Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 25, 2014 at 14:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sweed Hurt; Timmons reinjures ankle  (Read 4917 times)
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #60 on: Oct 01, 2009 at 14:46 »

All I'm saying is, we're ready to call the 2008 a bust -- local media, various fans on various boards -- on the basis of Sweed dropping ONE catch, however catchable, and Mendenhall on fewer carries in a career than he should be getting in a game.  

I really DON'T like how under-used these two guys are, or how they are being used situationally.  But I think it's fucking RIDICULOUS to be able to say with sweeping certitude that either is a washout on such limited data.  If the coaches gave us more looks of both and let them succeed or fail on that basis, then we could have a more informed opinion.  I think both guys have huge potential that is not being tapped, and that fans are writing off.  Sorry.  My opinion.

As for Mendy, I don't think he got a swollen head on the basis of his 3 carries in Chi-town.  If you recall, his first run, he botched the handoff and ran into Ben.  Granted, he powered forward for a couple of yards that FWP never would have, but it may be that he's having trouble with the mental aspect of the game.  From everything I've read about the kid, he's very grounded and not an ego tripper whatsoever.  

I'm getting sick of the Sweed and Mendy ragging.  Think I'll duck out of this for a few weeks and see if they get more looks before I keep sticking up for them and their theoretical potential production.  

Yeah, what he said!  And I STILL think we should give Willie Reid more opportunities to return.

:elbowjab:

Fair & funny; Reid was much less accomplished collegiately than these guys, though, and he was much more a roll of the dice.  

Actually, I'm making fun of myself as much as you. I was a fervent supporter of Reid until late in the experiment.

I still agree that we can't give up on Sweed. Strangely, I'm more worried that Mendenhall is the bust.

At least Sweed gets open -- so far he has shown the ability to separate, something I didn't see from Plex in his first 2 seasons. Now, if he could just hold the damn ball.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
jcharding
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #61 on: Oct 02, 2009 at 10:32 »

I would disagree that Mendenhall has shown more flashes than Sweed.  On the 2 TDs that Sweed has dropped he ran routes that showed more skill/talent than anything Mendenall has done (and I am not particularly down on Mendenhall).  Moreover, by all accounts Sweed has been doing fine in practice.  He has earned his way onto the field. 

Some guys are fine from day 1 as a rookie (Wallace).  Others take time.  Given the size/speed Sweed possesses, and routes that he has run, I do not doubt that he will once again catch the ball.  Moreover, I also strongly suspect that he and Wallace will be the Steeler starting WRs in 2 years due to age and contract considerations.  Some patience is required in this instance. This is a mental issue that will be erased by repetition and time.

I don't need no stinking avatar!
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #62 on: Oct 18, 2009 at 20:49 »

Try Sweed in the Secondary???....lol.... If he doesn't show more consistency by the end of the year, then what?  Draft another WR next year?  The guy has everything to be an excellent receiver, except the thing you need most: good hands.  I don't know if it's something that can be totally improved...ala Nate.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #63 on: Oct 19, 2009 at 07:31 »

On the 2 TDs that Sweed has dropped he ran routes that showed more skill/talent than anything Mendenall has done (and I am not particularly down on Mendenhall). 

Limas Sweed's career achievement was surpassed by Mendenhall in one half versus the Chargers.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: 1 ... 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: