Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 24, 2014 at 19:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: With the 18th Pick in the 2010 NFL draft  (Read 984 times)
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« on: Jan 04, 2010 at 10:54 »

The Pittsburgh Steelers select...

According to NFL.com we have the 18th pick.

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2010 at 11:10 »

Mount Cody, Taylor Mays, Huh???

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2010 at 12:57 »

Cody wouldn't be terrible if we lose Hampton, but IMO we're gonna sign him, so we won't be looking for any more d-linemen this year. And I'm not the biggest Mays fan out there. Assuming Joe Haden is gone, the guy who could realistically be there that I'd want is Rolando McClain. Let him sit behind Farrior for a year, then have him take over in 2011. Then, in the second round, go for a RG like Iupati or a RT you could convert to RG. Unfortunately, I don't like any of the centers coming out this year, so there's no Alex Mack to drool over this year.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2010 at 15:57 »

I guess it depends on what happens with Colon, but if he's signed, I don't see the Steelers taking OL early.

Foster can be a swing guy and the Steelers seem to still believe in Hills (I don't know why).  Urbik sat all year but at least has a frame for a swing guy.

Throw in Legursky, Stapleton and Shipley for OC (and for the first two, possibly OG) and it's a crowded bunch.  Not a quality bunch but crowded.

I don't pay as much attention to college FB anymore but McClain would be nice.  Farrior has really fallen off...or with Troy back there, Farrior didn't have to cover as much ground.  Timmons, although in his first year as a starter, tackles poorly.  Splash player.

I don't know what they'll do with Hampton.  He does well at what he do.  He's on the wrong side of 30 and will hold out if he is tagged.  Cody is a monster. 

The need is there for an early CB.  I don't like the quality.  A Revis-type doesn't appear to be there at #20. 

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2010 at 21:16 »

Eric Berry?

Will he be there that late, and can he play free while backing up Troy at strong?

Safety surely is not as big a need as corner, but improving the secondary in some capacity is essential.

I'm also an advocate of improving the offensive line, but I think we're going to stick with what we have.  Granted, they are not a terrible, but they're not great.  I still believe that getting them back to greatness is a key to this team's future.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 08:24 »

Thought about it some more, and I think we need to go after a shut down corner. Sign Casey and Clark and draft a shut down corner for next year, and we're right back as one of the best 3 or 4 teams in the NFL, and in the fight for a Super Bowl.

Assume Troy will be back near 100% next year, and the same with Smith. You have to assume that, because there are too many other positions that need to be adressed right now for us to give high priority to their 'replacements'. If you assume that, then add a re-signed Hampton and Clark, you're looking at a line of what will probably end up being Smith, Hampton and Hood, linebackers being Woodley, Farrior, Timmons, and Harrison, Troy and Clark at safety and Ike to take the #2 receiver, if you're lucky enough to land a good cover corner in the draft (might mean giving up a 3rd to move up 5-7 spots in the draft to get him, assuming draft gurus are right about Haden for Fla).

On the offensive side, you re-sign Colon, and either sign a free agent like Logan Mankins or draft a guard in the second to compete with Essex, Stapleton, Urbik, Foster for the RG spot. If you sign a free agent guard, then you use the second round pick on a center, or vice versa and you get a short yardage back either in free agency or in the draft, and IMO you have enough offense to win.

That leaves you weak/vulnerable at center, ILB, backup safety, backup TE, backup OLB, and I think you can win with that. Having Troy back would help out Farrior in certain situations where he's asked to cover the RB out of the backfield, and having Smith back would help stop the run to that side. Hood is clearly gonna be a better pass rusher than Keisel was, so you improve the pass rush, and a good corner gives that pass rush more time to get to the QB. A good corner also makes us deeper at corner, particularly if Burnette or Lewis pans out, so you become better against the three and four wides.

An upgrade at RG, and another year for Mendenhall and Wallace to learn the offense, and someone to at least push and hopefully win the job at center (I actually think the center spot is worse than the RG spot, but I'm not seeing any good options at center right now in the draft or free agency) and I think the offense improves to where they put up around 400 points next year.

Sound about right?

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 08:59 »

Sound about right?

It does, I like it.  Surely they can squeeze another year outta Big Snack (among other things) and Polamalu should be well rested if nothing else.  If Smith comes back in his usual form then the line should be OK for the season. 

But I agree, CB is of primary concern.  The offense has all the skill players they need so the big uglies should be addressed, for sure.  If they can hit on a safety late, that would be terrific.  They're due.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 15:47 »

Eric Berry?
Safety surely is not as big a need as corner, but improving the secondary in some capacity is essential.

Yeah, Berry can replace Carter until he is ready to start.

That way, we can move Carter to CB to replace Gay.  headbang

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: