Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 01, 2014 at 07:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just wondering...  (Read 528 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Sep 10, 2009 at 23:29 »

Why do the Steelers ever bother to huddle up?

Or let BA call the plays from the sidelines?

Screw the run game, it ain't never gonna go with the line and coaching we have.  Just let Ben throw it.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
DocLogic77
N00b

Redneck-Esque

« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2009 at 23:44 »

Preacherman...I think you could be our new OC.  No...seriously.

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public, with the public's money - Alexis De Tocqueville
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2009 at 23:47 »

Preacherman...I think you could be our new OC.  No...seriously.

We've asked before, but he won't leave the church.
 angry4

I'm still the one with the boobs.
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2009 at 06:43 »

Let's just accept the reality of the situation, we are a "Run and Shoot" offense minus the "Run".

Poor offensive line + unimaginative run play calling = 36 yards on 23 caries (1.6 yards per carry)

It's embarrassing for a Steeler team.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
RoundTripperKipper
N00b

« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2009 at 08:34 »

I am not ready to bail on the o-line yet. They played very well in pass protection. 3 sacks were clearly because of the style of Ben's play. As for the running game, Titans have an excellent run D. Also, when the holes were there Parker did not hit them. He was tippy-toeing his way through. I thought Mendy did a better job even though he was pretty weak. Let's get through 4 games before we determine wheter or not the o-line stinks. I thought Starks did a great job on Vanden Bosch. The issue was James Jones was shooting the gap between Hartwig and Kemo/Essex. They did not seem to adjust to that particular stunt, but otherwise did well picking up the blitzes.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2009 at 08:46 »

I am not ready to bail on the o-line yet. They played very well in pass protection. 3 sacks were clearly because of the style of Ben's play. As for the running game, Titans have an excellent run D. Also, when the holes were there Parker did not hit them. He was tippy-toeing his way through. I thought Mendy did a better job even though he was pretty weak. Let's get through 4 games before we determine wheter or not the o-line stinks. I thought Starks did a great job on Vanden Bosch. The issue was James Jones was shooting the gap between Hartwig and Kemo/Essex. They did not seem to adjust to that particular stunt, but otherwise did well picking up the blitzes.

Yeah, the OL was fine after some early yips, but notice the TTs never rushed more than 4.  Just wait until we play the Ratties, e.g.  I'm not completely sold on these guys as anything more than adequate pass blockers, and even then it looked like the TTs changed their rush schemes in the 2H, to their detriment.

Bad, bad things with PB assignments early on.  Starks had to compensate for Kemo being out of position, had a shot at any one of several rushers, whiffed on all.  Essex was just a fucking pussy early on.  Thank goodness we extended Hartwig, who just got tooled a couple of times.  Colon may have been the best of the bunch, surprisingly, and the illegal formation calls weren't on him, but rather the TTs... Odd.

The rush blocking was, predictable, like trying to find daylight in a wall of shit.  Yeah, couple of times Parker coulda woulda shoulda bounced outside but stuck to the inside.  As noted by myself, his speed is great but vision not so.  Mendenhall grunted out some good short yardage after getting hit, so Arians promptly yanked him.  Dumb fuck.  The one miscommunication where he ran into Ben, he still got a yard, but Arians can't see that as a tween the tackles guy vs. the TTs, RM was superior to FWP.  That's on BA.  Moore was the back who played well against the TTs both games, and the reason is simple.  FWP comes in, it's a running play.  RM, ditto.  MM, could be a pass option.  We just don't throw to FWP or RM, which is a shame because RM is actually decent, though not as good as MM.  Still, need to set the subterfuge, which BA cannot comprehend.  Also uses TEs in as 3rd down blockers rather than the HBs, which, hey, they're probably superior blockers, but again, it's giving the hand away every damned time. 

Basically, we telegraph our run plays.  The times FWP was in as decoy on second downs, I and every fucking player on the field knew we were throwing it.  There's just no excuse for not mixing it up.

Essex and Kemo had better watch their backs.  Foster.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2009 at 08:55 »

I agree with Finny's assessment, and will add one thing:  we won last night because of superior conditioning, and we as fans better get used to these kinds of games because our OL will have to make up in grit what it lacks in good.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2009 at 08:59 »

Basically, we telegraph our run plays.  The times FWP was in as decoy on second downs, I and every fucking player on the field knew we were throwing it.  There's just no excuse for not mixing it up.

That's what I thought as well.  And generally speaking, every gap was filled on those plays and there was no outside option when sought.  Their defense is pretty bad ass.

http://twitter.com/MG_Steelers/status/3911312120

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2009 at 09:04 »

That's what I thought as well.  And generally speaking, every gap was filled on those plays and there was no outside option when sought.  Their defense is pretty bad ass.

http://twitter.com/MG_Steelers/status/3911312120

One other thing: their LBs aren't stupid.  That Titans roster even without Haynesworth is badass pretty much at every spot across the board.  If the DL is stuffing the gap, their LBs aren't going to get caught flatfooted if FWP does kick outside.  So had he tried, someone in teal would likely have been waiting.

We got caught uncharacteristically with no one at home when Johnson reversed field, but FWP isn't having the time to do that.  Our blockers are getting push or separation, and they can't buy any time.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: