Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 29, 2014 at 04:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wishful thinking? Or real change ahead?  (Read 678 times)
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« on: Dec 13, 2009 at 13:19 »

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4738788

Losing the ST coach is a no brainer, but nice to see BA tossed in there. Time to clean house and get a real OC.
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2009 at 15:51 »

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4738788

Losing the ST coach is a no brainer, but nice to see BA tossed in there. Time to clean house and get a real OC.

If this friggin' season means we get real change, especially at OC, ST and OL, then the suffering would have been somewhat worth it.
Somewhat.

Although I'm not sure who's paying for the liver transplant...

I'm still the one with the boobs.
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2009 at 23:03 »

It is a little bit reassuring to know that someone other than the fine folks on this board think Arians shouldn't be employed.

I swear, every single televised game it seems the announcing crew go out of their way to heap praise on Arians.  It's as if they've never actually seen a Steelers game before.

As an avid Tomlin supporter since Day 1, I'll be the first to admit extreme disappointment if he doesn't clean house this off-season.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2009 at 07:20 »

Although I'm not sure who's paying for the liver transplant...

clap  I'm going to need one of those myself.  That bourbon will get to ya, LC.

I do not know what it is going to take to get this team back on track, but it is obvious that they have lost all confidence and have no faith whatsoever in the game plan or the coaching staff.  To play like they did on Thursday night, against an inept group of buffoons, with the season on the line, is absolutely inexcusable.  We curled up like a steaming mound underneath a squatting dog.  Pulled a Michael Spinks vs. Mike Tyson, and cowered in the corner, covering up, while the opponent tossed haymakers at our head.  Only difference is that we should have been Tyson, and we turned into Spinks.

I'm still hearing a murmur or two about "playoffs."  Playoffs?  PLAYOFFS?  Are you kidding me?  Even if we somehow, miraculously, beat the last three very tough teams on our schedule when we couldn't get one win against the worst teams in the league, and get into the playoffs, where could we expect to go?  Is there any indication that we could ever put together a run like we have in the past?  If we pulled it off, I'd be right there as always...but we don't deserve to make the playoffs.  We have not done anything to prove we are worthy.

The bitch of it all is that, if we could have won three out of the four games against the league worst (Cle, Oak, KC, Chi) then we could be virtually tied for the division lead.  That is absolutely inexcusable. 

One oddity of the season, as opposed to last year, is that we haven't had the ball last every time we were in a close game.  I still believe that Ben would have won a couple of these had he been the guy with the last chance.  As it is, the defense has been charged with holding the lead; or Arians has stepped in to "manage" the last few minutes rather than putting it in Ben's capable grasp.  He even put us in position to win the KC game by laying his head on the turf, and Arians pissed it away once again.  Not to mention the ongoing debacles on STs that probably would have given us wins in at least three more games.

I have not lost faith in Tomlin and still believe he is the correct choice to lead this team.  But he is running the risk of losing his players if he does not make some changes and get the right people as his understudies.  They clearly have no desire to play for the dingleberry crew that is currently calling the shots.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2009 at 15:17 »

If they fire Zierlein, who's gonna be the go-to guy for cool e-mail strings?

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2009 at 08:56 »

I can't even believe the cat is officially out of the bag with Arians.  Talk about hitting the jackpot at Christmas!!!!!!

I figured that in Rooney-esque fashion, firing an offensive coodinator after coming off a superbowl win, wouldn't happend for another 2 or 3 years.  Kind of like the Rooney's extending Cowher when everyone was screaming for him to be fired.

I just can't believe someone in the media finally said it.  What a gift.  Hopefully the gift will be delivered n January.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2009 at 09:13 »

I know it's not the Steeler way, but I would have loved to have seen Arians fired on Friday morning.  Tomlin comes out for the announcement and says "6 points and 8 sacks against a team like that when we're fighting to make the playoffs is not good enough."  End of story.

That would light a fire under some people.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: