Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 21, 2014 at 04:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NFL's "James Harrison Can't Be Held" Rule Still In Effect  (Read 792 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« on: Sep 11, 2009 at 08:41 »

So, were we counting the number of times Harrison was flat-out tackled in the arm-around-the-throat-from-behind-drug-to-the-ground-and-then-flopped-on style?  I noticed two, so there must have been multiples of that.

Funny though, Starks actually blocks a guy who subsequently slips and falls and gets called for holding.  A phantom call.

Geez.

I suppose these things equal out though.  Maybe Titans fans are thinking the same thing.  But I doubt it.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2009 at 09:04 »

So, were we counting the number of times Harrison was flat-out tackled in the arm-around-the-throat-from-behind-drug-to-the-ground-and-then-flopped-on style?  I noticed two, so there must have been multiples of that.

Funny though, Starks actually blocks a guy who subsequently slips and falls and gets called for holding.  A phantom call.

Geez.

I suppose these things equal out though.  Maybe Titans fans are thinking the same thing.  But I doubt it.

That call on Max was ridiculous.  Even Collinsworth said so.
And then very next defensive series, Silverback is trying to run through an arm around his throat.
Ridiculous...

I'm still the one with the boobs.
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2009 at 11:43 »

we were talking about this same subject last night....and all of last year.

He would seriously have 20+ sacks if people didn't hold his ass...

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
dare2beme

« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2009 at 23:01 »

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09221/989662-66.stm

On the one hand, there is this rule outlined in the article:

"It depends on whether the tackle slings his arm up there as a last-ditch effort to keep Harrison from getting to the quarterback (illegal), or if in the process of Harrison's rip move, he gets beneath the tackle and under the arm himself (legal)."

...which kinda contradicts the quote from Harrison:

"The ref told me if he has his arm around me on the front, and my feet are past his feet, then that's a hold," Harrison said. "We'll see if that works, if that's called."

The Saga Continues...

If you ain't a Steeler fan, you're just a Jag-off...especially here in Jacksonburgh, FL!
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2009 at 12:07 »

That article is basically saying that they've legalized holding vs. James Harrison because the tackles are too big, fat and slow to handle him.  Wonderful.  Now we have that, the Hines Ward rule and the Mel Blount rule.

But make sure we have rules to PROTECT the Apostle Tom Brady! 

I did get a chuckle when they made that bullcrap call vs. Wilfork Monday night--payback's a bitch, ain't it?

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
SteelAbility
N00b

« Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2009 at 16:55 »

It's almost as if calling it fair isn't really fair with Harrison.  His advantage is simply dominant.  I've seen some posts griping about Harrison/Woodley.   I'm actually very pleased with Harrison.  He has two FFs.  The second one in the Bears game resulted in a lucky bounce right to a Bear WR (or TE?) who was actually thinking out there.  I think it's really Woodley's play that has dropped off.  But I guess that's a discussion for a different thread.
SteelAbility
N00b

« Reply #6 on: Sep 25, 2009 at 11:11 »

There is an article on this ...

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1424/2009/september/25/steelers-stop-holding-harrison.html

IMO, Harrison needs to "fight back" by starting to flail and being a bit dramatic when he's held and draw attention to it.  It may not get the call on the current play but could help on subsequent plays.   cussing
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: