Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 24, 2014 at 12:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blast from the past dude!  (Read 1352 times)
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2009 at 19:29 »

Same problems creeped up again today.  If not for some great "D", and a couple "Farvesque" moments, we would have pissed this one away as well.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2009 at 21:00 »

Not that I'm trying to blow sunshine up anyone's arse here, cause we have some real issues.  But let me ask you:

-We're worried about the "same problems," but we're still 5-2 heading into the bye week.

-Did we look "pretty" in any of our wins last year?

-We've heard griping about the defense not getting big plays, sacks, turnovers.  I think they turned that around today.

-We didn't look well-prepared on O at all (see BA/BS report for tomorrow).  But our defense had shades of 2008 today.

We need some serious work in the off week but I am thrilled just to get the win.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2009 at 21:06 »

Not that I'm trying to blow sunshine up anyone's arse here, cause we have some real issues.  But let me ask you:

-We're worried about the "same problems," but we're still 5-2 heading into the bye week.

-Did we look "pretty" in any of our wins last year?

-We've heard griping about the defense not getting big plays, sacks, turnovers.  I think they turned that around today.

-We didn't look well-prepared on O at all (see BA/BS report for tomorrow).  But our defense had shades of 2008 today.

We need some serious work in the off week but I am thrilled just to get the win.

Yep.  Agree on all fronts.

I didn't think the O play calling was terrible.  The OL protected well enough but had a tough time with the DL knocking passes down.  It really threw the passing game off and we weren't able to take advantage of a missing Winfield as we could have.  That said, Wallace and Holmes both benefited from a sub-par secondary.

Your point about ugly games...other than early in the SD game, last year's playoffs weren't masterpieces for us; SB included. So to that extent, nothing new for this group.  Doesn't make it any easier to watch but it's SOP.

I think I've used enough commas for now.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2009 at 23:14 »

I still cannot wrap my brain around today's offensive "gameplan".  That was amateurish even by Arians' infinitely low standards.  Did they even throw it at Winfield's myriad replacements once?  The Ravens threw at Paymah and Co. all 2nd half last week with Winfield out and somehow, we couldn't even manage one throw his way?

Just when it seemed like Arians was starting to turn things around (relatively speaking, of course).

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Joetorious
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #14 on: Oct 26, 2009 at 09:03 »

I still cannot wrap my brain around today's offensive "gameplan".  That was amateurish even by Arians' infinitely low standards.   Did they even throw it at Winfield's myriad replacements once?  The Ravens threw at Paymah and Co. all 2nd half last week with Winfield out and somehow, we couldn't even manage one throw his way?

Just when it seemed like Arians was starting to turn things around (relatively speaking, of course).

My sentiments, exactly.

As a secondary note, with Wallace, Roethlisberger and Miller starting on my fantasy squad, I was lucky that I was playing the last-place team this week. Barring a disproportionate amount of TOs to catches, yards and TDs by Desean Jackson tonight, I have myself yet another win, solidifying my rank atop the leaderboard.

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Oct 26, 2009 at 11:59 »

Same problems creeped up again today.  If not for some great "D", and a couple "Farvesque" moments, we would have pissed this one away as well.

C'mon, guys. 

When they were relyin on the O, people were complainin' that the D needs to step up.  So, the offense had a very pedestrian day (by revamped Steelers offense standards) yesterday, the D steps up when it counts and...people are still complainin'?  They held the best RB in the league to 60 somethin' yards and knocked off one of the four remaining undefeateds in the league.  Did anyone really expect a blowout?

It would be nice, but they can't all be 30-3 snoozers with the O and D consistently putting up peak performances.  This team does what it needs to do to win and is tied (at least in the loss column) for the division lead.

They've got two weeks to enjoy it and then watch them beat the snot out of another undefeated team.  You can change the uniform, but in the end, that squad is still led by Kyle "Jeff Reed's got nuttin' on ME!" Orton.*

*The preceding message was brought to you by Jack Daniels.  The drink that makes it easy to get it in her stink.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Oct 26, 2009 at 18:05 »

Thanks AJ.  Well put!
 clap eck02

I'm still the one with the boobs.
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Oct 26, 2009 at 21:32 »

C'mon, guys. 

When they were relyin on the O, people were complainin' that the D needs to step up.  So, the offense had a very pedestrian day (by revamped Steelers offense standards) yesterday, the D steps up when it counts and...people are still complainin'?  They held the best RB in the league to 60 somethin' yards and knocked off one of the four remaining undefeateds in the league.  Did anyone really expect a blowout?

It would be nice, but they can't all be 30-3 snoozers with the O and D consistently putting up peak performances.  This team does what it needs to do to win and is tied (at least in the loss column) for the division lead.

They've got two weeks to enjoy it and then watch them beat the snot out of another undefeated team.  You can change the uniform, but in the end, that squad is still led by Kyle "Jeff Reed's got nuttin' on ME!" Orton.*

*The preceding message was brought to you by Jack Daniels.  The drink that makes it easy to get it in her stink.

I'm not even upset by the performance, just the actual gameplan.  The offense never even attempted to pick on those replacement corners, and Mendenhall had running lanes we haven't seen all season.  Yet play after play all we saw were screens and dump offs, half of which were knocked down at the line.  If Arians would have called a decent game, the D doesn't have to score those TDs in the 4th quarter.

It's just disappointing to me, because it honestly seemed liked Arians was starting to turn a corner and was starting to move in the right direction.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: