Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 22, 2014 at 21:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steelers sign Redman to practice squad  (Read 503 times)
SteelerSal
N00b

« on: Sep 06, 2009 at 12:08 »

Steelers sign Redman to practice squad

Sunday, September 06, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Rookie running back Isaac Redman cleared waivers and the Steelers signed him this afternoon to their eight-man practice squad.

Redman was the surprise hit of the preseason. He led the Steelers in scoring with three rushing touchdowns and also with 145 yards rushing. In nine chances over two live goal-line drills in training camp practices, he scored seven times.

He quickly picked up the nickname "Redzone" Redman but when the Steelers kept just four running backs, down one from last season, Redman was released on Saturday.

No one else claimed him and he joined seven others on their practice squad.
Among others on their practice squad are center A.Q. Shipley, defensive end Sonny Harris -- both draft picks this year -- rookie defensive tackle Steve McLendon, running back Justin Vincent, tight end Dezmond Sherrod and rookie wide receiver Tyler Grisham.

SteelerSal
N00b

« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2009 at 12:48 »

Update...

Defensive end Sonny Harris, the Steelers' sixth-round draft pick, was poised to sign to their practice squad when he was told the Carolina Panthers had claimed him off waivers. He said goodbye to his former teammates in the locker room.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09249/996099-66.stm#ixzz0QLab4xS5

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2009 at 13:53 »

Update...

Defensive end Sonny Harris, the Steelers' sixth-round draft pick, was poised to sign to their practice squad when he was told the Carolina Panthers had claimed him off waivers. He said goodbye to his former teammates in the locker room.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09249/996099-66.stm#ixzz0QLab4xS5

Two out of three ain't bad.  And, per Capizzi, Dre Frazier, Silverback, et al., guys who go sometimes come back.  So, best of luck and maybe we see ya again.

Glad we got Q & Redman.  The rest, well, OK.  Would like to see some S and ILB guys, but whatever.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
SteelerSal
N00b

« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2009 at 15:43 »

Donovan Woods wasdded to the PS!!  headbang

http://kdka.com/steelers/Steelers.practice.squad.2.1167507.html

Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Sep 06, 2009 at 19:24 »

Great news. Glad to have Redman back in the fold. I'd have no concern if one of our second-team LBs goes down if we can plug in a healthy Donovan Woods in their stead. Good that he made it through for now.

Shame about Harris. As I said in the other thread, this was my 'surprise' cut and I must say I am not surprised to see him get picked up. You cannot keep everyone, however, and it's time to move on.

My only other observations from the PS list are that the team must see something more than just a roster spot with Justin Vincent and with Sherrod sticking again I see no use in IR'ing McHugh.

Vincent split time at LSU with other pro guys like Addai and Jacob Hester. He got a lot more of a workload this preseason than I anticipated. I know Mewelde was out and that FWP and Mendenhall would be babied but I still saw more Vincent carries than I ever anticipated. Perhaps they see something there. Perhaps not, but it is worth noting.

I realize the FB situation is down to an unproven rookie (Tank Summers) and a reserve rook TE (David Johnson) but as I said before Arians rarely ever uses the FB. Spaeth and Heath are guys that can fill in an absolute emergency. I'm fine with just dressing the rookies there but what was the need for retaining McHugh? By IR'ing him he is ineligible for the entire season anyway. Why keep paying him to rehab? I don't see us counting on him down the road. Especially with Sherrod right there on the PS. Oh well.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: