Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 23, 2014 at 11:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aaron Smith OUT - shoulder injury  (Read 3169 times)
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Oct 13, 2009 at 20:42 »

SING RICHURD SIZEMORE!!1 

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Oct 14, 2009 at 08:37 »

Looks like Smith to IR, and Sonny Harris re-joins as one of the 53, per Wexell.

Well, Sonny couldn't cut the mustard in Pitt or Caro, so this looks like depth only.  Would have considered a FA vet like Spicer or Roye, but maybe an eye to the future as well.

Seems most likely that Hood will get the majority of reps, with Eason/Kircschke rotating some to make sure the new kid's legs stay fresh.  Will likely be the most active R1 rook since Ben. 

My concern with Hood is versus good running OLs and RBs, to wit: Baltimore, Minnesota, and Denver.  Some possible upside to this is that we may see Hood with some plus speed/pass rush moves, but then again it's hard to extrap from preseason.

Overall, I'm pretty pissed, but at least we took a R1 guy this year, which seems awfully smart in retro.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #22 on: Oct 14, 2009 at 08:50 »

Kind of makes you wonder if this is the end of his career. If it is it's a shitty day to be a Steelers fan. Was there ever anyone who was better at what he did that got less credit for it (outside of the hardcore fanbase/Pittsburghers)?
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Oct 14, 2009 at 09:05 »

I was thinking Spicer was still out there as well.  He was more of a pass rush guy, but he certainly wouldn't hurt.

Why do I feel like our season is over already?  sad1

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Puma170
Bleedin' Black and Gold behind enemy lines

« Reply #24 on: Oct 14, 2009 at 09:25 »

Yeah, this is really bad news and it is a good way to divide the Steelers fans that get it from the ones that don't by gauging how upset they are about this news.  I am trusting the personnel department on this one since they thought enough of Hood to go that direction.  Troy coming back off sets this a little and maybe we get a little better overall but not back to last year by any stretch.  Her is hoping Hood is ready to step it up...

PUMA
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Oct 14, 2009 at 09:44 »

Kind of makes you wonder if this is the end of his career. If it is it's a shitty day to be a Steelers fan. Was there ever anyone who was better at what he did that got less credit for it (outside of the hardcore fanbase/Pittsburghers)?

Dirt Dawson?  Not better, necessarily, but as good at his spot, and not much on the radar aside from Stillers fans.

Anyway, hard to know what to think with Aaron.  Definitely a lunchpail guy, tough as nails, all that.  Contract through 2011, so you'd like to think he'd come back and at least play out his final two seasons.  OTOH... He is 33, and coming back at 34 after two arm/shoulder injuries, and a protracted illness with his young son, who can say if his heart is in it?  

Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #26 on: Oct 14, 2009 at 09:51 »

One consequence of this is that Ben is going to throw for 4500 yards now that our defense is going to be giving up a lot more points than they did last year.

Which means he'll be noticed more as an elite QB, make the Pro Bowl, etc. Even though it'll be because he's playing on a team with a struggling D. Funny how things work.
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Oct 14, 2009 at 10:08 »

Rumors are that the Chiefs are shopping Glenn Dorsey.  I haven't really followed his career since he was drafted, but it seems like the Chiefs can't figure out where to play him in the 3-4.  Not sure what it would take to get him, but in a perfect world, Colbert and Co. would at least give this some thought.  He'd definitely help against the run this year and could be a possible replacement for Hampton next year as the NT.

I know trades in the NFL almost never happen, and with the way the Steelers go about their business it seems even less likely.  I'm sure they'd prefer scouring the waiver wire and bringing a veteran in on the cheap, and I wouldn't necessarily fault them for it.

Wonder if something like Sweed and a 4th rounder could get it done?  I've been one of the few guys unwilling to give up on Sweed, but the trade would make some sense as long as Dorsey can play NT in a 3-4.  And if he can't, next year switch to a 4-3 with Dorsey and Hood up the middle, Keisel/Harrison and Woodley on the outside. 

It's sad that I'm already playing this wish list game, something I normally only divulge in during the offseason.  This Smith thing really bums me out.

steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Oct 14, 2009 at 10:30 »

This is super bad news. Not good. Not good at all. Run defense is going to be hurting. This pretty much sucks.

KTBFFH
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Oct 14, 2009 at 11:13 »

@Boot: hasn't Dorsey been plagued with injuries and laziness?  Seems like his label is Major Fatass down there.  Change of scenery might help, but OTOH I did read somewhere a rundown of highly drafted LSU loafers.  Bowe's had the most success, and his work ethic isn't reported to be all that great.  Red flag, IMO.

Quote from: SFiCO
This is super bad news. Not good. Not good at all. Run defense is going to be hurting. This pretty much sucks.

True to all that. Still hard to imahine how the defense can do worse than it has to date.  21st in FO's rankings.  What, we're going to be worse than the fucking Browns now?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: