Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 25, 2014 at 01:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Go White!  (Read 572 times)
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« on: Aug 24, 2009 at 06:35 »

Jeff McIntosh/The Canadian Press
Hockey Canada reveals Red and White rosters<

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #1 on: Aug 24, 2009 at 07:33 »

Russia V. Canada will be epic. Raw talent against unbelievable depth.
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2009 at 11:26 »

That Canadian roster is just ridiculous. How do you cut any of those guys?

"Sorry Mr. Brodeur, you're just not good enough. The receptionist will validate your parking stub on your way out".

I just don't see any other country matching Canada's goaltending. Luongo, Ward, Brodeur, Fleury and Mason? Are you kidding me? How do you pick just two?

I also think Jordan Staal has a tough time making the final roster.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
BleedGreen710
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #3 on: Aug 25, 2009 at 12:55 »

I was telling a buddy earlier that I thought Jordan Staal could definitely help Canada, but I don't think that is necessarily the direction they want to go right now.  So, in other words,  iagree But seriously though...that group of players is absolutely ridiculous......

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 3rd round draft pick.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Aug 26, 2009 at 19:37 »

When it comes down to win or go home, it's anyone's tournament.  It's not a seven game playoff series.  Just ask Canada and Russia after the 1998 games when Canada was the heavy favorite only to lose to the CR, who went on to win the tournament by beating another favorite in team Russia.  A hot goalie here and a lucky bounce or two there and it's a different tournament.  In the CR's case, they had a very hot Dominik Hasek playing in net for them back in 1998.  Technically, it comes down to who can mold a team together the fastest, have a hot goaltender and get on a lucky streak at the right time, not who has the best team on paper.  IMO, Sweden is a team I would watch out for if I were Canada or Russia.  They have a nice mix of veteran leadership and young legs.  They also have a good goaltender who's capable of getting hot at any time with a good team in front of him.  I'm not stating that they will automatically win it all, I'm simply stating that in a tournament such as this one, anyone can pull it off on any given night.  

Canada's goaltending situation should be interesting to watch.  If we are going by the last time we saw these goaltenders play, Fleury should be the starting goaltender in all right.  Both Brodeur and Luongo are coming off horrible playoff appearances.  The last time I saw Luongo, he was giving up seven goals to Chicago.  The last time I saw Brodeur, he was having a on-ice mental breakdown against Carolina after giving up two softies late in the game. The one memory Canadian fans have of Fleury sporting a Canadian jersey was his brain fart back in the 2005 WJ gold medal game when he attempted to put his notoriously bad stick handling skills to use and it wasn't pretty.  While Mason had a good rookie year, I'm not sure how confident they are going with a young goaltender in this type of situation.  IMO when all is said and done, Brodeur, Luongo and Ward will get the three spots on the starting roster.  Personally, I would take Fleury over Ward, but my gut tells me Ward will win the third spot.  While many would consider the goaltending position Canada's strong point, I think it could possibly be one of their main problems when or if they run into one of those teams who are on one of those hot/lucky streaks.

Also, BG710 I'm with you when it comes to Jordan Staal.  IMO, there is no way he makes the roster this time around.  When a team possibly has Jonathan Toews as their extra forward, you know the chances are slim to none that Staal makes that team.  On any other team, he would be centering a third or possibly a second line, but on a team that is offensively stacked like Canada's he doesn't stand much of a chance to crack the roster.

Anyways, GO USA!

« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2009 at 19:42 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: