Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 21, 2014 at 21:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My $0.02 and the State of the Onion  (Read 1518 times)
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2009 at 07:39 »

Some say it's better to be lucky than good, and last years team might agree, but on a certain level you create your own luck. AJ mentioned some of the games last year that easily could have gone the other way ( the Dallas win is right there too), and it's very similar to this year minus the W's.

Sorry, I can't buy into that. Last year, we were all staring at the schedule and just shaking our heads. What a guantlet of tough contenders we played!

When the schedule was released this year, we all snickered. C'mon, the NFC North (prior to Cuntler and Favre)? The AFC West?!? Guaranteed to dominate these teams, right? Playoffs were a lock, we just needed to be ready to host the AFC Championship.

Sorry, this team was set up this year, and just tried to mail it in.

Still, if we can get through Cleveland (shaking my head at the "if" there), we still have a fighting chance, so, ok....I'll bite.

Let's fucking go!

tt03 tt03 tt03

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2009 at 07:51 »

I'm pretty confident that 10-6 would get them in. The Jets are not doing any better than 9-7 because they're just not that good. The Jets could play the Browns four times and they'd drop one. So nix them.

If we go 10-6, that nixes the Dolphins and Ravens, obviously.

That leaves the Jags and Broncos and us (with a theoretical 10-6 record) in the hunt for two playoff spots. So we just need one of these teams to shit the bed. We'd win any tie-breaker that comes down to just us and Denver, of course, so if, say, the Jags win out and we're stuck with Denver at 10-6, we're in. If we all end up with the same record, I believe, we lose, because by rule the Steelers lose all tie-breakers involving multiple teams no matter what year it is.

The Jags or Broncos are bad enough to lose the number of games we'll need. The hard part, clearly, will be us getting to 10-6.

If we finish 10-6, and the Broncos and Jags do as well, we get in and the Broncos are out. Here ya go. Here's a fun site that let's you do all the scenarios. Cool little algorithm.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=currentStandings

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2009 at 08:13 »

If we finish 10-6, and the Broncos and Jags do as well, we get in and the Broncos are out. Here ya go. Here's a fun site that let's you do all the scenarios. Cool little algorithm.

That's a cool site.  They have GB as the only team the Steelers lose to the rest of the way and if you flip that to a win, they're in, assuming as sdw said, the Broncos lose two more and Jags one more.  And who is the first round matchup?  That's right, the Bengals.  Oh football gods, I pray thee, please allow this to happen.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2009 at 08:31 »

Oh, wow, thanks for the correction and the link! And jonzr, I agree with the thought that Green Bay is going to be the toughest out on our schedule. In terms of how teams are playing right now, the Packers might be among the top 6 or 7 teams in the league. Hopefully, the homefield advantage will work for us and the Pack might not bring the same urgency to an AFC opponent.
JHSilverback
N00b

« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2009 at 11:15 »

Hey all, it's been about two years since I have posted on here...actually lost my old screen name and password.  It's great to be back...on to my comment:

I would love to see the Steelers get hot and make a nice run to shut up all of the naysayers and idiots who claim the Steelers get help from the refs.  We are 4 dropped picks on the last drive away from being 10-2 right now.  I would love for this team to play the way they did during the 4 game win streak and storm in to the playoffs on roll....just my 2 cents worth.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2009 at 22:36 »

Um, never-fucking-mind.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2009 at 07:36 »

When the football gods shit on you, they eat KashiTM first.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: