Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 23, 2014 at 08:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2009-2010 Season  (Read 4090 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« on: Sep 13, 2009 at 21:00 »

And unfortunately it starts off with some sad and unfortunate news...

Coach Dan Bylsma said assistant Mike Yeo will continue to work with defensemen and the power play, with new assistant Tony Granato assigned to the forwards and penalty kill. "As this year goes along, [assignments] will be less rigid, and each coach will take turns running the meetings before the game, and we'll switch up," Bylsma said. ... Cooke missed the team's visit Thursday to the White House because he was dealing with complications related to a house he is having built in Ontario. ... The Penguins exhibition games Sept. 21 at Montreal, Sept. 22 at Toronto and Sept. 27 at Detroit will be among 10 games televised by the NHL Network.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09256/997705-61.stm#ixzz0R2fy0fNq
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2009 at 19:46 »

EDIT:

Sykora signs one year deal with the Wild for $1.6 million.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=291444
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2009 at 13:53 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2009 at 16:10 »

The Penguins pared 10 players from their training-camp roster today.

Forwards Keven Veilleux, Casey Pierro-Zabotel, Aaron Boogaard and Nicholas Petersen, defensemen Brian Strait, Alex Grant and Lane Caffaro and goalie Jordan Parise were assigned to the training camp of their farm team in Wilkes-Barre, while forward Nathan Moon was returned to his junior team in Kington, Ontario and defenseman Jamie Hunt was released.

The Penguins will play an intra-squad game in Wilkes-Barre Thursday night.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09259/998540-100.stm#ixzz0RJ2qp8Qk
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2009 at 13:27 »

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09266/1000290-100.stm

Pens Cut 14. Also, did not know we signed Bayda, I must be out of the loop. Could end up being an excellent under the radar signing.

The Penguins made 14 roster cuts today, leaving 29 players in training camp.

Most were reassigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the American Hockey League. They are forwards Wade Brookbank, Luca Caputi, Dustin Jeffrey, Nick Johnson, Konstantin Pushkarev, Wyatt Smith, Eric Tangradi, Joe Vitale and Tim Wallace; defensemen Robert Bortuzzo, Jonathan D'Aversa and Chris Lee; and goaltender Brad Thiessen.

Defenseman Simon Despres, the Penguins' first-round draft pick this year, was returned to his junior team, Saint John.

Among those still competing for a roster spot are forwards Ryan Bayda, Paul Bissonnette and Chris Conner, and defensemen Deryk Engelland, Nate Guenin and Ben Lovejoy.

Goaltender Brent Johnson and Lovejoy, who were injured Tuesday night during a preseason game in Toronto, did not practice today.

Meanwhile, the Penguins' home and season opener, Oct. 2 against the New York Rangers at Mellon Arena, has sold out. The team that night will celebrate its Stanley Cup victory and raise its championship banner in a pregame ceremony

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09266/1000290-100.stm#ixzz0RxJgmTNi
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2009 at 13:29 by Merman1983 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2009 at 16:41 »

The one young offensive player who I've been impressed with the most has been Conner.  What he lacks in size, he makes up for in speed and a nose for the puck.  I've caught my fair share of practices and have seen the majority of our exhibition games and he always seemed to be involved in the play.  Another honorable mention is Tangradi.  I realize he has not played a meaningful NHL game to date, but he is the real deal in my opinion.  His build is a spitting image of Kevin Stevens and he plays the game like Stevens to a degree.  He has no fear of getting his hands dirty.  A blue collar type of player who from what I've seen during this offseason has a very underrated shot.

I'm sort of surprised Bayda and Bissonnette made the cut up to this point.  While Bayda looked good against Toronto and has not looked horrible for the most part, the guy only had 5 goals in 70 games last season and is obviously not known for his scoring touch.  I would have expected Caputi or Jeffrey before Bayda.  Bissonnette is nice to have if you are lacking a fighter and need some fourth line grit.  Fortunately, we have Rupp and Godard.  Much like Bayda, he doesn't bring much to the table when it comes to putting up points.  So unless they plan on releasing Godard, I see no reason why either of them are still on the roster.  I still feel they should give Kennedy the nod to play on that second line come October 2.

While I'm sure some would disagree, Engelland has impressed me more than Guenin and Lovejoy up to this point.  I'm glad to see them keep Engelland around for a longer look because he has earned it in my opinion.  While he struggled against Montreal, he looked solid against Toronto.  To be honest, Lovejoy has not shown me all that much this offseason.  He looked completely lost against Toronto.  When all is said and done though, I wouldn't be shocked to see them keep Lovejoy only because he has some experience at the NHL level.

When it comes to goaltending, what I feared most already occured with Johnson...he's injured (again).  Thankfully, we have a more than capable #2 in Curry who has looked much like he did last season when he was needed.  While Bylsma stated he only "tweaked" his knee, I'm not holding my breath when it comes to Johnson staying healthy.  Thank God for Curry, that's all I have to say.

« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2009 at 16:49 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2009 at 21:28 »

Lost 5-2 tonight to the B.J.'s.  Unfortunately that was not the only bad news...

Crosby leaves game in first period
Thursday, September 24, 2009
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Sidney Crosby knows groin injuries.

He's had enough of them over the years that he recognizes when one is significant enough that it shouldn't be ignored.

Like the one that forced him out of the Penguins' 5-2 exhibition loss to Columbus at Nationwide Arena tonight just 5 1/2 minutes into the first period.

And he knows when they're not so serious that they're likely to cause problems for an extended period.

Like, well, the one he got tonight.

Crosby said his groin had been bothering him for the past several days and continued to be tight during the pregame warmups. He took three shifts before removing himself from the game as a precaution.

"It was getting more sore," he said. "I thought that was kind of a red flag, to be careful."

Crosby said he will not skate today, but hopes to dress for the Penguins' exhibition finale in Detroit Sunday.

"Saturday, I'll try to get on the ice for however long, just test it out," he said. "I'd love to play Sunday. That's what I hope, but you really don't know with groins."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09267/1000634-100.stm#ixzz0S59N3qHt

I wouldn't even think about playing him on Sunday.  Why even risk it?  Give him the eight days off before the opener. 
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2009 at 21:46 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Sep 25, 2009 at 18:57 »

To go along with the Sykora signing, here is another former Penguin signing...

St. Louis, MO (Sports Network) - The St. Louis Blues signed veteran defenseman Darryl Sydor to a one-year contract on Friday.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=292536

While it shouldn't come as a surprise, Satan is still out there looking for work.  Also, NHLTV has been showing the SC finals from last season over the last few nights.  Game 5 is on tonight after the Sens/Bruins game. 
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 22:06 »

Thankfully it's a two-way contract...

The Penguins have signed winger Ryan Bayda, who came to training camp on a tryout, to a one-year, two-way contract.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09271/1001550-100.stm#ixzz0SSeFUFNz

Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #8 on: Sep 29, 2009 at 12:16 »

The Penguins have signed winger Ryan Bayda, who came to training camp on a tryout, to a one-year, two-way contract.

I like the Bayda signing, especially since it's a 2-way. The guy was always an enormous pain in the ass when we played Carolina, so it'll be nice to watch him be a pain in the ass for the Penguins. I'd say this signing pretty much means he's got a spot locked up out of camp.
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Sep 29, 2009 at 13:54 »

I like the Bayda signing, especially since it's a 2-way. The guy was always an enormous pain in the ass when we played Carolina, so it'll be nice to watch him be a pain in the ass for the Penguins. I'd say this signing pretty much means he's got a spot locked up out of camp.

Can someone please enlighten me on what it means that it's a 2-way contract. I'm retarded, so I don't know.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: