Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 21, 2014 at 08:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arians  (Read 727 times)
RoundTripperKipper
N00b

« on: Dec 11, 2009 at 10:43 »

I am officially done with this guy as OC. How in the world do the steelers not adjust a game plan to the elements. The wind was 25-42 mph and the steelers ran 20 yard routes all night. Was the wind a surprise? Any moron with interweb can find out weather.

We often complain about the o-line and Ben taking sacks, but all these routes are way too deep (that's what she said). They take too long to develop. It is very rare that we have a back release late out of the back field. Mendy did it a couple of times last night. Dropped one and had a nice gain on another. Heath did it too.

I realize Ben is a gunslinger and you live and die by that play, but throwing it away is something he needs to develop. he is getting better at checking down, but he has got to learn to throw it way when the steelers are in FG range or possible 4-down areas on the field.

The last time I saw the D tackle that bad was when Fred Taylor gashed them for 200+. Just atrocious across the board. No one is exempt.

Very disappointed by the effort last night. Cleveland obviously wanted it more.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2009 at 13:22 »

I am officially done with this guy as OC.

Took this long?  I've been done with him since 2007.

I'm sitting in the recliner last night calling the play and the direction of the play based on personnel and formation.  I'm guessing that even the most inept defense can pretty much do the same thing after watching 17 minutes of game film.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2009 at 16:46 »

6 points v. the Browns?  Epic.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2009 at 17:42 »

he is getting better at checking down, but he has got to learn to throw it way when the steelers are in FG range or possible 4-down areas on the field.

The sack on that last drive was a killer and unacceptable.  Gunslinger yeah, but at some point you have to know situation.  6 minutes left on our season.  We're actually driving.  He absolutely cannot take that sack.  Then on 4th I thought he left the pocket too early.  Only a 3 man rush and no pressure.
Gnutella
YO!
N00b

Pittsburgh: Super Bowl capital of the world!

« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2009 at 17:44 »

Just think, if the Browns and their dead-fucking-last-ranked defense could make Bruce Arians look like an imbecile, just wait until Dom Capers and the top-ranked defense get their hands on his gameplan. The Browns wiped their asses with Arians' gameplan, and the Packers will jizz all over it. I've already congratulated a few Packer fans in advance for the win. A blindfolded Dom Capers could outscheme our shit-for-brains offensive coordinator. Fuck Bruce Arians and all his loved ones. I want Ken Anderson to be our offensive coordinator in 2010. At least he's taught Ben how to be more patient.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2009 at 14:20 »

Just think, if the Browns and their dead-fucking-last-ranked defense could make Bruce Arians look like an imbecile, just wait until Dom Capers and the top-ranked defense get their hands on his gameplan. 

I want Ken Anderson to be our offensive coordinator in 2010. At least he's taught Ben how to be more patient.

I think for the rest of the year, they should go with a Dancing with the Stars approach to offensive gameplanning.  Get rid of BA and give a half dozen or so fans access to the playbook/practices, then using a voting system from those fans, let them select the plays they prefer (i.e. most popular). 

Honestly, it's this kinda ineptness that makes me think (every once in awhile) that the league is rigged.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2009 at 08:40 »

I want Ken Anderson to be our offensive coordinator in 2010. At least he's taught Ben how to be more patient.

Not calling you out here or anything, but I'm curious as to why you think Ken Anderson would be a good choice as a replacement. Personally, I think if we promote from within we are going to see the same bullshit pass-happy philosophy.

Ben can sling it with the best of them, but I still think his true strength is play action and roll-outs and making throws on the move. That's why I want a complete change in philosophy that focuses on the run and play-action. I want a fullback and I want Mendenhall getting 25+ carries a game.

Maybe Ken Anderson makes those changes. Maybe not.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2009 at 09:09 »

Not sure if patience is a virtue in this case.  Yes, it's great to see Ben hang in there and complete the 20 yarders.  But there's a lot of situations where he's TOO patient.  He needs to know that sometimes a 5 yard completion is OK, certainly better than a sack.

Another possible Arians/offense thing.  Was just thinking this as I wrote; is it just me, or is Ben staying in the pocket a LOT more than he used to?  In his early years he extended plays by shaking off a tackler and rolling out, which led to coverage breakdowns.  Now is seems he shakes off the tackler and stays in the pocket.  This doesn't help for a couple reasons.  First, if one guy's on you the others aren't far behind; move to avoid the pressure.  Second, the DBs set up coverage with the idea the ball is coming from the pocket.  Rolling out changes the angles so lanes open up.

I don't know if Ben moved in his early years because it was instinctual, and now as a veteran he wants to stand in to complete the play; or if it is a coaching philosophy that has taken away his creativity.  I do remember his insane passer rating after contact.  I don't know the numbers, but I'm guessing it's not triple digits any more.

I think overall Ben is a better QB now than when he was a rookie.  Just wish he'd go back to what was so successful a little more often.

So yes, he's more patient.  But I'm not convinced that's always a good thing.  Good in the sense that he doesn't force the ball in as much.  Bad in that he waits too long for the play to develop.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2009 at 09:35 »

Ken Anderson sucked balls as a Bengals OC.  Of course, Dick LeBeau sucked as their HC, so that may not be the best measure of a coach.  Still, I did hear that the FO is high on WR coach Randy Fichtner, who has some Tomlin connections that go back to Arkansas St., and who was OC collegiately.  I'll submit him as our insider-dark horse candidate.

You know, even though Arians is rumored to be getting the ax, I'd still like him to take a ride on Chris Henry's woman's truck just to make sure.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2009 at 10:38 »

Think Mark Whipple might want to move back into the pro game?

Oh, wait, I have it:  CHARM GAITY!  CHARM GAITY IZ DA MAN!!!  IFS HE DONT GOEZ 2 DALAZ KRODEL SEWARD IZ STIL HOUR CORDERBAK!!

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: