Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 30, 2014 at 16:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Poll
Question: What percentage of remaining games will this team win?
100% - 0 (0%)
92% - 0 (0%)
85% - 4 (21.1%)
77% - 4 (21.1%)
69% - 6 (31.6%)
62% - 4 (21.1%)
54% or less - 1 (5.3%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Win % going forward  (Read 1899 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 13:33 »

I think we're looking at 10-6.  I thought we'd be 2-1 with a loss to the Titans.  Never dreamed we'd make the Bears and Bengals look good...and that's exactly what we did.  The Bears may be a decent team, but I'm still not remotely impressed with Cincy.

We win:  Detroit, Cleveland (2), Oakland, KC, Cincy, Denver

We lose:  Minnesota, San Diego, Ravens (1)

Toss-up:  Green Bay, Miami, Ravens (1)

My guess is that we go 3-3 vs. those teams I have as losses and the teams I have as toss-ups.  There is no way we lose the second round to Cincy.

I agree, with the caveat that going 3-3 would put as at 11-5, rather than 10-6.  I think we drop one of the remaining "gimme" games, to get to 10-6, and be one the precipice of elimination.

In the preseason look at the sched, thought we'd win @ Chi and get caught napping @ Cinci.  Well, the two in combo are an absolute disaster.  After Chicago, we should have come out and stomped the Bengals guts out, rather than letting the same insipid shit happen again.  Cinci was getting some media yammer for an improved defense, and Cornhole Palmer being back, but I thought they looked like an enormous mountain of shit.  Worse, much worse, than I expected.  And that just makes the loss that much more unfathomable.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Joetorious
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #11 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 13:49 »

After Chicago, we should have come out and stomped the Bengals guts out, rather than letting the same insipid shit happen again.  Cinci was getting some media yammer for an improved defense, and Cornhole Palmer being back, but I thought they looked like an enormous mountain of shit.  Worse, much worse, than I expected.  And that just makes the loss that much more unfathomable.

Wholeheartedly agree. They - and the Bears - suck, yet we let them hang around they got the Ws.

Jonzr - I thought 2-1 was a worst-case scenario, with Tennessee being the likely loss in that scenario. Like you, I thought 3-0 was completely doable. Never in a million years did I think under the guidance of Mike Tomlin would a defending Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers team be as lacadaisical as the unmotivated, Bill Cowher-led '06 team. I thought with Tomlin, focus wouldn't be an issue...ever. But clearly many of the players - and shit, even some of the coaches...dare I say even the great Dick Lebeau? - seem to be way off their mental game.

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 13:59 »

After Chicago, we should have come out and stomped the Bengals guts out, rather than letting the same insipid shit happen again.  Cinci was getting some media yammer for an improved defense, and Cornhole Palmer being back, but I thought they looked like an enormous mountain of shit.  Worse, much worse, than I expected.  And that just makes the loss that much more unfathomable.

Wholeheartedly agree. They - and the Bears - suck, yet we let them hang around they got the Ws.

Jonzr - I thought 2-1 was a worst-case scenario, with Tennessee being the likely loss in that scenario. Like you, I thought 3-0 was completely doable. Never in a million years did I think under the guidance of Mike Tomlin would a defending Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers team be as lacadaisical as the unmotivated, Bill Cowher-led '06 team. I thought with Tomlin, focus wouldn't be an issue...ever. But clearly many of the players - and shit, even some of the coaches...dare I say even the great Dick Lebeau? - seem to be way off their mental game.

All the coaches bear the brunt here.  We've had 4Q collapse issues going back to XLIII, which never should have been that close, really.  Arians, WTF else can I say that hasn't been said.  Tomlin, maybe too much a macro manager and unwilling to stir shit up with his coordinators?  The hands-off approach isn't working.

That said, I think Chicago is a better team than you give them credit for.  Their D is at least pretty competent, evem without Urlacher, and the big issue on offense is WR talent and getting in synch with Cutler.  They've been a playoff team or broderline playoff team most years, and thus no worse than middle of the pack or better; I'm inclined to think they're in the 10-15 range.  And we owned them.  Didn't take advantage in any way, but whatever.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 16:09 »

That's the frustrating thing.  You can point to several "reasons" for both of these games, but it's pretty much a case of everyone looking around and saying, "Wait a minute...what the hell just happened?"

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Joetorious

« Reply #14 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 16:54 »

That's the frustrating thing.  You can point to several "reasons" for both of these games, but it's pretty much a case of everyone looking around and saying, "Wait a minute...what the hell just happened?"

Exactly. I can't pinpoint one reason or another for yesterday's debacle. All of a sudden, it just turned out to be an L.

Was the OL great? No, but it was good and not the cause for the loss.

Was the D terrible? Absolutely not. In fact, they played pretty well - just not "great."

Were the O skills positions the cause? Maybe. The running game looked asi asi, but nothing to write home about.
Our WRs (barring Wallace) can't catch a cold.

Was the STs to blame? Not really, but I had a premonition (sp?) right before the fake punt that that was going to happen. Hell, it almost seemed as though the cameraman knew it was coming and had the lens slightly pointed at the ball carrier prior to the snap.

That covers the players, which really doesn't give us much to go on. That leaves coaching, which, as Finny has so eloquently pointed out, deserves the brunt of the blame. Tomlin seems to be on a mission use more coach-speak cliches than any other coach in history and won't do anything from a personnel standpoint to address shortcomings. Arians is a waste, but besides Roethlisberger (or potentially Batch), who would call the plays if the Steelers did the unthinkable and got rid of a coach midseason?

I'm frustrated as a mofo because, as you mentioned, PM, there is no isolated thing to which to point to say "Ah, there it is. If we can just correct that, we'll be rolling." This is a very non-cohesive team on the field at this point. Let's hope they gel (eat your coach-speakin' heart out, Tomlin).

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 17:01 »

I was SCREAMING at the TV to watch for a fake punt, but on the punt prior to the fake punt punt.  That means me and Marvin are on the same wave length, which ain't sayin a whole lot for him!!!!! sign5

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 23:53 »

Guess im the odd man out.  i'm going with 54% or less, just for the reason that every game they play will be close regardless of the team.  thats a 50/50 chance if you ask me.

Like it or not, this teams makeup is pass oriented.  The more the run is "established", the less points will be on the score board IMO and the greater chance of teams hangin around till the end.  maybe next time the coaching staff will go for the kill instead of trying to get willie his 100 yards

In all seriousness, Ben should be heaving it 50 times a game from the gun and 4 wide for the majority.

those assbags in cincy are dancing around their locker room like the worm has finally turned.  just a shame they have no idea how much they actually suck. 

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Sep 29, 2009 at 06:39 »

those assbags in cincy are dancing around their locker room like the worm has finally turned.  just a shame they have no idea how much they actually suck.

During the game, I couldn't believe how bad Palmer looked. He wasn't even getting the ball close to his receivers. And then we let them hang around so he can pull out the win.

Unless it's less than a yard and Ben can sneak it, then it's a passing down.

And with out kicker going all VanderJeff lately, no FG attempts unless it's under 40 yards.

Manimal

« Reply #18 on: Sep 29, 2009 at 08:24 »

yeah, one of the more surprising things to me is how bad the Bengals looked. I was among those who thought they could be a playoff contender, on the premise that Palmer was back and the defense was improved.

But Palmer is not the player he was in '04 - '06, and I can't figure out why. Have his injuries taken that much of a toll on him? He's basically late Drew Bledsoe now. Not a scary player at all, I think.

Their defense is not impressive, although they seem to have some decent cover guys out there. Neither the allegedly improved run defense or pass rush was in evidence on Sunday, and that against one of the worst O-Lines in Steeler history.

We should have beaten this team by 21. And yes, we have to think of our offense as a pass-oriented unit. We have to come out in shotgun and run the no-huddle until and unless the game is in hand, IMO.
Joetorious

« Reply #19 on: Sep 29, 2009 at 10:03 »

@jacksplat and @manimal -

As much as I enjoyed watching the Dolphins' commanding performance a couple of Mondays ago and as much as I like to recall the Steelers being able to put together similar performances in a more traditional, smashmouth style of football (than the Wildcat), I'm with you - we must pass early and often and never stop. If we can do that AND take time off the clock, even better.

Roethlisberger is at a point in his career that I fully trust he will make smart decisions when throwing the ball and even when asked to do so frequently. Sure he'll throw INTs, but I don't think he will do so regularly. In fact, the only part of his game that I question is his unwillingness to simply throw the ball away instead of taking a sack when a sack is one of only two potential results on a play and the other being an incomplete pass (read: I know he makes a lot of big plays scrambling, but sometimes it must be apparent back there that a big play is not in the cards on that particular down and an incomplete pass is better than a sack).

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: