Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 19, 2014 at 04:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Run versus pass halftime adjustments  (Read 393 times)
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« on: Nov 18, 2009 at 10:03 »

Now that a couple days have gone by and I can breathe without cussing involuntarily, I started looking at something that bothered me. Going into the game, the Steelers had passed the ball 286 times and run it 228 for a 56% pass to run percentage. During the game, the Steelers were running the ball for 4.4 yards a carry, which is right at their season average, and is better than the last time the two teams played in which they ran it for 3.8 a pop. But they threw it for 3.7 yards per attempt, which is 2 yards worse than their worst days this season. Yet, they came out and for the first time this year threw the ball more than 70% of the time (71% to be exact) even though they weren't down by two scores or anything. Now, the first game against Cincy, they threw it for 8.7 per attempt, so I don't blame the coaching staff for thinking they could have success, but apparently Marvin Lewis decided to make adjustments. Our coaching staff made no such adjustments.

Add to that the fact that we atuomatically line up in 5 wides on 3rd and 2 or 3rd and 1, and we made it way too easy for the Bengals to defend. We are not the Colts, we're that efficient at passing the ball. There has to be ballance, particularly on a day when Ben can't hit the side of a barn. Our coaches were asleep.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2009 at 17:03 »

BA was preoccupied trying to decide whether he was going to have Lucky Charms or Fruit Loops for dinner when he got home from the game.  Every time he looked at Ben and saw those Bengal colors draped on him, he craved the fruity goodness of Fruit Loops.   Mmmmmmmmm - Fruit Loops (Bengals sack Ben again and the quietness wakes BA out of his fruity stupor)  Doh.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2009 at 18:24 »

I give the Bengals full marks for picking their spots to rush the QB with full fervor. Zimmer's been getting a lot of credit for having his ends and outside LBs play such a disciplined game. The ends were only getting as high as Ben, without continuing deeper to create a running lane, and working across toward the QB. They definitely kept him in the pocket. He had one nice scramble for about 8-12 yards in the first quarter but that was it. Definitely sat back and batted down an unusual amount of passes, including one for a pick. Yet they still pressured and sacked us when they needed to.

Arians got worked over.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2009 at 09:08 »

I agree, they've gotten away from the run for no apparent reason far too often this season.  And the CIN game was the most blatant example.  There's simply no excuse for 40 passes (not counting sacks) and about 16 rushes (not counting scrambles).  That's absurd!  And that's all on BA, 100%.  His inability to make adjustments is glaring.

And yeah, give some credit to the Cincy D and Zimmer (he was good in Dallas), but the Steelers' offense made it easy for them.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: