Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 26, 2014 at 08:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blast from the past dude!  (Read 1247 times)
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« on: Oct 18, 2009 at 21:00 »

I had a flashback to 2006:

Win the Kickoff classing barely (Mia, Ten)..
Lose a tough one on the road (Jax, Chi)
Lose a game we had wrapped up to Cincy
(The difference this time is we beat San Diego) Smiley

Same problems....many, many turnovers....dumb penalties...D having trouble coming up with key stops....Special Teams inconsistency...

2006 team was one of the most talent Steelers teams I have seen not to make the playoffs.  I think this year, we have a much more potent offense (healthy Ben) that can help cover up alot of the mistakes.  I don't think it's necissarily the lack of focus this year.  Perhaps there's something to be said for the other team giving it their all against the champs.
It feels like we have to score 35 points every game to be safe.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2009 at 22:18 »

Okay, off the subject, since I'm watching the Falcons/Bears:

I just want to smack that dumb dopey-moon look off Jay Cutlers' face.  He looks just like this guy from my freshman year in college who spent most of his time hittin' the chronic--has Cutler been in for testing this year?

But we move on...

I have been disappointed with the lack of focus, precision, the lackluster approach to the game.  Yes, I think part of that is SB Hangover.  The difference is that we haven't dug a huge hole for ourselves.  If you recall, we were 2-6 before we finally got our act together to finish up 6-2.  If we finish the first half of the season at least 5-3, we can hopefully put it all together in the second half.

Keep in mind that Ben is playing lights-out this year, and fortunately doesn't have half of his brain and his face and his appendix laying on the streets of Pittsburgh or the operating table or the turf in Atlanta.  If the defense gets its act together, we'll have a chance.

The game this week is a good chance to regain some focus and motivation.  The Vikings are awfully good, but we Heinz Field should be rocking and this team should relish the chance to prove they are still the World Champions.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2009 at 09:46 »

Okay, off the subject, since I'm watching the Falcons/Bears:

I just want to smack that dumb dopey-moon look off Jay Cutlers' face.  He looks just like this guy from my freshman year in college who spent most of his time hittin' the chronic--has Cutler been in for testing this year?

That, and doesn't Lovie Smith have a permanent, "where the hell did we park the car?" look on his face?  C'mon, dude...say something, do something, show some emotion, ffs.

Frickin' red zone turnovers killed me in that game last night.  2 turnovers and turnover on downs at the end of the game.  Chicago shoulda taken that game.  Bitch!   Angry

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2009 at 10:42 »

That, and doesn't Lovie Smith have a permanent, "where the hell did we park the car?" look on his face?  C'mon, dude...say something, do something, show some emotion, ffs.

Frickin' red zone turnovers killed me in that game last night.  2 turnovers and turnover on downs at the end of the game.  Chicago shoulda taken that game.  Bitch!

Lovie often looks Romeo Crennel-esque:  Lost in space, but more friendly and pleasant.  RC just has the appearance of really needing to find a bathroom, soon.

That Hines Ward overturn in the EZ yesterday may have cost me 2nd place in MGS FFL 2.  Friggin' refs!

msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2009 at 11:47 »

Totally with you on this one Preach.  Dude looks like he is completely going through the motions.  No leadership qualities there at all.

And I still don't get all the "Cutler is second coming" crap.  Dude has choked away at least two potential playoff runs.  He gagged up three opportunities inside the 10 yesterday.  Yet he gets 10X the props that Ben got until he won his SECOND ring.

Never ceases to amaze me that so many guys who are paid to watch and comment on these things have no idea what they're looking at.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2009 at 11:50 »

To further emphasize the point, 2 Live Stews on 1st and 10 today with Bayless.  2 of 3 (Bayless and one Stew), would pick Cutler over Matt Ryan, based on the fact that Cutler had more yards yesterday, while TDs and INTs were even.  I guess minor details like who actually won the game while the other's team stagnated every time they had a chance to tie it up are irrelevant.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2009 at 12:22 »

Cutlers actions and demeanor show a dude who thinks the NFL revolves around him, and he is OK with that.  Definitely does not come across as a team guy in any context.  It also seems like he couldn't care less what happens out there.  Maybe he drinks a lot of cough syrup.

A guy that used to work in the office, young guy - mid 20's, ran into Cutler at a bar type of place one night.  Cutler was hanging out with a couple of people work dude knew, so work dude was hanging with Cutler for a while.  He said Cutler was buying all the drinks, but just sat there and didn't really talk to anyone.  What a dud.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Joetorious
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2009 at 14:24 »

I think Cutler seems like a grade-A douchebag. I also think he stole a page out of the Cuban Little League'er playbook by lying about his age by at least 5 years. The dude looks considerably older than he claims to be.

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Oct 19, 2009 at 15:29 »

To further emphasize the point, 2 Live Stews on 1st and 10 today with Bayless.  2 of 3 (Bayless and one Stew), would pick Cutler over Matt Ryan, based on the fact that Cutler had more yards yesterday, while TDs and INTs were even.  I guess minor details like who actually won the game while the other's team stagnated every time they had a chance to tie it up are irrelevant.

Dude, we need to get you a job!  If you're watching 2 Live Screws and Strip Ball-less, you got tooooo much time on your hands!    Wink

Seriously, Bayless seems a little more humbled and sensible since espn basically dropped his column.  But he's still a douche.

msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Oct 19, 2009 at 19:34 »

Dude, we need to get you a job!  If you're watching 2 Live Screws and Strip Ball-less, you got tooooo much time on your hands!

Fall break.  Though, it was still a huge waste of time.
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2009 at 19:29 »

Same problems creeped up again today.  If not for some great "D", and a couple "Farvesque" moments, we would have pissed this one away as well.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2009 at 21:00 »

Not that I'm trying to blow sunshine up anyone's arse here, cause we have some real issues.  But let me ask you:

-We're worried about the "same problems," but we're still 5-2 heading into the bye week.

-Did we look "pretty" in any of our wins last year?

-We've heard griping about the defense not getting big plays, sacks, turnovers.  I think they turned that around today.

-We didn't look well-prepared on O at all (see BA/BS report for tomorrow).  But our defense had shades of 2008 today.

We need some serious work in the off week but I am thrilled just to get the win.

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2009 at 21:06 »

Not that I'm trying to blow sunshine up anyone's arse here, cause we have some real issues.  But let me ask you:

-We're worried about the "same problems," but we're still 5-2 heading into the bye week.

-Did we look "pretty" in any of our wins last year?

-We've heard griping about the defense not getting big plays, sacks, turnovers.  I think they turned that around today.

-We didn't look well-prepared on O at all (see BA/BS report for tomorrow).  But our defense had shades of 2008 today.

We need some serious work in the off week but I am thrilled just to get the win.

Yep.  Agree on all fronts.

I didn't think the O play calling was terrible.  The OL protected well enough but had a tough time with the DL knocking passes down.  It really threw the passing game off and we weren't able to take advantage of a missing Winfield as we could have.  That said, Wallace and Holmes both benefited from a sub-par secondary.

Your point about ugly games...other than early in the SD game, last year's playoffs weren't masterpieces for us; SB included. So to that extent, nothing new for this group.  Doesn't make it any easier to watch but it's SOP.

I think I've used enough commas for now.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2009 at 23:14 »

I still cannot wrap my brain around today's offensive "gameplan".  That was amateurish even by Arians' infinitely low standards.  Did they even throw it at Winfield's myriad replacements once?  The Ravens threw at Paymah and Co. all 2nd half last week with Winfield out and somehow, we couldn't even manage one throw his way?

Just when it seemed like Arians was starting to turn things around (relatively speaking, of course).

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Joetorious
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #14 on: Oct 26, 2009 at 09:03 »

I still cannot wrap my brain around today's offensive "gameplan".  That was amateurish even by Arians' infinitely low standards.   Did they even throw it at Winfield's myriad replacements once?  The Ravens threw at Paymah and Co. all 2nd half last week with Winfield out and somehow, we couldn't even manage one throw his way?

Just when it seemed like Arians was starting to turn things around (relatively speaking, of course).

My sentiments, exactly.

As a secondary note, with Wallace, Roethlisberger and Miller starting on my fantasy squad, I was lucky that I was playing the last-place team this week. Barring a disproportionate amount of TOs to catches, yards and TDs by Desean Jackson tonight, I have myself yet another win, solidifying my rank atop the leaderboard.

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Oct 26, 2009 at 11:59 »

Same problems creeped up again today.  If not for some great "D", and a couple "Farvesque" moments, we would have pissed this one away as well.

C'mon, guys. 

When they were relyin on the O, people were complainin' that the D needs to step up.  So, the offense had a very pedestrian day (by revamped Steelers offense standards) yesterday, the D steps up when it counts and...people are still complainin'?  They held the best RB in the league to 60 somethin' yards and knocked off one of the four remaining undefeateds in the league.  Did anyone really expect a blowout?

It would be nice, but they can't all be 30-3 snoozers with the O and D consistently putting up peak performances.  This team does what it needs to do to win and is tied (at least in the loss column) for the division lead.

They've got two weeks to enjoy it and then watch them beat the snot out of another undefeated team.  You can change the uniform, but in the end, that squad is still led by Kyle "Jeff Reed's got nuttin' on ME!" Orton.*

*The preceding message was brought to you by Jack Daniels.  The drink that makes it easy to get it in her stink.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Oct 26, 2009 at 18:05 »

Thanks AJ.  Well put!
 clap eck02

I'm still the one with the boobs.
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Oct 26, 2009 at 21:32 »

C'mon, guys. 

When they were relyin on the O, people were complainin' that the D needs to step up.  So, the offense had a very pedestrian day (by revamped Steelers offense standards) yesterday, the D steps up when it counts and...people are still complainin'?  They held the best RB in the league to 60 somethin' yards and knocked off one of the four remaining undefeateds in the league.  Did anyone really expect a blowout?

It would be nice, but they can't all be 30-3 snoozers with the O and D consistently putting up peak performances.  This team does what it needs to do to win and is tied (at least in the loss column) for the division lead.

They've got two weeks to enjoy it and then watch them beat the snot out of another undefeated team.  You can change the uniform, but in the end, that squad is still led by Kyle "Jeff Reed's got nuttin' on ME!" Orton.*

*The preceding message was brought to you by Jack Daniels.  The drink that makes it easy to get it in her stink.

I'm not even upset by the performance, just the actual gameplan.  The offense never even attempted to pick on those replacement corners, and Mendenhall had running lanes we haven't seen all season.  Yet play after play all we saw were screens and dump offs, half of which were knocked down at the line.  If Arians would have called a decent game, the D doesn't have to score those TDs in the 4th quarter.

It's just disappointing to me, because it honestly seemed liked Arians was starting to turn a corner and was starting to move in the right direction.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: