Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 02, 2014 at 00:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Offensive Line Rankings  (Read 786 times)
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Aug 25, 2009 at 17:07 »

http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/nfl/news;_ylt=AhsothxA7j5aKxq0SHlXczb.uLYF?slug=expertsmg-oline_2009&prov=rotoexperts&type=lgns

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
DocLogic77
N00b

Redneck-Esque

« Reply #1 on: Aug 26, 2009 at 01:47 »

http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/nfl/news;_ylt=AhsothxA7j5aKxq0SHlXczb.uLYF?slug=expertsmg-oline_2009&prov=rotoexperts&type=lgns

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public, with the public's money - Alexis De Tocqueville
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Aug 26, 2009 at 07:16 »

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Aug 26, 2009 at 11:59 »

Need I rant.

No.  I'll do a little for you.  And just a little, as it has become a pointless exercise.

First, on FWP:  I believe that he has improved his running between the tackles.  But we only see this when he has a chance to run between the tackles, which is rare.  Our Oline has steadily declined since 2004, the last time that I would say they were truly great.  They were good in '05, but certainly not the road graders they were in '04. 

I say all this to make the point that FWP needs at least a chance to make any yardage inside, and those chances have been few.  In the SB, he had to give his best Dancing with the Stars impression just to get positive yards.  He bounces outside because it is rare that he has any room inside, and I doubt there are many guys in the leagu who have gained over 1000 yards in the last four years that have had so many DL wrapped around their legs as soon as the ball was snapped.

I believe this Oline can be better, but it won't happen until--here it comes--BA and the offensive staff change the system.  The line is not as fast, smart, or talented as most of the Steeler lines in decades past.  It boggles the mind that we cannot adjust to the personnel we have rather than trying to force square pegs into a round hole.  These guys will never be great, but they could be better if Arians would drop the slow-developing/pulling guard and tackle/delays and draw plays that he continues to try.  Let these guys go straight-up, hat-on-hat, zone blocking scheme and they would look much better, IMO. 

One more thing on FWP and Mendenhall:  We are using an impossible standard of comparison for them.  Not too many guys had the footwork/power/inside presence of Jerome Bettis, and he usually had more oline help.  Sorry, but we can't reincarnate the Bus...although I too would like to see someone a little more like that carrying the ball.  Mendenhall has had no chance to prove himself, for heaven's sake.  Lay off the guy and let's see what he can do.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
DocLogic77
N00b

Redneck-Esque

« Reply #4 on: Aug 26, 2009 at 12:37 »

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Aug 26, 2009 at 13:29 »

Doc, I think Mendy can be special, but to say he will be (very, very) special is also assuming a lot based on very little data. 

Let's just let the players speak on the field.

BTW, Football Outsiders had our run blocking 24th last year, and our pass blocking 29th.  Seems about right.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #6 on: Aug 26, 2009 at 14:06 »

He gets no respect because he earns his stats with home run balls.  His ability to sustain drives and get tough first downs is below average at best.  He has gotten better with his patience but still lacks the power or hands that a truly well rounded RB needs in the NFL.  Mendenhall had better step up because we desperately need a back better than Parker.

I disagree. I can't punish the guy for 65 yard TD runs. A short yardage back he is not, but he is a very capable starter IMO. With our oline it's damn near impossible to sustain drives by yourself. I can't put that on Willie. With our oline and OC I'd prefer the RB that is always a threat for the homerun ball, rather than a guy who gets a consistent 3.0 yards per carry.

Also, it is important to point out that the traditional 3 down running back is a thing of the past. Most teams are looking for that 1, 2 punch. I would have no problems with Willie and Mendenhall splitting carries if Mendenhall proves he's up for it. I think MM is a great 3rd down back too. I wouldn't mind seeing all three get significantly PT this year to be honest.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
DocLogic77
N00b

Redneck-Esque

« Reply #7 on: Aug 26, 2009 at 17:04 »

Doc, I think Mendy can be special, but to say he will be (very, very) special is also assuming a lot based on very little data. 

Let's just let the players speak on the field.

BTW, Football Outsiders had our run blocking 24th last year, and our pass blocking 29th.  Seems about right.

Fair enough but what I will say is this...I watched alot of Mendenhall in college and the guy has the "it" factor.  He has that elusive combo of power, speed and hands.  His vision is very good...and I wish he could teach his patience to Parker.  He doesn't cut as well as some of the elite backs but overall he has all the intangibles.  I am eager to see him get more PT.

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public, with the public's money - Alexis De Tocqueville
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Aug 27, 2009 at 18:10 »

He gets no respect because he earns his stats with home run balls.  His ability to sustain drives and get tough first downs is below average at best.  He has gotten better with his patience but still lacks the power or hands that a truly well rounded RB needs in the NFL.  Mendenhall had better step up because we desperately need a back better than Parker.

I disagree. I can't punish the guy for 65 yard TD runs. A short yardage back he is not, but he is a very capable starter IMO. With our oline it's damn near impossible to sustain drives by yourself. I can't put that on Willie. With our oline and OC I'd prefer the RB that is always a threat for the homerun ball, rather than a guy who gets a consistent 3.0 yards per carry.

Also, it is important to point out that the traditional 3 down running back is a thing of the past. Most teams are looking for that 1, 2 punch. I would have no problems with Willie and Mendenhall splitting carries if Mendenhall proves he's up for it. I think MM is a great 3rd down back too. I wouldn't mind seeing all three get significantly PT this year to be honest.

I agree.  I think that Parker would have many more yards, between the tackle or otherwise, if we had a better than mediocre OL. 

My main complaint is not with Parker's rushing ability...it is his weakness as a receiver. Makes it difficult on play action and passing downs. BA either has to substitute him out, or just have a wasted checkdown, cause he ain't catching shit.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: