Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 25, 2014 at 15:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roster move 11/17: Arnold Harrison <--> Donovan Woods  (Read 547 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Nov 17, 2009 at 11:15 »

Arnie gets cut, Donovan's back.

STs, maybe?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2009 at 08:51 »

Bandaide on the bullet wound, but I'll take it. Woods is definitely quicker and more motivated on special teams. I think our special teams problems started in final cutdowns when veterans like Madison who were special teams phenoms were cut in favor of 'promising rookies" like Burnett who may eventually be productive members of the team, but aren't as good at coverage.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2009 at 09:20 »

In all seriousness, how fucking hard is it to play special teams?

I mean, it's not brain surgery.  You run to where the returner is, try to avoid getting blocked along the way, you tackle said returner.  Why would it take a few years to become a savvy vet to learn this?  I realize there are schemes involved with coverage and all, but come on... 

BTW, aren't there lots of teams that use young guys on coverage?  Wouldn't we expect a natural turnover every few years for every team, resulting in this sort of spike across the board?  Yet we're the ones who seem to be consistently bad in coverage.  Why would the Madison Theory hold, if we were bad a couple of years ago?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2009 at 10:02 »

It's largely a matter of vision, fearlessness and being able to thread your way through traffic. It's like linebackers, some can get through the traffic and can play with their eyes on the ball carrier and not on the guy in front of them, while other guys can't process secondary information like that and have to concentrate on the guy right in front of them, losing sight of the ball. It's not that a guy like Madison "learned" to play special teams well, it's that he has the vision and knack for it IMO. Some of the guys we have are like a QB who can't read a defense yet. They don't see the play developing, they over think things, and the game moves too fast for them while they're running down the field. I played left tackle in high school, and they had me on kick return teams. I was much more comfortable going against a defensive end than I was running down field and picking up a guy to block, because the facemask is rattling, you have your head on a swivel, nobody is set and close to you so you have to pick them out of "space", and it has to be the same on the other side.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2009 at 10:43 »

I read a note somewhere that guys like Clark, James Harrison and Keisel volunteered for kick coverage, but Tomlin said something to the effect of "that's not how we want to fix things," as if having those guys out there isn't a long-term solution.  I guess I just don't understand what's wrong with having some of your best tacklers out there in what is currently the biggest problem with this team.  If those guys want to be out there, why not put them out there?  You're telling me you'd rather have all 175lbs of Stefan Logan trying to tackle someone instead of Harrison or Clark?

I just don't get it.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2009 at 18:12 »

I read a note somewhere that guys like Clark, James Harrison and Keisel volunteered for kick coverage, but Tomlin said something to the effect of "that's not how we want to fix things," as if having those guys out there isn't a long-term solution.

If this is true, I have a feeling next week James will be playing.  Even if he goes out right before kickoff and yanks someone else off the field.  James is covering kicks cause James says so.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: