Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 23, 2014 at 15:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pats fleece Raiders - Again  (Read 467 times)
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« on: Sep 06, 2009 at 16:29 »

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4450767

Seymour's a good player, but a first round pick?  Likely a top 10 pick?  For a D lineman at 30?  Not a good deal for Oakland IMO.  Then again, since they blow all their first round picks anyway, maybe not so bad.

Also, Pats SING Kendall Simmons.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2009 at 19:03 »

in essence the patriots have traded Seymour for 2 2nd rounders maybe.  they couldnt afford a top 10 pick to begin with.  Good news for Steelers since it weakens an already weak defense.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2009 at 19:30 »

Seymour was a great player for the Pats, but not so much lately; injuries.  Raiders giving a 2011 R1 ~ say a 2010 R2.  Is that worth it?  Well, Pats are moving salary and continuing to purge the geriatrics (see also Bruschi, Angel of the Lord).  The Raiders meanwhile need some damned help versus the run.  So, they ship Derrick Burgess to NE and get Dick Seymour from, in essence, swapped pick values notwithstanding.  Burgess is 31 this year, and is on a declining tackle/sack curve; Seymour will be 30, and his numbers stack better, with 2005 and 07 injury-truncated.  Still, Pats get out ahead of the curve on salary, and Burgess is a stopgap. 

NE gives a 2010 R3 and a 2011 R5, Oak gives a 2011 R1.  To level those values, in 2010 picks it's ~ NE giving a R3 and a R6, Oak giving a R2.  Seymour's better now but will cost more, Burgess is transitioning from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB.  Smells to me like they're getting Sapp all over again, overpaying late, and Belichick is trying to fill in holes in his roster. 

I just don't know that the Burgess deal was as great as made out, but it seems less rapacious than what Oak gave up for Seymour. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2009 at 19:47 »

I still think Seymour is an impactful, difference making player. Sure he's getting up there and has missed some time. But he is a guy that you notice very quickly if he is there or not. That is saying something at a spot like DE/DT.

Still think it's a pretty good trade for New England but I can't stand the consensus internet stat geek summation that the Patriots can just keep losing name players without any drop-off to the current team.

Joey Porter's team won the AFC East last season.

Kendall Simmons' team won the Super Bowl last season.

Tom Brady's coming off of a serious injury and hasn't won the Super Bowl since Roethlisberger was a rookie.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2009 at 12:46 »

Seymour was a great player for the Pats, but not so much lately; injuries.  Raiders giving a 2011 R1 ~ say a 2010 R2.  Is that worth it? 

Don't forget (and don't know if it was mentioned elsewhere...) that by getting a '11 R1 vs. a '10 R1, the Pats will likely get a very high draft pick that will likely be subjected to a rookie cap.  Makes it that much more valuable, IMO.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Sep 08, 2009 at 12:48 »

Seymour was a great player for the Pats, but not so much lately; injuries.  Raiders giving a 2011 R1 ~ say a 2010 R2.  Is that worth it? 

Don't forget (and don't know if it was mentioned elsewhere...) that by getting a '11 R1 vs. a '10 R1, the Pats will likely get a very high draft pick that will likely be subjected to a rookie cap.  Makes it that much more valuable, IMO.

Didn't I see Goodell had said '10 might be an uncapped year?  That would be a bad time to have extra first rounders.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: