Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 24, 2014 at 01:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NE@NO  (Read 637 times)
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« on: Nov 30, 2009 at 22:41 »

Never gets old watching the Pats get their asses kicked.

New Orleans - wow.  That offense was as close to unstoppable as any I've seen.  And the D shut down NE completely in the second half - haven't seen Brady look that bad in a half for a while.  That last INT he threw was simply awful.

If Saints play anything close to that the rest of the way, don't see anyone stopping them.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 22:45 »

Those Saints are looking pretty damn fo-real.  That was a spanking they doled out to NE.  They made Beardy look no better than Dixon's 2nd half last night.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2009 at 08:31 »

I thought both undefeateds would go down this week.  Houston was well on their way before Manning did what Manning does.  The Pats would, I thought, show some defensive twists that the Saints hadn't seen against shaky LOC, despite their overall defensive decline over the last few years.  Plus, isn't the almighty AFC always better than the NFC?  Well, I don't know if I've been this happy to be wrong in quite a while.

Houston losing = good for us.  Patriots losing = always good regardless.

I realize we're only now in December, and teams that were shaky before can sometimes put it together and go on a run (*cough, Steelers, cough*).  But IMO that holds more in the AFC, where the Colts are vulnerable, and none of the division leaders are all that dominant.  The NFC really looks set for a Vikings-Saints NFCC, and I would have to give the winner of that the nod in the SB.  But as I said, a lot can happen in the months of December and January.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2009 at 12:32 »

Amazing how the Saints can bring in a coupla McCornerbacks off the street (granted, they're two pretty solid "wily vets," still...) and totally shutdown the Patriot offense.  In the meantime, the Steelers are marching guys that have been here since Day 1 out there that look like they're swatting at flies when it comes to defending a pass.  Yes, Mr. Taylor, I'm talkin' to you.

Anyway, great game by the Aints.  Any game that includes a Pastry beating is A-OK in my book.  And honestly, of the two NFC favs, Minny and N.O., I wouldn't mind seeing either rep go all the way.  In fact, if Pittsburgh falters, I would likely become a huge NFC fan because there's really nobody on the AFC side I could stomach other than Indy.  S.D.?  Denver?  New England?  Baltimore?  Cincinnati???

*vomit*

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2009 at 08:50 »

That was a great game. I couldn't help thinking that, personnel-wise, are the Saints on offense much better than the Steelers? They have a better line, granted. And a deeper pool of RBs and TEs, but it's not like we would need all-stars to catch up in these areas.

They run a better scheme, goes without saying.

Brees has such a nice deep ball, made me think too about Ben's. What happened to his accuracy on the deep pass? Seems like he consistently underthrows, and I don't know what that's about.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2009 at 09:10 »

Brees has such a nice deep ball, made me think too about Ben's. What happened to his accuracy on the deep pass? Seems like he consistently underthrows, and I don't know what that's about.

The guys that can throw the deep ball, loft it high and it seems to drop where it needs to be. I dunno...Ben's never quite seem to act like that. And yes, they're always short. Often, he seems to throw the 40 yard pass exactly like the 15. Touch is not his specialty. See #34 going up the sideline vs. KC.
Manimal

« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2009 at 10:21 »

The guys that can throw the deep ball, loft it high and it seems to drop where it needs to be. I dunno...Ben's never quite seem to act like that. And yes, they're always short. Often, he seems to throw the 40 yard pass exactly like the 15. Touch is not his specialty. See #34 going up the sideline vs. KC.

Maybe every QB has their range, a distance that they click with. Ben, I think, throws the 12-to-20 yard pass as accurately as any passer I've ever seen. He hits guys in stride, he throws darts into tight spaces, it's very impressive, and probably the best part of his game.

His deeper stuff is not as crisp, and it sometimes seems sort of intentional, like he doesn't want to overthrow an open deep guy. Like he wants to make sure the receiver can make a play on the ball, so he errs on the side of the underthrow.

He's pretty good at the 5-to-12 range, and then I think he's at his weakest with the really short stuff. It's not that he's terrible but just that we haven't been a great screen-passing team in forevery. (The one exception to this is the quick bullet pass to the sideline to Holmes or Ward.)

If he can get on the same page with the deep pass with Wallace, that would be nice, as I can think of at least 3 TDs that didn't happen when Wallace had his man beat by 2 steps but the ball was short enough the coverage could make a play on it.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2009 at 10:38 »

IMO, his ability to hit on those bombs is adversely affected by indecision. 

*pump fake*

*pump fake*

*pass*

Put it out there and let the burners run under it.  You can't hit 'em in stride if you're in the pocket for 4 or 5 seconds and then decide to heave it.  It gives the defense a chance to close the gap.

That approach wouldn't be as big of a deal if they had WRs like Fitz, Moss, Colston, Wayne, et al. who routinely go up and make catches in traffic.  Holmes and Wallace are guys that need to be open to make a reception.  Ward not as much, but he doesn't have the size and leaping ability to go up over a CB and take one away.

If you're gonna fling it 50+, Favre~style, I'd prefer he overthrow, not underthrow the target.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Manimal

« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2009 at 13:19 »

IMO, his ability to hit on those bombs is adversely affected by indecision. 

*pump fake*

*pump fake*

*pass*

Put it out there and let the burners run under it.  You can't hit 'em in stride if you're in the pocket for 4 or 5 seconds and then decide to heave it.  It gives the defense a chance to close the gap.

That approach wouldn't be as big of a deal if they had WRs like Fitz, Moss, Colston, Wayne, et al. who routinely go up and make catches in traffic.  Holmes and Wallace are guys that need to be open to make a reception.  Ward not as much, but he doesn't have the size and leaping ability to go up over a CB and take one away.

If you're gonna fling it 50+, Favre~style, I'd prefer he overthrow, not underthrow the target.

Great point, man. I think you nailed it. That's exactly part of his deal.

I think we're all waiting for Ben to mature to the point where he has a feel for when it's appropriate for him to pump and run around and improvise, and whent it's the right time to take his 5- or 7-step drop and let it rip. He may never get there, and sometimes I think he's so talented he's uncoachable on this point, but maybe I'll be wrong.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2009 at 13:49 »

Thing is, earlier in the year there were some times he was dropping the deep ball in there pretty close to perfect.  I agree, he should pump once and let her go, but timing can be a funny thing.  Ben's perception of the separation, relative speed, and proper release time might just be something that's on one week and not on the next.  Agree that he should lead Wallace (and Tone) rather than risk the jump-ball, and I doubt he out-throws Wallace with much regularity.  Seems like he usually has to slow and adjust even on the successful throws, even if only subtly. 

If they can establish the burner with Wallace, this team is going to have a very dangerous option in December/January. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: