Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 19, 2014 at 06:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which two should we keep? - Redman, Davis, Summers, Mendenhall  (Read 623 times)
koehla
No longer a N00b!

« on: Sep 04, 2009 at 10:03 »

Obviously Fast Wille and Mewelde make the team.  Which two of these four stay:

Redman, Davis, Summers, Mendenhall?

LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2009 at 10:09 »

I know that Davis is the veteran and the jack-of-all-trades, but he has zero upside.

I'd rather they keep Frank than Davis. The FO absolutely must sign Redman. I am more impressed
every time I see him.

Mendenhall is not getting cut. He has at least 2 more years to show whether he has IT or not.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2009 at 10:10 »

Mendenhall will obviously make the roster and he'll be suiting up on game day.  There's no way they're ready to throw in the towel on a 1st round pick who has seen very little action.

My other pick would be Redman.

And if you're counting FB then one of Davis and Summers makes it too.  Seems like they carried 5 backs last season.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2009 at 10:11 »

I'd rather they keep Frank than Davis. The FO absolutely must sign Redman. I am more impressed
every time I see him.

Ditto.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2009 at 10:30 »

Mendenhall ain't getting cut.  Period.

Between the Zierlein blocking scheme (no longer PBS) and Arians's offense, which features nada in power running, the traditional FB out of the I formation is a relic.  We have jack of all master of shit Davis, who's banking heavily on being a Tomlin fave (for whatever unfathomable reason) against Summers and Redman.  Could be we keep both, and carry 5 as jonzr mentioned.  Summers looks like a perfect PS prospect, and needs polishing: he's not game-ready by any stretch.  Redman is, but more as STs and short yardage guy: he's not a FB, so far as I can see.  Of course, we have the H-back battle between McHugh (who should be PUPped) and Johnson, who despite the penalties is a superior in-line blocker.  If any of Redman/McQ/Johnson can do ANYTHING as a traditional FB, cutting Davis is a no-brainer.  Would love to see Redman do that, in a LeRon McClain sorta role.

Right now, I think Summers goes to the PS and Redman is close to in.  Are we really going to dress the 3 HBs plus Redman game day?  That's the 64K question.  I don't know that he has the perceived (by coaching staff) versatility of Davis.  That is, can he catch a screen and go nowhere with it with the same aplob as Davis, etc.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2009 at 12:52 »

That is, can he catch a screen and go nowhere with it with the same aplob as Davis, etc.

Not as good as "Gets two yards when the team needs three."  But still humorous.  Grin

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
DocLogic77
N00b

Redneck-Esque

« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2009 at 14:06 »

Kinda ridiculous if you ask me to throw Mendenhall in there.  Mendenhall is a given...and Redman is the clear choice.
Davis needs gone.  The problem.  Who plays FB?

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public, with the public's money - Alexis De Tocqueville
schnoah

« Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 2009 at 14:56 »

1250 just reported cuts will be released at 4pm today... Redman is not going to make the team... neither is Vincent, or Capizzi

Here We Go Steelers!!!!  
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Sep 04, 2009 at 17:47 »

That is, can he catch a screen and go nowhere with it with the same aplob as Davis, etc.

Not as good as "Gets two yards when the team needs three."  But still humorous.  Grin

Thx.

Typo on "aplomb."

I try not to recycle...  Wink

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: