Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 01, 2014 at 15:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a new OS? Try Ubuntu.  (Read 430 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« on: Dec 18, 2009 at 08:06 »

So, I have this older laptop and heard about this hot version of Linux that's supposed to be so easy to install and use.  It's true, even if you aren't a super geek (and I'm not) you can install Ubuntu Linux.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

First, you download an .iso file (almost 700 MB) and burn that as an image to a cd.  Then you boot from that cd on the machine where you want to install.  Then answer the prompts and pretty soon you're rocking Ubuntu.  It even recognized the external monitor that was connected (laptop's screen is unusable) and the wireless worked right off after entering the WEP key!  When I checked it the next day, Ubuntu had downloaded updates and waited only for my click to proceed.  Did I mention the free anti-virus software available in the online repository?

Totally free and has all the software necessary for the typical home user.  Honestly, unless you're a gamer, I can't think of a single thing the typical user would miss.

Also installed it on a really old desktop (30 GB HDD, 256K RAM, stone-age Pentium) and it worked, but it's slow.  However it's snappy on the laptop which is old enough to have been running XP.

So there you go.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2009 at 20:49 »

It's true, even if you aren't a super geek (and I'm not) you can install Ubuntu Linux.

Well.  I never thought it would come to the denial stage.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: