Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 20, 2014 at 00:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CIN @ BAL  (Read 658 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« on: Oct 11, 2009 at 14:12 »

The Bengals take the lead on a rushing TD that gave Benson 108 yards in the 3rd quarter.  Awww, did their no-100-yard-rusher streak end?

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2009 at 16:00 »

Wow, the AFC North leading Bengals.  Sounds foreign.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2009 at 17:45 »

Wow, the AFC North leading Bengals.  Sounds foreign.

Won't last.  1) The Bengals still suck, wins over us and Ravens notwithstanding.  2) This shit will all go to their heads.  3) The Bengals really, really suck.  4) I mean, they suck bloody stool chunks.

How exactly did the Ratties blow this one?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2009 at 17:52 »

From the replays it looks like they drove down the field and scored a TD with less than a minute to play.  How could Ray-Ray allow that?

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2009 at 17:53 »

How exactly did the Ratties blow this one?

Same question we were asking ourselves.  They shot themselves in the foot with dumb penalties on the last TD drive.  Plus their O went back to their traditional suckitude.

Don't look now, but Cincy's 3-0 in the division.
Puma170
Bleedin' Black and Gold behind enemy lines

« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2009 at 08:24 »

This is the most disappointing part about living in Baltimore.  For the last three weeks it has been "the Steelers are 2 (or 1) game back of our Ravens."  Now, it is they are tied because the league hates the Ravens.  If (and more hopefully when) the Steelers beat them head to head it will be another range of excuses.   

I have been looking for Ray Ray to come out and at least apologize for continuing that drive with an awful penalty.  Not a word which is why he isn't a leader despite the entire league (including Ochostinko) saying that he is. 

If this were a Steeler player he would be apologizing all over himself or he would be benched.  Harbaugh doesn't demand this from his players and this is the result you get.  That attitude travels down in to (some) of the fan base and, generally speaking, makes football season a difficult time for my entire family. 

PUMA
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2009 at 09:27 »

The sad truth is that the Steelers' D has declined from an unquestionable #1 last year to a... middle of the pack D this year.  We see flashes of the old D, but if we play 4 quarters of Steeler defense -- with some fucking takeaways for a change -- it'll be the first time this year.  Sequel to that, the Ravens D was the likely #2, if only just ahead of say the Vikings, but still a premier defense.  No one's admitting that they, too, have slipped.  Can't stop the pass, allowed that 100-yard runner, etc.

Looks like the top of the AFCN just isn't as fearsome as it has been the past few.  Age may be the culprit, or for Baltimore, bad cogs in the secondary.  Upside for both is that they may still be able to get it together.  Much as I hate Baltimore, I respect their defense more than Cinci's, all the media fawning over their resurgence being so much fluff.  The league is just better when the Steelers' and Ravens' defenses kill the media darling offenses. 

End of the season, it's gonna be Steelers and Ravens.  Bengals will be a "what happened?" story.  Fine.  Let the chumps celebrate now.  Question is, how much do both teams bounce back?  We're past the quarter pole, so hard to say.

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2009 at 09:57 »

Two teams won their Super Bowl last week: the Bengals and the Broncos.  Expect the midseason superbowl hangovers to commence sooner rather than later.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Oct 13, 2009 at 12:09 »

The sad truth is that the Steelers' D has declined from an unquestionable #1 last year to a... middle of the pack D this year.  We see flashes of the old D, but if we play 4 quarters of Steeler defense -- with some fucking takeaways for a change -- it'll be the first time this year.  Sequel to that, the Ravens D was the likely #2, if only just ahead of say the Vikings, but still a premier defense.  No one's admitting that they, too, have slipped.  Can't stop the pass, allowed that 100-yard runner, etc.

I dunno, Findude.  I don't think you're givin' that group enough credit.  IMO, as inconsistent as the defense has been, they're far from a middle of the road squad.  While they might not have shown it lately, they're still elite (i.e. top 5, easy) and that's where I fully expect them to be come the end of this season.

It's hard to be lights out every week, every game.  Look at Minnesota who was outgained (I believe) by the Boller led Rams; the Jets last night who got torched by Chad "Yeah, I went to the same college as Tom Brady" Henne; the revamped Saints defense that gave up almost 30 to the Lions back in Week 1.  Even the Ravens, who also rolled over for the Bengals on a final drive, are still a top group that most teams don't look forward to facing.

I really attribute these minor hiccups to mental issues.  I think there's a little bit of a hangover there.  You can see it almost every week.  They're not as sharp for 60 full as they should be.  Too much is being taken for granted.  "Eh, we're up by three scores...time to coast."  "No way they come back against this defense two possessions down with less than 5 to play."  We've seen it almost every game. 

It's the opposite of last year where most of their wins were nail biters, with #7 pulling it out in the end.  It really requires a different mentality to win those types of games.  Couple that with facing some of the bottom feeders and it's a recipe for disaster.

I guess what I'm tryin' to drive at here is what I've said a couple times already this year.  They've played some very average ball and they're a couple FGs here or a couple dropped passes there away from being 4-1 or even 5-0.  Then, you've got teams out there like Denver or Cincy who have guys/groups playing on stratospheric levels (Orton, the Bengals defense, respectively) and they've also had a lot go their way.  They're not much better off than Pittsburgh ATM, but I expect Pittsburgh to improve as the season wears on, while those squads will most definitely come back to earth.

Gotta try to keep an even keel here, even with almost a third of the season in the books.  Can't get too high with the highs or low with the lows.  Jets fans were talkin' NY/NY Super Bowl two weeks ago and now they're sure the playoffs are no longer within reach with many needing to be coaxed off the ledge. With the start Baltimore had, I'm sure their fanbase is havin' similar thoughts too.

At the end of the day, I still like this team's chances, even at 3-2.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2009 at 13:15 »

I like our chances, and I think the guys are getting chippy about coughing up late leads.  But saying you can't bring it every week is a far cry from three consecutive 4Q meltdowns, and a late slump vs. the horrid Lions.  (I plead some degree of ignorance, as I only saw parts of the Lions game, at the very end mostly.)

While I realize the season is long and the defense will likely get it back, I'm just saying where we are through 5 weeks, and it's not pretty.  More than I'd like to admit, I think Polamalu's absence has been crucial in this, but it's a mix of things: lackluster pass rush, play calling that doesn't kill with the pass rush late (well, Lions excepted), some age spots, etc.  With Pola back, it all gets easier.  The real lesson here, IMHO, is we see where this team needs to bolster itself via the draft: S, both spots, DL, and ILB. 

We've gone from giving up 13.9 ppg to 19.6 ppg... about a TD swing per game... and this against not exactly offensive powerhouses. 

I think we'll peak later in the season defensively, so I'm nowhere near shitting myself at this stage.  More like a curious detachment. Huh.  Isn't that odd.  We just lost to the fucking Bengals after utterly dominating them.  Or, Huh.  Isn't that odd.  We almost allowed the fucking Lions to creep back into this game and embarass the shit out of us.

I happen to like our chances a lot, but if the defense doesn't get its shit together and string together 60-minute games, we will be toast.  Still, a lot to like here.  The offense seems to be really showing some great flashes, and it's nowhere near as cohesive as it could be.  So imagine if/when it's really clicking.  Special teams, I still think Logan's going to be a real force for us, but he hasn't had that big return just yet. 

If we're still chewing all these same points around week 13, I'll worry then.

But to your point about lucky bounces, remember that the 4-1 Bengals are soooooooo close to having started 0-fer.  Seriously.  Lucky fucking cunts.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: