Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 26, 2014 at 02:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Active coach's winning percentages  (Read 558 times)
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« on: Aug 20, 2009 at 15:45 »

Where do you draw the line between good and bad? These include post season games. And who else is surprised Fisher is that far down on the list? How about Marbin Lewis with a better record coaching for an shitty organization like the Bengals than Turner has? I should post this on the Patriots board just to watch them loose their fucking minds trying to prop Bellichick up.
1.) Tomlin .694....
2.) Harbaugh .689....
3.) Sparano .647....
3.) Mike Smith .647....
5.) Bellichick .630....
6.) Reid .607....
7.) Holmgren .588....
8.) Phillips .569....
9.) Fox .567....
10.) Lovie Smith .560....
11.) McCarthy .560....
12.) Singletary .556....
12.) Whisenhunt .556....
14.) Coughlin .552....
15.) Fisher .551....
16.) Payton .520....
17.) Del Rio .515....
18.) Zorn .500....
19.) Childress .490....
20.) Marvin Lewis .479....
21.) Mangini .469....
22.) Kubiak .458....
23.) Turner .453....lol
24.) Haslet .436....
25.) Jauron .425....
26.) Crennel .375....

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2009 at 15:57 »

please do and provide a link.  that would make my week!   clap

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2009 at 08:29 »

And who else is surprised Fisher is that far down on the list?

Fisher=Cowher Lite

I actually like Fisher as a coach, but he is terribly overrated.

He wins less in the regular season than Cowher did, and has blown more than his fair share of playoff opportunities.  Difference is that Tennessee doesn't have the expectations of SteelerNation and the Steeler organization, so he is hailed as a "great coach" rather than a choke artist.  The fact that he seemed to have Cowher's/the Steelers number also contributes to that view. 

I did an analysis last year for my now-defunct blog looking at Jeff Fisher vs. Bill Cowher vs. the field.  Fisher has had many more mediocre seasons, many more losing seasons, and just as many playoff "busts" as Cowher.  His talent level has been consistently high (McNair, Mason, Haynesworth, Bullock, George, etc.) but he doesn't have much more success than a lot of other coaches, some of whom have been fired. 

The guy is a good coach, but I don't know that he is the great coach some make him out to be.  I hear how "amazing" he is and I just can't agree with that. 

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2009 at 09:58 »

1.) Tomlin .694....
2.) Harbaugh .689....
3.) Sparano .647....
3.) Mike Smith .647....

All coaches with one or two years only; a small statistical base, but each is impressive in his own way.  Tomlin inherited a pretty good team that had the post-SB doldrums, and many critics believed was stocked too heavily with aging talent.  He seems to give his coordinators a lot of leeway, but his laser focus on details is something Cowher never seemed to have, and his "big picture" strategy sounds like it was lifted from the all-time greats.  Scary how good he is so early on. 

Harbaugh inherited a talented team that was on the Billick yo-yo of mood swings and indiscipline.  Mrs. F. saw Mike Carey officiating a pre-season game and reminded me of the fiasco meltdown when the Ravens lost to the Lions in 2005, with 21 penalties and two ejections.  Billick just about had a stroke that game, and Ravens players were literally blowing gaskets every other play.  We laughed about it then, and we laughed about it now.  Anyway, Harbaugh seems to keep these guys on more of an even keel, but we'll need to see how he does over a longer period of time.

Sparano and Smith took teams that were in utter ruin.  The Dolphins were itching to go 0-fer before the Lions did it, and (coincidentally) it was the Ravens who helped them escape that fate.  But the 1-15 record that allowed Sparano to draft Jake Long at 1.1... who would have seen a playoff team emerge from that?  Even when Brady got hurt, the Patriots played well, the Jets had Favre, the Bills started red hot, but Sparano guides the Fins to the playoffs?  Pretty damned amazing.  The sledding gets tougher now, so again, we'll see how he does.

Smith inherited the post-Vick meltdown and post-quitter-Petrino garbage Falcons, and he takes a 4-12 team with a rookie QB and nowhere near the talent that Harbaugh inherited, in a tough NFC South with the Saints, Panthers, and Bucs presumably light years better, and makes the playoffs?  Like Sparano, one of the most amazing turnarounds in recent memory.  Both these guys get it, but we'll see.  We'll see.  It's be tough for Sparano or Smith to maintain this level of win percent; Harbaugh has more to work with in a division with the asinine Browns and the ever-meandering Bengals.

5.) Bellichick .630....
6.) Reid .607....
7.) Holmgren .588....

I remember back in the Maxim Pick 'Em game days (when I won a fucking hibachi grill that is this site's namesake, but COULD have won a fucking Caribbean trip, not that I'm still pissed or anything), I'd offer my take on the week's games.  At one point in 2001, I posted on the ESPN boards that the Patriots were just a miserable joke and easy money was to be had betting against them every week.  We know how that turned out.  For years, I couldn't accept that they weren't flukes.  And all the cheating stuff aside, the adorable Hobo of Foxborough has been able to make chicken salad out of chicken shit quite often, and has maintained a system, a culture of excellence similar to our Steelers' own but in a parallel evil universe.  We hate him, but we have to grudgingly admit he's one of the best coaches.  And after 9 years, to be that high in the win percentage, is damned impressive.  Reid's had 10 years, and I have no idea why Holmgren's on that list, but between Green Bay and Seattle, he did coach 16 years.  Of course, the NFC North was weak when Holmgren was there, and the NFC West was too when he was there.  Plus he's a whiny ass motherfucking bitch.  Reid and the Eagles, along with the Steelers and the Patriots, have kept one of the best and most consistent programs going.  It's just that Reid is following Cowher and Fisher as guys with a ceiling, chokers.  I can see Reid lasting long enough to finally win one, but I doubt it will be with McNabb, and losing Johnson as DC hurts.  Oh, and Reid may just drop dead at any minute from morbid obesity, so there's that.

8.) Phillips .569....

The guy took three teams, the Cowboys (the Bills, '98-2000, the Elway Broncos '93-'94) that had a lot of talent, and has shown the world that if you are a giant softee marshmallow, you will never win shit.  Schottenheimer could never win the big one, but at least he wasn't a creampuff dickweed.  A very good DC, to be sure (Chargers, Falcons, Broncos, Eagles, Saints).  With Cowher (for a while), Fisher, and Reid, you could argue that the failure to win the big one was an inability to gameplan the big one.  They can play chess all day with guys in the park, but sit them down with a Grand Master.  Phillips, like Norv Turner, just can't make the leap in class.  Wade Phillips would be best used if taken to a campground, stuck on a stick, and slowly toasted over a campfire.

9.) Fox .567....

Another Cowher Lite.  Fiery guy who emphasizes defense, the running game, and sticks with a QB long past the expiration date.  Seriously... Delhomme turns the rock over 6 times and you extend him?  Welcome to the Middle Cowher Years.  Not a bad coach, but we'll see if he survives this phase.

10.) Lovie Smith .560....

Lovie's a Kiffin protege who guided his team to the Super Bowl... with Rex Grossman as QB.  That counts for something.  Still, he makes some boner decisions that make you wonder if he's got what it takes.  Of course, Cowher had his issues early on, too; I've tried to block the Kent Graham clock management issues era out of my mind.

11.) McCarthy .560....

McCarthy is a guy who's a decent enough coach, I suppose, seems like a .560 kinda guy.  I can't for the life of me really put my finger on anything about his personality, or coaching style or philosophy, or remember one incident about the guy that really stands out.  That's what "mediocrity, or slightly above mediocrity" is all about.

12.) Singletary .556....
12.) Whisenhunt .556....

Not bad, considering.  The Niners have flatlined since Eddie DeBartolo skeedaddled.  Singletary has been a pretty stabilizing force, but we'll see if he's more than "I played with the '85 Bears and I don't take your shit, son."  Whiz took the Cards, the epitome of failure, to the Super Bowl, against all odds.  But, notably, in a division of historic softness, and by going on a hugely improbable run.  We'll see what Whiz is made of over the next two years. 

14.) Coughlin .552....
15.) Fisher .551....

Coughlin and Fisher will be forever tied to Cowher and memory of the old AFC North.  Fisher is Cowher Lite, as noted.  Coughlin was always the Camp Nazi, the stringent disciplinarian, the old school guy who was speaking a different language from his players.  To his credit, he unpuckered somewhat of late, and won a Super Bowl.  OK, that leaves Fisher as the only one of those three from the old days not to be able to play the odds of the waiting game long enough.  He has put together a Titans team that has a solid running game, a solid defense, and a QB who can't win the big o-- hey, isn't that the Steelers circa 2001 all over again?  Hmm, by my estimation, then, all he has to do is draft a Big Ben in 2011 and win the big game in 2012, when he's 89.  I the meantime, Coughlin still has a team in the Giants that could very easily head back to the Super Bowl, even with He Who Looks Like a Toe, Eli.

16.) Payton .520....
17.) Del Rio .515....
18.) Zorn .500....
19.) Childress .490....
20.) Marvin Lewis .479....
21.) Mangini .469....

Welcome to Mediocrity, USA.  Each one of these guys is a dunderheaded goobernoodle for one reason or another.  They show some flash or hint of breaking out of being mediocre, but then turn around and do something so stupid that it leaves you scratching your head.  Each guy can be a punchline in his own way, and I'll say right now that if any one of these guys ever wins a Super Bowl, I'll be fucking amazed.  Zorn may have the best chance of pulling his head out of his ass, but he works for Danny Snyder.  Seriously, can any of these guys be more over-rated?  "Oh, the Saints have a great shot in the NFC this year (again)..."  No they don't.  Insert the other coaches' teams into that same statement, and repeat:  "No... they... don't." 

22.) Kubiak .458....

Kubiak's a smart guy who took over a fucking awful mess, endured some setbacks like Schaub getting injured and Sage Rosenfels setting the land speed record for turnovers in a game (versus the Colts last year), and may finally be getting his shot.  Can he be the great coordinator who gets over the head coaching speedbump?  Can he hack it in the ultra-competitive AFC South, with Manning's Colts, the still-tough Titans, and the up-and-down Jags?  This is Kubiak's litmus year.  I think the Texans have stockpiled some solid talent, and may well surprise.  But you can't live on promises forever.

23.) Turner .453....

See Wade Phillips.  Actually, Turner's a guy smart money would always bet against winning the big one, but he's fielding a solid team again this year in San Diego.  If I were going to bet one or the other of Phillips or Turner winning it all, it'd be Turner.  But then I remember, "Finny, come back to the real world..." and I smell the coffee and all is good.

24.) Haslet .436....

Uhhh, what?  Coaching the Florida Tuskers gets you on this list?  Haslett's rookie year with the Saints he upset the Greatest Show on Yadda Yadda Yadda in the playoffs.  I remember being out with the missus and seeing it on a tiny bar TV and thinking, good for the ex-Steelers guy.  But he's yet another coordinator who can't etc. etc. etc.

25.) Jauron .425....

And yet another coordinator who can't.

26.) Crennel .375....

And another who can't.  The Belichick coordinators seem to be imbued with extra hype, and extra flopitude.  Charlie Weis has a schedule this year that should easily be a 10, 11 win season.  Prepare the excuses now, you fat fuck.  BTW, who is Crennel coaching?  Girls soccer?  Too bad for Romeo.  The Browns will literally suck the life out of anyone.  Butch Davis goes from a successful Miami program to the Browns to a psychiatric facility where he's blinking and mumbling about Clouseau.  Romeo's voided his bowels in his diapers every day since he was canned, sitting in front of the television watching Judge Judy all day and eating Chef Boyardee out of the can.  Which brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Mangini and the imminent 1-15 season that awaits idiot Browns fans.  How long until Mangini's stunt doubling for Kevin James in "Paul Blart, Mall Cop II: Yes, It Gets Even Fucking WORSE?"

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2009 at 10:07 »

Oops, forgot Holmgren's toast.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2009 at 11:48 »

8.) Phillips .569....

The guy took three teams, the Cowboys (the Bills, '98-2000, the Elway Broncos '93-'94) that had a lot of talent, and has shown the world that if you are a giant softee marshmallow, you will never win shit.  Schottenheimer could never win the big one, but at least he wasn't a creampuff dickweed.  A very good DC, to be sure (Chargers, Falcons, Broncos, Eagles, Saints).  With Cowher (for a while), Fisher, and Reid, you could argue that the failure to win the big one was an inability to gameplan the big one.  They can play chess all day with guys in the park, but sit them down with a Grand Master.  Phillips, like Norv Turner, just can't make the leap in class.  Wade Phillips would be best used if taken to a campground, stuck on a stick, and slowly toasted over a campfire.

Wasn't Phillips the Bills coach when they pulled Flutie after a very successful season to put in Johnson (can't remember which one - tall and talentless is all I recall) in the playoffs (first round loss) because he "looked more like a QB?"  Enough said about Wade's coaching acumen.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2009 at 12:37 »

8.) Phillips .569....

Wasn't Phillips the Bills coach when they pulled Flutie after a very successful season to put in Johnson (can't remember which one - tall and talentless is all I recall) in the playoffs (first round loss) because he "looked more like a QB?"  Enough said about Wade's coaching acumen.

Quote from: Wiki

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Aug 21, 2009 at 17:07 »

And who else is surprised Fisher is that far down on the list?

Im not real surprised, there were several years the Titans were downright disgraceful.  they were in cap hell every other year it seemed.  I believe the last time they sold off all their high salaries, Willie parker gashed them for about 200 yards in the home opener.

they (titans) have gotten away in recent years of high profile FAs killing their chances and concentrating on the draft.  other than that doucher Vince Young, they have been quite solid.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: