Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 20, 2014 at 16:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Won't steal Preach's thread title....  (Read 1109 times)
bamf16
Old School Member

« on: Nov 30, 2009 at 07:36 »

But these are my observations.

1.  Ike Taylor is as good a cover guy as we've had in awhile.  His inability to catch has been easier to overlook when the rest of the defense is making plays and Ike is at least knocking the ball down.  It cost us big against KC, and his poor game in Baltimore hurt.

2.  William Gay didn't play well either, but I'm not ready to throw him under the bus completely just yet.  He's a first year starter who I think will be a decent #2 CB for awhile.  He just needs to tackle better.

3.  I hate seeing Tyrone Carter yapping after every play when he gets in the TV picture.  You're not one-tenth the player Troy is, so talk about one-tenth the amount Troy does.

4.  I don't see Logan as an upgrade over Davenport or Russel in the return game.  Wallace or Holmes should be taking over right now.

5.  What BA did with Dixon last night is what Ray Sherman tried to do with Kordell.  Take a QB not adept at reading defenses, but with great speed, and make him a pocket passer who has to read and throw timing passes.  Anytime DD ran, look what happened.  And they tried to make him a pocket passer against a complex defense playing at home.  Look up "mental set" in any psychology index, and you'll see BA.  

6.  I'm sick of watching Mewelde Moore running the ball outside.  I know he's the best blocking back, so he's in there when we go to the shotgun on 3rd down, and putting Parker in that formation would tip the defense, but make another adjustment.  Go regular set on 3rd down and run the draw with WP or Rashard.  Moore is good between the tackles against a regular defense, but not to the outside against an opponents' nickel or dime when there's more speed on the field.

7.  The defense made enough plays to win.  There is plenty to point fingers at, but we had 2 chances in OT to take the ball into FG range and didn't do it.  We had 1:45 left in the first half that we pissed away, and we had the ball with under 2:00 in the 4th.  The sheer volume of dumb plays (Clark not turning around on the deep completion to Clayton, Ike in the end zone on Mason's TD, Ike being the only player I've ever seen to get an illegal contact penalty AND pass interference on the SAME PLAY, and big completion on 4th and 5) is easy to criticize, but I also think pinning this on the defense is too easy.

8.  Mendenhall ran downhill against the Balty defense very well.  I think he's becoming our best offensive player.

9.  Hines was in the wrong with his comments.  I know Ben is closer to Roberto Clemente than he is to Hines Ward when it comes to injuries.  Hines had other opportunities better than this one to send that message.

10.  We'll go 10-6, get the #6 seed, and lose in New England in the first round.

No one wants to hear about the labor pains, they just want to see the baby.
--Lou Brock
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 08:11 »

Okay, you're trying to hang with The Master.  No, not THE Master, as in the one we refer to in my profession...just me!  I'll let it slide since you didn't exactly rip off my whole schtick, but I will be back later in the day to put you to shame, you friggin' hack!   Grin

Can't say I disagree strongly with anything you said and found myself pretty much nodding my head...until it got down to not "blaming" the defense.  Yes, we got turnovers and made some huge plays, but we gave up huge plays.  When you're essentially playing a rookie QB in what amounts to a playoff game, you CANNOT give up 40 yard dump passes to Ray Rice and deep rainbow bombs where the safety could get his hands up and essentially stop it.  Just can't happen.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 08:17 »

I agree with everything except a couple points. First, Moore is not the best blocker, Mendy has become the best blocker, which makes it even more fucking frustrating that they pull him on third down. I don't know, maybe Moore has been giving Tomlin head under the table since their Minnesota days, and he wants to keep his lover in there on third downs or something, but a coach with a clear vision would only use Moore on the couple throw-away series they have every game when they rest Mendy and bring in Willie.
Second, Cincy isn't gonna get the #2 seed IMO, the Pats'll get it even if they lose tonight. I think Cincy will lose to Minnesota and San Diego, so we'll be playing either in Cincy or San Diego in the first round. I think that's a win, and I think the Ravens will be the other wild card, so we'll lose to the Pats in the second round, because I think the Ravens will win their first round game too..

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 08:20 »

But these are my observations.

1.  Ike Taylor is as good a cover guy as we've had in awhile.  His inability to catch has been easier to overlook when the rest of the defense is making plays and Ike is at least knocking the ball down.  It cost us big against KC, and his poor game in Baltimore hurt.

I have no problem with Ike's play this season.  Any player can have an off game, and he's been more than solid all year.  

2.  William Gay didn't play well either, but I'm not ready to throw him under the bus completely just yet.  He's a first year starter who I think will be a decent #2 CB for awhile.  He just needs to tackle better.

Teams are picking on Gay partly because Ike has been so solid, and partly because Gay's the new kid.  I agree: he'll come around with some more experience.  We also have a couple of young guys who I think will push him (Lewis, Burnett), so the future of our corners looks good.

3.  I hate seeing Tyrone Carter yapping after every play when he gets in the TV picture.  You're not one-tenth the player Troy is, so talk about one-tenth the amount Troy does.

The future of our safeties is another story.  Carter sucks.  I know he can make some heads-up plays, and has helped us in the past, but he is a major liability.  IMO, a safety who can play strong or free is a top priority in the coming draft, whether we retain Clark or not.  We just need depth.

4.  I don't see Logan as an upgrade over Davenport or Russel in the return game.  Wallace or Holmes should be taking over right now.

When I think of STs problems, this is not the one that comes screaming to mind...

5.  What BA did with Dixon last night is what Ray Sherman tried to do with Kordell.  Take a QB not adept at reading defenses, but with great speed, and make him a pocket passer who has to read and throw timing passes.  Anytime DD ran, look what happened.  And they tried to make him a pocket passer against a complex defense playing at home.  Look up "mental set" in any psychology index, and you'll see BA.  

I disagree.  I think Double D is a true running threat, but frankly I do believe he can develop into a pretty good pocket passer.  Admittedly, BA kept the training wheels on, but I wouldn't mind seeing DD moved to QB2 now, Batch to IR, and bring in another player to the 53-man.  In fact, use DD as a change of pace guy, let him run a few plays as a sparkplug, IMO.

6.  I'm sick of watching Mewelde Moore running the ball outside.  I know he's the best blocking back, so he's in there when we go to the shotgun on 3rd down, and putting Parker in that formation would tip the defense, but make another adjustment.  Go regular set on 3rd down and run the draw with WP or Rashard.  Moore is good between the tackles against a regular defense, but not to the outside against an opponents' nickel or dime when there's more speed on the field.

Agreed. BA isn't very smart at playing to our strengths.

7.  The defense made enough plays to win.  There is plenty to point fingers at, but we had 2 chances in OT to take the ball into FG range and didn't do it.  We had 1:45 left in the first half that we pissed away, and we had the ball with under 2:00 in the 4th.  The sheer volume of dumb plays (Clark not turning around on the deep completion to Clayton, Ike in the end zone on Mason's TD, Ike being the only player I've ever seen to get an illegal contact penalty AND pass interference on the SAME PLAY, and big completion on 4th and 5) is easy to criticize, but I also think pinning this on the defense is too easy.

But but but... the defense hasn't been able to close the deal all year long.  We've allowed too many teams, bad teams at that, to come back and win.  I realize 43 is a huge difference on the field, but I do think we need some injection of youth via the draft on D-side this year, particularly safety, but also DL and ILB.  Farrior is slow, Hamp is too easily winded, and Aaron's replacements have not shown much yet.

8.  Mendenhall ran downhill against the Balty defense very well.  I think he's becoming our best offensive player.

As Mendy's prime defender for about a year now, I'll gloat about that.  Yeah, he tore them for chunks last night.

9.  Hines was in the wrong with his comments.  I know Ben is closer to Roberto Clemente than he is to Hines Ward when it comes to injuries.  Hines had other opportunities better than this one to send that message.

He was wrong.  Let the team deal with it.

10.  We'll go 10-6, get the #6 seed, and lose in New England in the first round.

I think we'll go 10-6, but if 43 and 7 are back and healthy, we could still pull some surprises.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 09:12 »

I think we'll go 10-6, but if 43 and 7 are back and healthy, we could still pull some surprises.

The weird thing is, I think we're a sleeping giant. We've certainly got our problems, we've been inconsistent as hell, and our defense is gassed in the 4th quarter (which hasn't been helped by our pass-wacky game plans for the offense).

But we've lost games because of things that shouldn't repeat: Reed missing a makeable FG, Sweed dropping an easy TD pass, giving up completions on 4th-down, kickoffs returned for TDs. We're clearly not good enough to overcome these kinds of plays, but in a short season like the playoffs, if we can manage going a couple of games without huge screwups, I don't think there are great teams out there.

there are great records out there, but I think that has more to do with how god-awful the bottom third of the NFL is than with how good the elite teams are. This Colts team is not as good as the '04/'05 team. The Patriots are not that good, either. The Vikings, I think, are the best team and we beat them (with some plays not likely to happen again, granted).

And you know what else? the Rest of the AFC is praying we don't make the playoffs. The Pats or Bengals would be happy to spot the Jaguars or Broncos or Jets or even the Ravens 10 points than play us in round 1, I guarantee you.
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 09:57 »

the Rest of the AFC is praying we don't make the playoffs. The Pats or Bengals would be happy to spot the Jaguars or Broncos or Jets or even the Ravens 10 points than play us in round 1, I guarantee you.

Kinda depends on whether or not the sleeping giant actualy wakes up or not. Yeah, if we close it out with 5 solid wins and Denver finishes ahead of us in the Wild card race, I can see the #3 seed resting their starters on the last weekend and conceding that spot to the #4 seed so they don't have to get us in the first round.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 10:03 »

the Rest of the AFC is praying we don't make the playoffs. The Pats or Bengals would be happy to spot the Jaguars or Broncos or Jets or even the Ravens 10 points than play us in round 1, I guarantee you.

Kinda depends on whether or not the sleeping giant actualy wakes up or not. Yeah, if we close it out with 5 solid wins and Denver finishes ahead of us in the Wild card race, I can see the #3 seed resting their starters on the last weekend and conceding that spot to the #4 seed so they don't have to get us in the first round.

Yeah, no doubt. We have been undisciplined and uninspired, and to some extent unprofessional, all year. That could easily continue the rest of the way. If we play the rest of the way exactly how we have for 11 games, we'll finish 8-8.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2009 at 08:49 »

But but but... the defense hasn't been able to close the deal all year long.  We've allowed too many teams, bad teams at that, to come back and win.  I realize 43 is a huge difference on the field, but I do think we need some injection of youth via the draft on D-side this year, particularly safety, but also DL and ILB.  Farrior is slow, Hamp is too easily winded, and Aaron's replacements have not shown much yet.

Yeah, that 4th and 5...that's at least two games that Farrior has not been able to stop a player from converting to seal a victory. I love the guy, he's cagey, great locker room presence, the defensive QB. But his speed has dropped off precipitously, and we are going to have to think about getting his replacement here, real quick.

Still think that the depth at safety is a bigger issue. BAP at DL/ILB/S in 2010? Shocked that I'm not bitching about our need to draft OL high, of course.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2009 at 10:01 »

Still think that the depth at safety is a bigger issue. BAP at DL/ILB/S in 2010? Shocked that I'm not bitching about our need to draft OL high, of course.

Yes, shocking indeed.  But I have to give Colbert and the coaches credit for seeing something in the Oline that none of us did.  They have turned into a respectable unit; at the least, they are not our biggest problem this season.  Essex has been a pleasant surprise, Kemo has looked spectacular at times, Starks and Colon are holding their own.  Still think we need to upgrade Hartwig, but again, he's not horrible.  I think Colon is our most improved lineman in the bunch.

On defense, we are starting to need help mainly due to age.  Farrior, Smith, Keisel, Hamp all getting long in the tooth.  We might lose Smith and Hamp next season.  Fox is adequate, but I don't think he can fill Farrior's shoes.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2009 at 10:03 »

Yeah, that 4th and 5...that's at least two games that Farrior has not been able to stop a player from converting to seal a victory. I love the guy, he's cagey, great locker room presence, the defensive QB. But his speed has dropped off precipitously, and we are going to have to think about getting his replacement here, real quick.

I think our OT depth is still an issue, even if Colon gets a new deal.  Some talk that Hampton will get a new deal, but not sure how the CBA stuff enters into that.  Franchise tag maybe?

Don't forget that we have Fox, who could possibly step in at either ILB spot, whereas at OLB we have shitty depth, at least as bad as S.  If I were going to prioritize, generally going by value by round, I might suggest an early draft model of:

1. OT or S (who can play SS or FS)
2. OT or S (who can play SS or FS)
3. NT
4. OLB
5. ILB
6. RB - value round speed back if FWP leaves
7. S (need 2 backups who can play SS/FS, IMO)

That's 5/7 defense, which is about right as we seem younger on offense.

I think we'll find our replacement for Hartwig in Stapleton/Legursky/Shipley.

I also think we'll try to keep Holmes, and give Sweed another year.  Maybe bring in some FA WR.

We have a lot of young OG (Urbik, Foster, Stapleton, Legursky), and doubt we draft any.

Could see us taking another DE, just because depth there is also a question and Keisel is getting older, too.  But with Hood, A. Smith, and Keisel, it seems less a priority.

NT, I think you can find some value, especially with small school guys.

CB, I like our young corners, and maybe we add a vet if DT goes.

Suggestions:

1. Morgan Burnett, S, GA Tech (jr.) - Ballhawk, can play either safety spot, nice size and speed.
2. Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland (jr) - Would be a top 20 pick in 2011, but good chance Maryland gets shaken up after a terrible season, and Campbell opts to declare.  Monstrous size, fleet footed, October knee injury could drop Campbell to us in R2.  
3. Kenrick Ellis, NT, Hampton (jr) - Hampton's gotten some decent defensive players in the bigs of late, and Ellis (a SC transfer) may declare early if he can sneak into the middle rounds.  Hampton's last two seasons have hovered around .500, and Ellis may see the value of getting out early.  Three juniors in the first three rounds, as Tomlin likes to bring 'em in early and coach 'em up.  This guy isn't as big as Cody Wallace, but he's pretty damned close.
4. Pat Angerer, ILB, Iowa - A little small for the Steelers buck, but then again Potsie has been playing around 235# recently.  Good instincts, some injury history.  IMO, sort of like Kurt Coleman of Ohio St. (S), a smaller guy who has a great feel for the game.
5. Danny Batten, OLB, South Dakota State - Good speed and ability to get to QB, perfect spot here to learn behind 92 and 56.  Sleeper.
6. Brandon West, RB/KR, W. Michigan - Broke Greg Jennings's all-purpose yardage record.  Could replace FWP as COP/3rd down back AND take Stefan Logan's KR job.  
7. Kyle McCarthy, S, Notre Dame - Best player on a bad defense.  Not a bad nose for the ball, and has decent speed and SS/FS versatility.  

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: