.  He was the poster child for being dog fightin busted and still didn't get max time.  3 years was the max. sentence by law ( I wonder what the average sentence is for people busted for this).  How much time did Vicks cohorts get?  If it wasn't Vick "being made an example of" he would have got Stallworth time.

AJ - LC  Care to weigh in?

I don't know what the right punishment is, I'm just sayin

Actually, the max for the Federal charge is 5 years.  He was sentenced to 23 months and served 18, I think.
On the Virginia state charge, he was actually sentenced to 3 years but the time was dropped for good behavior.  I don't know much about what the normal sentence is for dog fighting, but would be surprised if this isn't more than most convicted serve.

I do think he was made an example of.  And I feel he's served his time and deserves to get on with his life.  I'm just glad it's not as a Steeler.

When people bitch about Michael Vick - and I in no way condone any part of what he did - I wonder what they think of Donte Stallworth. I have a hard time reconciling his sentence with that of Michael Vick.
I love dogs more than most people, but Stallworth killed a person. While driving drunk.  And he got 23 days.

Give me a break.

I'm still the one with the boobs.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Aug 15, 2009 at 13:15 »

People and the media cry out after he signs with the team, because it is PC...

I thought the PC position was the redemption angle Dungy and Rev. Jesse were selling.

I think that's propaganda.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Aug 16, 2009 at 00:41 »

I feel Vick did his time and good for him.  I'm just happy the Steelers passed on him.  Just because he did his time, doesn't mean I have to respect the man.  IMO, I think the guy is a scumbag who has no remorse.

As for Stallworth, I feel he should still be in jail and never be allowed back in the NFL.  That's just too harsh these days though.  Dat's just crazy talk.  Afterall, he did stop after he killed a man while drunk and stoned...at least he stopped. :rolleyes:

*steps off soapbox 'quickly'*  
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2009 at 00:49 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Aug 17, 2009 at 07:58 »

I think that's propaganda.

It may be propaganda for Vick and Jesse.  I don't think it's propaganda for Dungy.  He gives every impression of being one of the most real and sincere people about everything that he says and does.  I don't think he would be doing this if he didn't believe in Vick's ability to be a better person.

As for the Stallworth comments, how about Leonard Little?  IIRC, he killed someone in a DUI, served no time, and then got another DUI without a license about a year later.  Never served time and never missed a game.

I do believe that people have the ability to change and be better.  Whether or not Vick has actually done that remains to be seen, but I'm hoping that he succeeds in getting his life together.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Aug 17, 2009 at 09:35 »

I know this sounds strange, but I'd like to see Vick hug a dog and let it lick his face. I can accept him back in the NFL, but he will be the villain in my eyes until I see him show some affection for dogs. He can talk to kids all he wants about the evils of dogfighting, but I never questioned whether or not he cared for kids in urban neighborhoods. It's his relationship with animals I question. And, by the way, Little and Stallworth will be villains to me no matter what the hell they do.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Aug 17, 2009 at 10:12 »

The Stallworth case, as I understand it:  Donte gets a $4.75M bonus, decides to go out at 2 a.m. with friends (Braylon Edwards, others) to celebrate.  They order a bottle of Patron and shots.  Donte goes home around 5 a.m., can't sleep, decides to go out for breakfast.  (At some point over the days prior to the accident, Donte also celebrated with some weed, but that timeline's unclear.)

He gets to the accident site, which is a 6-lane highway with a concrete divider.  He's doing 50 in a 40, and is in the far left lane.  He sees Reyes starting to cross and flashes his lights and honks the horn.  Reyes is crossing to catch a bus, though not in the crosswalk, and apparently with the idea of vaulting the concrete barrier.  This business of darting out into traffic is apparently pretty common down there, as waiting for the next bus means having to hang tight for 45 more minutes.  Stallworth thinks Reyes is hesitating to allow his car to pass, but then Reyes comes out when Stallworth can't stop.  Some accounts say Stallworth was not driving as if impaired, despite the .126 BAC.

I question Stallworth not using his brakes instead of signaling Reyes, who may never have heard or seen him.  I'm also not clear as to why the other cars were stopped, unless the signal had just changed.  But let's say it changed, Stallworth is set to go around, makes a bad call on not using the brakes, and it really is just a bad accident.  I can actually buy that.  The BAC and pot make the picture less clear:  Stallworth's about 200#, and given the timing of the accident, he probably had about 8-9 drinks, with a couple of hours to straighten up some.  Doesn't sound like he was raging drunk, like .19, but that's little consolation.  At the very least, the BAC would seem to have made him a little impatient, if not impaired.

On the plus side, he didn't flee the scene.  He called the cops, was very cooperative, and settled with the family without taking it to court.  Seems like the minimum one would expect, but not every NFL player would have done the same.  To whatever degree he was impaired, it does sound to me like he wasn't driving like a maniac -- 50 mph doesn't scream wasted, 90 might have -- and the way the accident unfolded seems to put some portion of the blame on Stallworth and some on Reyes, sadly.  I don't know if Stallworth is genuinely remorseful -- if he "gets it" -- and I certainly put the life of even one human over that of any number of canines.

But the big difference is that Stallworth's incident as a one-off occurrence, and it did involve circumstance.  Yes, the BAC and failure to break put some of the blame on Stallworth, but if you were in his situation and credibly believed the person was stopping, it comes down to a split-second thing where he assumed the pedestrian not going to walk into traffic.  That's a very different set of circumstances from Vick.

Vick was given the choice to kill, or to stop what he was doing, over and over again for a period of FIVE YEARS.  He didn't just let dogs rip each other to death, he also participated in hanging them, and electrocuting them.  It takes a particular mindset to be able to numb out the idea that killing hundreds of dogs this way is wrong.  It's the kind of mindset that a Dahmer or any number of serial killers (who honed their killing chops on animals) might have exhibited.  A hunter values the deer he hunts, but the dog killer sees his kills as worthless, meaningless, just flesh to be bet on and discarded.  (He could have played poker with his buddies, or any number of other ways to amuse himself.)  And even if this activity occurs in some places in America, Vick was exposed to enough people with enough, well, civilization that he should have known better.  You don't think he ACTIVELY hid this from all but his closest dog-fighting buddies?  Why bother, if it's so accepted?  

The other thing is, he lied.  He lied to authorities, he lied to Goodell.  He was betting he could dodge this, with that player sense of entitlement that allows some guys to think they are above the law.

I'm not condoning Stallworth's actions.  He made errors with drinking and driving, with not using the brakes instead of signaling devices.  And the ultimate price is egregious.  But it's an accident.  Whatever the criticism of the law for this sort of thing may be, he didn't choose to do what he did, over and over.

Vick did.  And unlike Stallworth, once the crime occurred, he didn't man up.  Stallworth did.

Put yourself in either man's shoes.  I can see being in Stallworth's; that's human error.  I cannot see being in Vick's; that's just a mindset I cannot fathom.

Vick also had no moral compunction about giving a girl herpes during unprotected sex, when he knew he had the disease, and lying to her about his true identity. See the correlation?  He lies to escape any consequence.  All that matters is not what happens to the victim, but his own cheap pleasure.  No responsibility, no morality.  The only "mistake" in either incident is him getting caught.  Stallworth?  I think he understands his mistakes, and re-thinks what he could have done differently.  I think he feels some measure of interior pain.  Vick, not so much.  

A person with Vick's mindset doesn't have any capacity for empathy.  He can read a script and he can act like he's sorry, but nothing he does from here on would surprise me.  Hence, my prediction he's the athlete most likely to go OJ on us.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Aug 17, 2009 at 10:48 »

It's the kind of mindset that a Dahmer or any number of serial killers (who honed their killing chops on animals) might have exhibited.

That's funny, the wife didn't get to see the 60 Minutes interview, and she asked me what he looked like, and I described his eyes like "Dahlmer eyes". So, we're on the same page as to what we expect. I don't expect Mikey to go out hugging dogs, because I don't think he has it in him to sympathize for the ones he killed. He doesn't care for them at all.

But, I used to fry ants with my magnifying glass when I was a kid because the other kids did it. I wouldn't do it now. I just kill them humanely with chemicals. Just saying, people can change. He might become a dog lover. If he does, I'll be cool with him. hy would I keep holding it over his head at that point? But I don't see that happenenning . I see him doing the "kid's circuit" in which he visits urban kids and lectures them on the the dogfighting "mistake" he made. Don't get caught.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: