Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 23, 2014 at 07:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question for the Bikers  (Read 2364 times)
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Dec 04, 2009 at 15:47 »

Here is a link to another thread that has a video and a bike-o-puter link.  When the map comes up, click satellite to get the google earth map. 

http://maximumgrilledsteelers.com/index.php?topic=17997.0

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Axeman
Father Time
N00b

« Reply #21 on: Dec 04, 2009 at 16:10 »

5th and Linden?  Do you have a concealed weapons permit?  That is what I consider rough territory in an Appalachia sort of way.  I can say that becasue back in the day, I delivered pizzas out of the Pizza Hut at Woodman and Burkhart.  The map in my head is getting fuzzy, but we delivered down 5th down to the edge of downtown.  Linden may have been a block South of our territory.  What's the rec center right there at 5th and Burkhart?  I can't believe I can't remember the name of it, but I left there in 1991.  Everything from there West, towards down town, was borderline wellfare recipient territory. 

I grew up in Vandalia and lived in Beavercreek while jacking around and attending Wright State.  Lets see if I can come up with street names.  I lived at Kemp and Grange Hall in a townhome complex - definitely can't think of the name of that - but just North (I think) of the grocery store or auto place that is/was at that intersection.  That is about 2 miles from Wright State.  You prolly know where that is.

I now live in the Denver Metro area, on the South West side of Denver.  Just started Mountain biking about 2 years ago but I am really into it.  I have posted a few video clips and my rides (GPS cyclo-puter overlays actual route on google earth) in some other threads.  I'll see if I can dig them up and add them to this thread.

Fortunately, the scenery, weather, and topography here are quite different than that of Ohio.  Very low humidiy, and at higher elevation where the biking takes place, not overly hot.  Here the riding season is generally March through November.  March you have to pick your spots, as some still have snow, and the same with November.

Where do you ride around Dayton?

Wright State huh Huh?? funny you mention that. before I moved here (was still in Toledo) my Brother and I came down here to install some Carpet for one of the campus Apartment complexes (don't remember the name) behiond the Meijer store off of Col. Glenn Hwy. we where here for 3 weeks, in that 3 weeks time I got to know some of the Students that was still here (we started before spring break began) and they talked me into playin some Beer Pong with them, anyway I had to show those Youngsters ( I was 42 at the time)how it was done, went 15-0 before they finally gave up and didn't want to play against me anymore. then I had to deal with them arguing over who was gonna be my teammate. anyway had a blast there some good peeps all around in that place.

LMAO at the concealed Weapon Permit thing, and no I don't, I have no problems in this area. I think thats because of the fact that when I 1st arrived here some people tried fuckin with me and they quicly found out that I'm no slouch when it comes to fighting. I beat some ass and asked questions later ( then they found out I used to be a fighter both in the Army and in the Yard (back in the day, late 80's) I used to do some illegal basement fighting. won some cash and decided it wasn't for me, I did go 10-3 in the time my dumbass did that shit. so word got out and I haven't had so much as a name call. It's still welfare territory here but the rent is cheap.

I'm jealous you live in the Denver area, must have some good bike trails there. I ride anywhere and everywhere, parks mostly but I do some street riding here and there. the park of choice is Evergreen just off of Linden about 1-1 1/2 miles from Smithville. but the park where the mountain bike trails I go to is in or I should say just outside of Englewood. I ride out to Xenia and beyond on the bike path through evergreen park.

If it doesn't matter who wins the game, then why keep score.
Axeman
Father Time
N00b

« Reply #22 on: Dec 04, 2009 at 16:15 »

Here is a link to another thread that has a video and a bike-o-puter link.  When the map comes up, click satellite to get the google earth map. 

http://maximumgrilledsteelers.com/index.php?topic=17997.0

whoa, rock on. that looked like some fun shit there. the mountain bike trail here is nothing compared to that.

If it doesn't matter who wins the game, then why keep score.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Dec 06, 2009 at 10:20 »

Sounds like you have enough "talent" to live in that are - lol.  I had a couple of close calls delivering pizzas with mugging/fighting but managed to get out of both.

Before I moved to CO, they had just built the Nutter center but the Meijer and most of that other stuff wasn't there.  They were just starting on the Fairfield mall there on North Fairfield, and it seemed odd they would build a mall out there.  Crazy.

After living out here, I couldn't ride back there in the humidity.  When I did ride out there, I would ride from Beavercreek out to Yellow Springs and back.  Country roads and no cars for the most part. 

This is definitely a mtn biking paradise.  The start of the trail in that link, which is where the video was taken, is 4 miles from my house. That is the beginning of the Colorado Trail which is 490 miles in length and goes to the South West corner of the State.  Some times Bike Neighbor's wife takes up in the foothills and we ride that trail home.

It is a lot of fun, but mostly good exercise, outside, and in the mountains. 

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Dec 06, 2009 at 10:28 »

http://maximumgrilledsteelers.com/index.php?topic=17823.0

Here is a short video that shows what a lot of that trail looks like.  The section above where I come into the picture is really gnarly but some fun down hill.

I posted a video on here showing Bike Neighbor riding up a really hard part, but I can't find it.

Good stuff.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: