Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 18, 2014 at 11:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WTF?  (Read 2189 times)
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2009 at 09:45 »

A couple R3-R4 guys I like are Micah Johnson (KY) and Pat Angerer (Iowa).

Having watched Micah in person for the past 3 years, he's a beast.
And a quality guy.  He would be an asset to the Steelers, and I'd love to see a Kentucky kid in black and gold.

I'm still the one with the boobs.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2009 at 10:29 »

In spite of the fact that Finny has transitioned us to a more forward-thinking direction, let me put in my .02 on the past:

It was absolutely, positively the right call to go for the onside at that point.  I was yelling at the announcers for yelling at Tomlin about the call. 

Ask yourself:  If we can't stop Oakland, KC, Cleveland, Chicago, Cincy, or Baltimore in the fourth quarter, what makes you think we're going to stop one of the hottest QBs in the league?  He was absolutely lighting up our secondary, and we had given no indication that we had any chance to stop him.  DL was afraid to blitz him when he was in empty set because he knows we can't cover.  The Packers were going to score.  The only question was:  Could we give ourselves enough time to match them.

3 possible results from the onside, and all of them are good:

1.  We get the ball.  Whose hands would you rather place the game in right now, the offense or the defense?

2.  We don't get the ball, but hold GB to a field goal try.  Their kicker sucks, so we'll take our chances.

3.  They get the ball and score a td, but we have time to drive it for the win.

Tell me, why would any of those be so bad?

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2009 at 10:46 »

Tomlin is calling out the D bigger than life here and one would think they woud become motivated. 

My thoughts exactly.  I don't think you can possibly send a stronger message to your defense than onside kicking in that situation.  May as well rent a plane to fly over the stadium with a banner saying "I DON"T WANT MY DEFENSE ON THE FIELD WITH THE GAME ON THE LINE.  THEY HAVE BLOWN IT EVERY CHANCE THEY GET.  THE SEASON IS IN JEOPARDY AND I TRUST MY SPECIAL TEAMS TO MAKE A PLAY MORE THAN MY D, WHICH IS SAYING SOMETHING BECAUSE SPECIAL TEAMS SUCK TOO.  BUT EITHER WAY I TRUST MY OFFENSE TO BAIL US OUT OF THIS MESS."

OK, that would be a pretty long banner, but you get the idea.
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2009 at 11:14 »

sorry guys, I still disagree.  I think regardless you give the Pack a long field to score.  I know our D wasn't doing shit but I still think you give them a chance to stop them in our end of the field.  We're lucky that GB didn't just run the ball and score with a second or two left. 

I do agree with the why have Ike "hands of stone" responsible to grab that ball?  the ball could've run another 5 yards easily before anyone would get to it.  I was livid.  Even Sweed probably would've been able to wait and grab that sucker.

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2009 at 11:20 »

sorry guys, I still disagree.  I think regardless you give the Pack a long field to score.

It's not like we passed on a punt. We weren't going to pin them at the 5 or 10 on a KO. Pretty safe to say they would have had it at the 35 at the very least...unless a flag shows up.

The Packers scored on probably 2 or 3 fewer plays, than if we kick off. That would have cost us the 2MW stoppage, and we only had 1 TO left.

There was so much luck in the final minutes. I thought the Pack would end of kicking a FG with only seconds left. We were actually lucky they scored so early. Not to mention Wallace's drop inside the 5, which may have ended the game right there.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2009 at 11:26 »

sorry guys, I still disagree.  I think regardless you give the Pack a long field to score.  I know our D wasn't doing shit but I still think you give them a chance to stop them in our end of the field.

I agree that is the percentage play.  I don't think had they kicked away anyone would have been asking afterwards why not an onside kick.  Would have made it easier for him afterwards.  You kick off, you trust your defense, they dont deliver - what can you do?  And I wasn't exactly calling for the onside kick - it surprised me also.

However, Tomlin had seen enough.  As I mentioned in another thread, we've blown a ton of 4th quarter leads.   Would have been eight at that point.  Tomlin's trying to win.  He's trusted his defense over and over and they failed to deliver - not just once, but on a consistent basis.  He's fully aware of the fact that he'd get crushed in the press if it doesn't work.  But he went for it anyway.  He may have flaws, but at least he's willing to make the gutsy call that can be criticized.  Go on 4th down, go for 7 instead of 3, stuff like that.

I like the call, liked it as soon as it happened.  Would have supported it even if they didn't come back and win.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2009 at 12:11 »

I like the call, liked it as soon as it happened.  Would have supported it even if they didn't come back and win.

Couldn't agree more.

sorry guys, I still disagree.  I think regardless you give the Pack a long field to score.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.  Tomlin has some serious brass ones to have pulled that stunt, and I'm glad he did.  Desperate times call for desperate measures, and he did what he believed that he had to do to win the game in spite of the heat he was going to take for it.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2009 at 22:42 »

I think it was an insane in-game decision.  Why put the Pack basically in FG range without barely needing to move the ball?

That being said, I absolutely love the move if for no other reason than the message he is sending the D.  These guys think they can get by on last year's reputation without actually having to make plays.  They are the weak link on this team right now and Tomlin called them out.  The D had to have been humbled by that call and I would hope that they play the rest of this season out to prove Tomlin made the wrong call not believing in them. 

And of course, Ike had to pick that time to actually catch a football that hits him in the chest.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Spen

« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2009 at 00:46 »

I think the onside kick was a stupid call and I also think the 2 pt conversion attempt was stupid.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2009 at 03:09 »

Good call, and the right one. He was trying to win the game, and I can respect that.

Effing Ike. You can see Carey Davis is right next to Ike, and totally stops and looks around as if the play is over knowing that Ike fucked up.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: