Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 22, 2014 at 22:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 ... 5 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MGS FFL Playoff preview SPECTACULAR!!!  (Read 4664 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Dec 08, 2009 at 18:26 »

In what has proved to be thee most balanced season in MGS FF history (or as far back as my drunken ass can remember), the playoff matchups are set.  First, though, a look at those teams who didn't make into the top 75% of the league.

Jar's Greatest Show closes early, thanks in large part to under-acheivers Steve Smith (of CAR) and Brandon Jacobs.  Good news is, he now has a clear path to the #1 overall with only one potential keeper (Mendenhall) and therefore the rights to Matthew Stafford.

Key players missing playoffs:  Matt Schaub?

The Assaholics of AJ went down despite the AFC West juggernaut at QB of Hasselprick and Alex Smith.  He may not have any keepers (Gore and Grant both showed an injury tendency) going into next year, the second year running.

Key players missing playoffs: Gore and Grant.

Scac's Hungry Hungry Ho's looked a sure thing for the playoffs with Romo and his #1, Roy Williams, plus Tony Gonzalez and the RB stable of Forte, Portis, and Ricky Williams, but the two former would only combine for 150 points, the result of playing for the Redskins and Bears, respectively.

Key players missing playoffs: Romo, Gostkowski

In perhaps the biggest surprise of all, Bonzr's Lame-ass Swedes will have to watch the stat tracker from home without participating in week 14, despite out-pointing the four teams directly ahead of him.  Bonzr will have some major soul-searching to do this offseason to figure out why his teams consistently play down to their competition; on the bright side, the commish avoids any hint of collusion or conflict of interest by maganmimously finishing in the bottom 4 for the second year on the trot.

Key players missing playoffs:  Pip Livers, Steven Jackson, Donald Driver

Playoff Matchups:

#1 Sportin' Woodleys (Finny) vs. #8 KeystoneCops (KeystoneKC)

Defending champ the Woodleys garner the #1 seed again, despite earning only the third most points this season.  Rumor has it Finny was caught using a webcam to secretly watch other managers set their line-ups, but was only slapped on the wrist with a fine of $37.50.  Aaron Rodgers and ADAP lead the attack for the Woodleys, while the KC's late charge was in part led to snagging waiver orphan (and former Chicken) Jamaal Charles late in the season.  Hard to see the top seed falling in this one (Rodgers gets a soft Chicago D, while KC must choose between Jason Campbell and Matt Ryan at qb), a matchup of two wily old bastards.

#2 Pure Steel II (Vinman) vs. #7 Spen's Angry Reds (Spen)

Everyone's favorite Baltimaroon, just two seasons removed from Fantasy Football's biggest and birghtest prize, limps into the playoffs as a 7 seed (10th overall points) to face a red-hot Pure Steel, riding a league-best 4 game winning streak on the receding hairline of Drew Brees.  Spen's got a shot in this one, though, with Flacco in a favorable matchup versus Detroit, and Ed Reed also in a favorable matchup versus Detroit.  He'll need it, because Brees will likely put up at least 25 versus Atlanta.

#3 DrunkDrivingKillers (kluisi) vs. #6 PlexyMidThighGunners (Y2Joyce)

Despite the outcry over the public image of MGS FFL, both these criminally-minded teams made it into the second season in '09.  The DDK's, who were the season leader in overall points, have a winning combination in Manning-to-Wayne.  At some point, however, he's gotta be worried about the perennial late season resting of the Colts' stars.  My guess is, it won't be until the championship round, in part because the PlexyGunners start too damn many Pitters.  In addition, Y2Joyce's crew must be feeling the sting of finishing yet again below the hated arch-rival Chickens.  The monkey remains for another year.

# 4 MSDMNR's Mongrels (msdmnr) vs. #5 Chickens of General Gao (penso)

The Mongrels lost a key matchup in week 13, costing them a higher seed, while the Chickens remain one of the league's enigmas.  Which Chickens will show up?  The 107-point squad of last week, or the team that 5 times failed to crack 75 points?  The Chickens broke with tradition in ignoring character issues leading up to this season, opting to keep low-life scumbag pastriots Beardy and Moss.  They may catch a break with Carolina visiting Foxboro this week, and the Ravoon's D getting Detroit; but something tells me the Chickens will be counted unless Farv throws it to the guys in orange and black this weekend.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2009 at 22:00 »

I was cheated!  The whole lotta ya is lyin' cheaters and cheatin' liars.   cussing  It was fixed!

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2009 at 22:55 »

...#1 Sportin' Woodleys (Finny) vs. #8 KeystoneCops (KeystoneKC)

Defending champ the Woodleys garner the #1 seed again, despite earning only the third most points this season.  Rumor has it Finny was caught using a webcam to secretly watch other managers set their line-ups, but was only slapped on the wrist with a fine of $37.50.  Aaron Rodgers and ADAP lead the attack for the Woodleys, while the KC's late charge was in part led to snagging waiver orphan (and former Chicken) Jamaal Charles late in the season.  Hard to see the top seed falling in this one (Rodgers gets a soft Chicago D, while KC must choose between Jason Campbell and Matt Ryan at qb), a matchup of two wily old bastards....

Missin' most of the draft, startin' 0-4, & being outscored by 10 other teams, the Cops are just glad to be here this year boys.  Now if only I can stay awake long enough for the outcome.  My only hope is that Finny nodds off before setting his line-up.  Double Nyquiltinis on me Fin.

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2009 at 08:42 »

...#1 Sportin' Woodleys (Finny) vs. #8 KeystoneCops (KeystoneKC)

Defending champ the Woodleys garner the #1 seed again, despite earning only the third most points this season.  Rumor has it Finny was caught using a webcam to secretly watch other managers set their line-ups, but was only slapped on the wrist with a fine of $37.50.  Aaron Rodgers and ADAP lead the attack for the Woodleys, while the KC's late charge was in part led to snagging waiver orphan (and former Chicken) Jamaal Charles late in the season.  Hard to see the top seed falling in this one (Rodgers gets a soft Chicago D, while KC must choose between Jason Campbell and Matt Ryan at qb), a matchup of two wily old bastards....

Missin' most of the draft, startin' 0-4, & being outscored by 10 other teams, the Cops are just glad to be here this year boys.  Now if only I can stay awake long enough for the outcome.  My only hope is that Finny nodds off before setting his line-up.  Double Nyquiltinis on me Fin.

The Old Bastard Bowl.  Penso just FedExed me some spare Vicodin, with the explicit instructions not to take more than two if I have 5 or more NyQuiltinis.  Thanks, Pens, always looking out for a bud!

Great writeup, BTW, Pens.  And don't forget, this year's champ gets an XLIII program signed by Steeler legend Jack Ham, the man whose very name is a delicious pork product.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2009 at 23:54 »

Hey, c'mon man, you're shortchanging me on my analysis.  I'm the favorite and it's all about your Chickens?  What gives?  Brady and Moss, that's all you can talk about?  What about my devastating RB trifecta?  The fact that the late season injury to Turner likely cost me a seeding, but hopefully he'll be back to compliment Jones-Drew and the aged but highly productive Thomas Jones?  And of course, all Favre all the time.

You'll be hearing from my agent.  Your homerism is hurting my endorsement potential.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2009 at 09:52 »

Hey, c'mon man, you're shortchanging me on my analysis.  I'm the favorite and it's all about your Chickens?  What gives?  Brady and Moss, that's all you can talk about?  What about my devastating RB trifecta?  The fact that the late season injury to Turner likely cost me a seeding, but hopefully he'll be back to compliment Jones-Drew and the aged but highly productive Thomas Jones?  And of course, all Favre all the time.

You'll be hearing from my agent.  Your homerism is hurting my endorsement potential.

Mea culpa.

On the bright side, you could use it as bulletin board material.

NOONE RESPECTS US!!!!  ITS THE MONGRELS AGAINST THE WORLD!!!

A shabby Charlie Brown.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2009 at 17:26 »

Let's see, let me try out the no respect card:

No one expected us to make the playoffs! Jones-Drew and Turner were way underrated coming into the season!  Everyone thought Favre was washed up!  Me too so I drafted him late as a backup, but that's beside the point!

Yeah, maybe that will work.

Honestly, good job on the writeup.
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2009 at 17:43 »

In addition, Y2Joyce's crew must be feeling the sting of finishing yet again below the hated arch-rival Chickens.

The regular season matters not, Mr. Pensod Howland-Schottenheimer. It's about winning the big bale of yarn. All the hay in the ball of wax. The whole Letang. So don't count your chickens....ya Chickens. Plus we beat yinzz guys already.

We Dey.

The monkey remains for another year.

Racist.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2009 at 17:52 »

My "Unleash Hell in the Playoffs" stratagem?  I'll be firing my OC shortly.  The one seed/defending champs the lowest scorers?  The 8 seed a scoring buzzsaw, blowing away all others in the league?  As of now, it's looking like KC may triple up on me.

Unless my Eagles receivers combine for 100.

Well played, old man.  Well played.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2009 at 08:03 »

Epic upset!  There will be a new champion this season. 

The Woodleys went limp
General's Chickens got plucked
Future is murky

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2009 at 08:22 »

You know it's bad when Aaron Rodgers, who's been solid all year, putters in under 10 points on the day... and is doubled up by Washington's backup TE, Fred Davis.

I prepared my concession speech at halftime of the 1:00 games.

pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2009 at 10:35 »

You know it's bad when Aaron Rodgers, who's been solid all year, putters in under 10 points on the day... and is doubled up by Washington's backup TE, Fred Davis.

I prepared my concession speech at halftime of the 1:00 games.

Wow.  Never thought I'd see a Finny-coached team mail it in when all they need is 64 points out of the Arizona defense.

Quitters.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2009 at 15:04 »

Well played, old man.  Well played.

Who'da thunk that the vaunted Skins duo of Campbell & Davis could hang 36 points on the board?...Or the wide-out battery to post another 40?...Or 45 outta the RB's?  Ya may want to keep an eye on the sky today Fin.  You stood a better chance of getting struck by lightning than you did of losing to the Cops. 

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2009 at 21:44 »

Wow.  Never thought I'd see a Finny-coached team mail it in when all they need is 64 points out of the Arizona defense.

The way this game's going at halftime, if he had the Niners D he might have had a shot.  5 turnovers in a half?  Yeesh.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2009 at 09:01 »

The way this game's going at halftime, if he had the Niners D he might have had a shot.  5 turnovers in a half?  Yeesh.

Had the Niners D.

Started the Cards D.

Just the way my playoffs went...

pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2009 at 15:33 »

s]twice once with the upstart Cops taking on the surprisingreal championshipsurprisingreal championship

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2009 at 17:56 »

I'd love to read all that, but it's kinda like reading an in-depth analysis of the playoffs that the Steelers are not part of.  [*Snif*]

pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2009 at 21:39 »

I'd love to read all that, but it's kinda like reading an in-depth analysis of the playoffs that the Steelers are not part of.  [*Snif*]

How did you know?

A shabby Charlie Brown.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2009 at 08:36 »

Nicely done, though from a coach/Gm standpoint I was hoping for some more bulletin board material.

One game at a time, boys.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2009 at 09:58 »

Nicely done, though from a coach/Gm standpoint I was hoping for some more bulletin board material.

One game at a time, boys.

KC told me last week, he was going to go big virgil on the mongrels.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2009 at 11:13 »

The title to this thread is funny if read with an Andres Cantor, rolling "r's" voice.

"Spec-tac-ularrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Dec 21, 2009 at 11:01 »

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #22 on: Dec 21, 2009 at 12:11 »

Holy crap!  The Keystone Cops are making a run at the champeenship from the 8th spot! Looks like the age-old showdown of good vs evil is in the offing for next week.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Dec 21, 2009 at 17:48 »

msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Dec 21, 2009 at 22:44 »

Damn I hate this game.  Went into tonight thinking I had no chance.  Turned on the game just for curiosity and the Giants are absolutely crushing the Skins.  Bradshaw going nuts, Tynes getting points.  Keystone's QB/TE tandem have a combined 0.80 points at halftime and Campbell is apparently injured.  I've come from nowhere to only about 7 points back.  So of course now I'm interested.

Second half, Campbell comes back, Giants D relaxes, he starts moving the offense.  TD Campbell to TE, game over.

Raise my hopes just to dash them again.

Grats Keystone.

Time for yet another offseason overhaul. 
Spen

« Reply #25 on: Dec 22, 2009 at 00:40 »

I was a victim of really picking the wrong starters all year. I blame Yahoo (Dont worry, Boldin will play!) on some but I have to admit my gut was wrong on a lot.

Keepers for Spen:  Joe Flacco (*snicker*)

Doubtful, but looking at my roster I dont see anyone that looks great. If the Ravens can get a true #1 WR, I might ponder it.......then again in this league he may last a few rounds no matter what.

IMO if there is a keeper on the Ravens its Ray Rice.
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2009 at 00:44 by Spen » Logged
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #26 on: Dec 22, 2009 at 08:39 »

Did anyone see this ad in the game?  Poor ol' chickens.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Dec 22, 2009 at 11:38 »

I was a victim of really picking the wrong starters all year. I blame Yahoo (Dont worry, Boldin will play!) on some but I have to admit my gut was wrong on a lot.

Keepers for Spen:  Joe Flacco (*snicker*)

Doubtful, but looking at my roster I dont see anyone that looks great. If the Ravens can get a true #1 WR, I might ponder it.......then again in this league he may last a few rounds no matter what.

IMO if there is a keeper on the Ravens its Ray Rice.

No doubt, but joyce has him.

*bigeaster*

A shabby Charlie Brown.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Dec 22, 2009 at 12:24 »

This weekend sees the grandpapa of 'em all as the #1 DrunkDrivingKillers take on the eighth-seeded KeystoneCops of KC.  A first-time MGS champion is sure to be crowned; KC catches another break with Cribbs and the Brownies hosting Oakland, while Jamaal Charles has a marginally unfavorable matchup at Cincy.  The DDK's hope that the Colts do not rest Manning and Wayne, and Ced Benson gets it going versus KC (and versus KC). Meanwhile, the Danny Amendola watch stays alive one more week.

The consolation round matches pit MGS also-rans the Sportin' Woodleys versus the PlexyGunners of Y2Joyce (From the "where are they now" file.  A blast from the past!), who battle for the prize of picking after the Chickens of General Gao and/or Spen's Angry Reds.  The elimination of MSDMNR's Mongrels brings the shelving of FF supastahs MJD, Austin Collie and Joanie Knox while Vinman's Pure Steel II exits and takes Drew Brees with him. 

Smart money says the DDKs, the regular season points leader, walks off with the Jack Ham autographed Super Bowl program. 

A shabby Charlie Brown.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Dec 22, 2009 at 23:42 »

Maybe get it together enough for my third top 3 finish in four years.  Nothing like multiple late round kicks to the Ubuntu...
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #30 on: Dec 24, 2009 at 06:34 »

Great write-ups Penso...awesome read even though I'm late to the party. I just couldn't bring myself to come back to the site after the two debacles with the Raiders and Browns.

This weekend sees the grandpapa of 'em all as the #1 DrunkDrivingKillers take on the eighth-seeded KeystoneCops of KC.  A first-time MGS champion is sure to be crowned; KC catches another break with Cribbs and the Brownies hosting Oakland, while Jamaal Charles has a marginally unfavorable matchup at Cincy.  The DDK's hope that the Colts do not rest Manning and Wayne, and Ced Benson gets it going versus KC (and versus KC). Meanwhile, the Danny Amendola watch stays alive one more week.

One thing though...I won back in 2005 with Kluisi Kroakers. Unless of course you're saying that KC is sure to win.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #31 on: Dec 24, 2009 at 13:58 »

One thing though...I won back in 2005 with Kluisi Kroakers. Unless of course you're saying that KC is sure to win.

Oh, that's my bad.  You see, everything I learned from football progonostication I picked up from PFT...

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #32 on: Dec 28, 2009 at 09:57 »

Wow. KC has pulled it off, a run to the championship reminiscent of SB 40 - from entering the playoffs with a losing record to winning the championship with the Minny defense in reserve.  Congrats!

I mean, it's practically a done deal unless the Vikes give up 147 pts tonight.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: Dec 29, 2009 at 09:44 »

Wow defensive struggle in championship game.  Keystone wins with total that was less than any other playoff team - except the one he actually played.

Great run - timing is everything.

Gratz Keystone!

smiley_towel cheer
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #34 on: Dec 29, 2009 at 12:08 »

- timing is everything.
 smiley_towel cheer

Ain't that the truth brother.   I left some points on the bench, starting Campbell over Ryan.  I'm just glad that didn't come back to bite me in the ass.  Good season all, thanks for lettin' the old dude slip a knuckleball past ya.  So, THIS is what it looks like from the top of the pile...

msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: Dec 29, 2009 at 12:26 »

So, THIS is what it looks like from the top of the pile...

Don't be so gracious.  When you say that you should add this in:

04-kneelsucka
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #36 on: Jan 11, 2010 at 11:54 »

Nice work Keystone. Enjoy the signed SB program. F-ing Indy F'ed me in RL football and in Fantasy this year. I saw the Campbell over Ryan choice and I thought that might give me an edge, but I couldn't take advantage with two dead guys as my QB and number 1 WR.

Good thing they prepared for this game just like any other game like they said they were going to do all week. I mean it's perfectly normal for them to get up by 5 points and then pull Manning and Wayne right. I'm not bitter though. Wink

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #37 on: Jan 11, 2010 at 12:08 »

The Ham is on the way.  I was down for a while with a nasty bug and was too pathetic to get it out to ya.

pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #38 on: Jan 11, 2010 at 12:59 »

Hey, anybody notice who won the pick'em league this year?

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #39 on: Jan 11, 2010 at 13:12 »

That's the red-headed step-chile of fantasy.  Instead of a SB program autographed by Jack Ham, the winner gets a tin of canned ham from the Czech Republic.

pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #40 on: Jan 11, 2010 at 13:55 »

That's the red-headed step-chile of fantasy.  Instead of a SB program autographed by Jack Ham, the winner gets a tin of canned ham from the Czech Republic.

Whereas everyone else gets sour grapes?

A shabby Charlie Brown.
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #41 on: Jan 12, 2010 at 22:22 »

The Ham is on the way.  I was down for a while with a nasty bug and was too pathetic to get it out to ya.

Got 'er today Big Boy.  Good stuff.  Now I gotta figure out something to offer up for next year's champ.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #42 on: Jan 13, 2010 at 08:19 »

It's been the dinosaur act these past two years. 

Maybe you should consider a case of Ensure...

Got 'er today Big Boy.  Good stuff.  Now I gotta figure out something to offer up for next year's champ.

Pages: 1 2 ... 5 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: