Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 29, 2014 at 15:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ryan Clark sound bytes (cue Duran Duran)  (Read 417 times)
Joetorious
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Oct 02, 2009 at 13:56 »

Just caught part of a Sirius NFL Radio interview with Ryan Clark. Defense, of course, was the focus of the call, which wasn't quite like any I've ever heard on SNFLR.

I'm paraphrasing some of what I heard:

You can't scheme 16 sacks. You can't scheme [insert however many sacks Woodley had] sacks. We're simply not making plays like we should.

Sure we miss Troy. Troy's the best safety in the NFL, but his absence isn't why we're not producing. Lebeau is scheming the exact same way he would if Troy were in the lineup.

As great as Troy is, he isn't the sole reason our D was so good last year. Due to the emergence of Timmons last season, Troy was able to truly play safety and had his highest number of INTs ever. He didn't have to be blitzing or faking blitz.

It's not Troy's fault that Farrior dropped an INT. If Farrior would have caught the ball, it wouldn't have been Troy in the LB position making the catch. It's not Troy's fault that I [Clark, not Joetorious, obviously] dropped an INT. And conversely, had I made the catch, it wouldn't have been Troy in my place making the catch.

Troy is superhuman. That said, he couldn't have been making last year's plays alone. Other guys on the team were going out and "making plays." We're not doing that this year and that has got to change.

When asked when Steelers fans could expect to see Troy in action again, he said:

Soon. But when he comes back, I want him to be Troy, not just some guy with long hair. I want him to be physically ready.

Please note that Clark gave Troy all the love/that's-my-boy props that he deserves, but basically acknowledged that the D's pedestrian performance to this point isn't because of Troy's absence and it's not because of Lebeau's schemes. Quite simply, the players aren't stepping up and making the plays that will make the D "what we thought we were going to be and what we know we are."

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2009 at 15:33 »

Clark calling out everyone, including himself.

Carter's play was much improved last week.  In week 2, I noticed there were several plays where he stopped and waited for th ball carrier.  Last week he took a more Troy approach and torpedo'ed ball carriers.

Last week did we see any delayed blitzes or guys crossing on the blitz?  Maybe D*** Lebeau is getting soft in his golden years.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2009 at 19:19 »

...or else he's gunshy about exposing a defensive backfield starting the likes of Tyrone Carter.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: