Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 24, 2014 at 05:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sweed Hurt; Timmons reinjures ankle  (Read 4497 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Sep 27, 2009 at 18:10 »

and continues to look like he took consistency tips from Nate Washington and if Wallace continues to play the way he did last week, Wallace will take that third spot.

I've seen enough.  Or should I watch him drop a couple more in a close game?

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 08:09 »

I've seen enough to say this.  How do we expect Sweed to ever develop consistency when he never gets any looks... until, that is, critical EZ receptions?  "OK, we're NEVER going to throw to you, but when we do, it will be with all the pressure in the world to make critical TD catches!"  That said, Sweed needs to hang the fuck onto the ball.  That's your job, dildo.  So I'll put this evenly on the backs of the guy who can't hang onto the ball, and the coaches who are putting him in a shitty situation.

See also, Mendenhall, Rashard.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jcharding
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #22 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 08:28 »

Would I would like them to do with Sweed is to throw some first down jump balls to him.  He will be forced to use his height and to fight for the ball in game situations.  Right now he is over-thinking when open and squeezing the ball.  Put him in situations where he not only can't think but has to be aggressive. 

I don't need no stinking avatar!
Manimal

« Reply #23 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 08:51 »

I've seen enough to say this.  How do we expect Sweed to ever develop consistency when he never gets any looks... until, that is, critical EZ receptions?  "OK, we're NEVER going to throw to you, but when we do, it will be with all the pressure in the world to make critical TD catches!"  That said, Sweed needs to hang the fuck onto the ball.  That's your job, dildo.  So I'll put this evenly on the backs of the guy who can't hang onto the ball, and the coaches who are putting him in a shitty situation.

Great point.

One carryover from Cowher appears to be that Tomlin shares Bill's habit of catering to veterans and being wary of playing newbies. This results in guys like Jason Gildon starting every down when he should be retired while a James Harrison gets no looks. And so forth.

There are advantages and disadvantages to this we shouldn't be naive of -- Cowher got millionaire players to sacrifice their bodies and throw themselves around, and that does not happen with every NFL team. Part of getting these guys to do that involves the implict promise that the coach will see that "you're taken care of" by the organization.

So on the whole, there are benefits in terms of Steeler football. But a bit of balance would be nice. (I realize this is a bit of a digression, as this is not really the problem with Sweed, though it may be with Mendenhall -- though with him, who knows?)
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 09:01 »

Great point.

One carryover from Cowher appears to be that Tomlin shares Bill's habit of catering to veterans and being wary of playing newbies. This results in guys like Jason Gildon starting every down when he should be retired while a James Harrison gets no looks. And so forth.

There are advantages and disadvantages to this we shouldn't be naive of -- Cowher got millionaire players to sacrifice their bodies and throw themselves around, and that does not happen with every NFL team. Part of getting these guys to do that involves the implict promise that the coach will see that "you're taken care of" by the organization.

So on the whole, there are benefits in terms of Steeler football. But a bit of balance would be nice. (I realize this is a bit of a digression, as this is not really the problem with Sweed, though it may be with Mendenhall -- though with him, who knows?)

I totally disagree...If it were a case of veteran over young guy, then Sweed would be getting the looks over Wallace. Wallace had a great game and is just outplaying Sweed (all season so far and in the preseason). My suggestion for all of the FFB Sweed owners is drop that POS and pick up Wallace. It is only a matter of time that Wallace is officially the number 3 (though he already looks to be unofficially the number 3).

Wallace had 7 for 102 this game, and IMO so far this year has maybe played better than any other number 3 in the league (if you count the preseason). I'm not just looking at his stats, but he just seems to be a player that you can count on when the game (or the drive) is on the line. More than I can say for Sweed (who can not be counted on at any point in the game so far) or even Holmes (the last two games anyway).

*Very disappointed today* Sad

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 09:18 »

Great point.

I totally disagree...If it were a case of veteran over young guy, then Sweed would be getting the looks over Wallace. Wallace had a great game and is just outplaying Sweed (all season so far and in the preseason). My suggestion for all of the FFB Sweed owners is drop that POS and pick up Wallace. It is only a matter of time that Wallace is officially the number 3 (though he already looks to be unofficially the number 3).

Wallace had 7 for 102 this game, and IMO so far this year has maybe played better than any other number 3 in the league (if you count the preseason). I'm not just looking at his stats, but he just seems to be a player that you can count on when the game (or the drive) is on the line. More than I can say for Sweed (who can not be counted on at any point in the game so far) or even Holmes (the last two games anyway).

*Very disappointed today* Sad

Not trying to disparage Wallace in any way, shape, or form.  He is THE biggest surprise of the last few years' drafts: we saw his breakaway speed on the long reception, but he's making every damned catch.  When he settles into a dig he looks like he's been in the league for a few years, seems unflappable and smart in his play.  Knows how to get down to catch the lowball. 

I have no problem with Wallace getting the looks over Sweed.  In fact, with Tone playing like he's carrying a boatload of THC in his bronchia, I have no issue with calling more plays to Wallace than Tone.  The ONLY receiver who gets a "pass," so to speak, after a bad week or few is Hines, because he's Mr. Automatic. 

My point with Sweed is that the base offensive set is now, primarily, the 3-wide.  It's actually a very successful formation for us, and I think we'd do well to rotate Sweed in for Holmes or Wallace, to spell those guys, and to get Sweed acclimated to making the non-highlight-reel drop/catch.  And of course, go 4-wide with Sweed in there alongside those guys.  Get him the ball when he has the mismatch, and just get him some action.  He starts catching 3-5 per game, I think he may start hanging onto those money shots.

In the meantime, Wallace is making a strong push for the SE spot, IMO.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #26 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 10:22 »

I agree, forget about Wallace-for-Sweed, we should be talking about Wallace-for-Holmes.

And what's up with Hines getting nailed for a penalty that cancels a big gainer?  That's at least once in each game so far - maybe even at least twice in each, not sure.  Get a clue Ward, they're WATCHING YOU.

Dayum.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jcharding

« Reply #27 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 10:26 »

I think prematurely blocking downfield is a point of emphasis this year.  I saw the same call in one of the early games yesterday.

I don't need no stinking avatar!
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 10:58 »

I think prematurely blocking downfield is a point of emphasis this year.  I saw the same call in one of the early games yesterday.

Yeah, I think they called it against a KC receiver.

Ward's smart enough to know this.

LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Sep 29, 2009 at 08:43 »

I've seen enough to say this.  How do we expect Sweed to ever develop consistency when he never gets any looks... until, that is, critical EZ receptions?  "OK, we're NEVER going to throw to you, but when we do, it will be with all the pressure in the world to make critical TD catches!"  That said, Sweed needs to hang the fuck onto the ball.  That's your job, dildo.  So I'll put this evenly on the backs of the guy who can't hang onto the ball, and the coaches who are putting him in a shitty situation.

My point with Sweed is that the base offensive set is now, primarily, the 3-wide.  It's actually a very successful formation for us, and I think we'd do well to rotate Sweed in for Holmes or Wallace, to spell those guys, and to get Sweed acclimated to making the non-highlight-reel drop/catch.  And of course, go 4-wide with Sweed in there alongside those guys.  Get him the ball when he has the mismatch, and just get him some action.  He starts catching 3-5 per game, I think he may start hanging onto those money shots.

Yeah, here's the rub. If Hines is nearing retirement, and either Holmes leaves via FA or turns out to not be the consistent replacement we all assumed, then we are going to need a solid replacement in ADDITION to Wallace. So, we almost need to continue to give Sweed the benefit of the doubt and hope to God he will develop. BA's offense clearly depends on having a minimum of 3 quality WR's. Also the other guys don't seem as physical as Ward, with the possible exception of Sweed, who has the body to throw a block and has actually proved willing to hit.

So, I don't think we can afford to just sit him and break his confidence completely. I figure we need to draft OL/DL/Safety next year, in some particular order, and will probably be looking for a kicker in or after round 4. We don't want to have to keep searching for a starter quality WR because we couldn't have been a little more patient with Sweed.

Still, the idiot needs to start catching the damn ball.
« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2009 at 08:51 by LambertsFrontTeeth » Logged

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: