Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 16, 2014 at 06:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will we ever see the No Huddle offense again?  (Read 807 times)
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« on: Sep 29, 2009 at 22:23 »

I find it unfathomable that with the struggles (i.e. playcalling) this offense has had through the first 3 games that we have only seen the No Huddle used, as far as I can recall, just once all season.  It just so happened that the drive in question was one of the most successful drives of the young season (second half against TEN) and yet it hasn't been used since. 

Wasn't the No Huddle offense the talk of training camp last year?  And how many times did we see it, eight to ten times all year long?  It was incredibly effective when utilized last year and it worked well again in the TEN game, so where the fuck is it?  Is Tomlin actually allowing Arians to control the offensive gameplan and the shithead's ego can't take it if he isn't calling all the shots?  Seriously?  I really cannot see a reasonable explanation for the lack of this offense all season, especially with all the short, ineffective drives we've seen from absolutely kill this team late in games. 

I just don't get it.  :huh:

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2009 at 08:13 »

Seems like Arians scripts some good drives out of the box, then fizzles.  I say, let Ben take the 2Q calls, and the 4Q calls. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 2009 at 08:39 »

Seems like Arians scripts some good drives out of the box, then fizzles.  I say, let Ben take the 2Q calls, and the 4Q calls. 

Yeah, the script usually works for the first drive.  I say let Ben have it after that.  Clearly, the offense is getting out schemed in the second half and the defense is either suffering the same fate in the 4th Q or they're simply tiring out. Since I doubt that LeBeau suddenly got stupid, I have to wonder if the D didn't just get old all of a sudden, it can happen.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Sep 30, 2009 at 10:05 »

Defensively, I just don't think we can overstate the damage of losing Troy.  I would still argue that they have not played bad through the first two games, but you need to come up big at the right time.

Offensively, well...it really is mind-boggling.  How long have we had to look at this?  Back to the Jax playoff game in 2007, we came out firing on the first drive, got shut down, then finally got it going again AFTER we let Ben into the driver's seat.  Then Arians takes over for the final drive, and you remember the rest of the story.

Ben may actually need to say, in the course of the game, "To hell with you!" and just start running it. 

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Sep 30, 2009 at 13:58 »

Defensively, I just don't think we can overstate the damage of losing Troy.  I would still argue that they have not played bad through the first two games, but you need to come up big at the right time. 

Yeah, I'm concerned about this..not just now, but down the road. We didn't lock up Ryan Clark to a long term deal, and Troy plays so recklessly that he is frequently dinged up.  We really need to get some depth at safety. If I have to see T-bone Carter giving up scores all season, I'll puke.

Is is too soon to talk about the 2010 draft?

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
SteelAbility
N00b

« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2009 at 07:58 »

I don't know why the no-huddle isn't used more by all teams.  It's a well-known fact that defense is more tiring than offense.  So, the O is tired, but so is the D and way more so.  The D has a bigger problem with fatigue.  Besides the QB doesn't tend to get tired anyway, so no-huddle emphasizes the QBs freshness relative to the D.  And how about those plays where four or five
defenders are chasing a RB 30 yards down the field?  Who is exerting more effort as a collective group?  IMO, those plays need to be followed up immediately with hurry-up offense.
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2009 at 10:30 »

I don't know why the no-huddle isn't used more by all teams.  It's a well-known fact that defense is more tiring than offense.  So, the O is tired, but so is the D and way more so.  The D has a bigger problem with fatigue.  Besides the QB doesn't tend to get tired anyway, so no-huddle emphasizes the QBs freshness relative to the D.  And how about those plays where four or five
defenders are chasing a RB 30 yards down the field?  Who is exerting more effort as a collective group?  IMO, those plays need to be followed up immediately with hurry-up offense.

IMO the biggest advantage of the no huddle is that you (as the offense) can take as much time as you need to run a play (up to the whole play clock), and you can even substitute as long as you report into the hash mark, but can snap it at any time if the defense tries to substitute at all. As the offense, you have control over the game and the timing. Worst comes to worst, you snap it and get offsetting penalties for too many men on the field. Then line up and do it all over again. No huddle is not the same as hurry up. Indy runs the no huddle to perfection and we should watch their games while taking notes.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Oct 01, 2009 at 10:55 »

IMO the biggest advantage of the no huddle is that you (as the offense) can take as much time as you need to run a play (up to the whole play clock), and you can even substitute as long as you report into the hash mark, but can snap it at any time if the defense tries to substitute at all. As the offense, you have control over the game and the timing. Worst comes to worst, you snap it and get offsetting penalties for too many men on the field. Then line up and do it all over again. No huddle is not the same as hurry up. Indy runs the no huddle to perfection and we should watch their games while taking notes.

I think they changed that rule a bit during the Bengals' Sam Wyche era. I believe that if the offense substitutes, it must allow the defense a reasonable opportunity to do so as well. 

Still, I'm all for the use of the no-huddle to tire out opponents. Particularly when one considers how loooong opposing d-lineman have to spend chasing Ben down on any given pass play.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Oct 01, 2009 at 11:32 »

I think they changed that rule a bit during the Bengals' Sam Wyche era. I believe that if the offense substitutes, it must allow the defense a reasonable opportunity to do so as well. 

Still, I'm all for the use of the no-huddle to tire out opponents. Particularly when one considers how loooong opposing d-lineman have to spend chasing Ben down on any given pass play.

Yeah...looks like you're right...my bad...still I'm sure the defense would change personnel more than the offense would.

Here's how the rule reads, but seems a bit vague to me...you're trying to judge intent, and that seems difficult.

5. With the exception of the last two minutes of either half, the offensive team, while in the process of substitution or simulated substitution, is prohibited from rushing quickly to the line and snapping the ball with the obvious attempt to cause a defensive foul; i.e., too many men on the field.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: