Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 21, 2014 at 02:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should we have kept Larry Foote?  (Read 938 times)
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 10:11 »

Is there a reason the mack LB can't set the defense, if we'd switch Timmons to buck?  

Timmons doesn't play the run and take on tacklers well enough to play the buck IMO. He may learn to eventually, but right now, I'd rather move him to Harrison's spot when Harrison runs out of gas and have him chase the QB or keep him where he is than move him to buck. We need a Levon Kikland (before the extra 50 pounds) at buck. If we can't get a great cover corner in the draft, then I'd love to have Renaldo McClain for that spot, not only because he hits like a truck, but also because he's one loud mutherfucker who likes to scream at teammates to get them fired up just like Ray Ray does, and IMO we are in desperate need of someone like that.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 11:53 »

Is there a reason the mack LB can't set the defense, if we'd switch Timmons to buck?  

Timmons doesn't play the run and take on tacklers well enough to play the buck IMO. He may learn to eventually, but right now, I'd rather move him to Harrison's spot when Harrison runs out of gas and have him chase the QB or keep him where he is than move him to buck. We need a Levon Kikland (before the extra 50 pounds) at buck. If we can't get a great cover corner in the draft, then I'd love to have Renaldo McClain for that spot, not only because he hits like a truck, but also because he's one loud mutherfucker who likes to scream at teammates to get them fired up just like Ray Ray does, and IMO we are in desperate need of someone like that.

+1.

Although, I'd be pretty surprised if McClain made it out of the top 10.  Trade up, maybe?

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 12:32 »

+1.

Although, I'd be pretty surprised if McClain made it out of the top 10.  Trade up, maybe?

Not sure what that would entail, but I would assume that anything more than about 5-6 spots would be too pricey.  Just going off intuition, if McClain falls past 11, time to start making some calls.  And frankly, ILBs do tend to get a little under-valued in the draft:  IIRC, the only top-10 ILB of the last 10 years would be one Brian Urrrrrlacher, with Patrick Willis getting notable mention at 1.11.  Off that, and with the first round confused and conflated with some juniors and the odd workout warrior or two (can count on Undead Al to take a R2 or R3 talent at his spot), McClain could conceivably fall to 1.12 or 13.  I still think Denver will snap him up (via Chicago's draft spot from the Cuntler trade).

But if we moved up for McClain, he'd be one of two guys I would see that as being a good move for (Haden the other).

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 12:54 »

Hawk and Sims too, I think.  Greenway went pretty high too.  Don't think it was top 10 though.

McClain isn't your proto ILB though.  IMO, he could play pretty much any spot, inside or out.  He's one of the main reasons why I'm going to do my damnedest to watch the game tomorrow night.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 13:18 »

He's one of the main reasons why I'm going to do my damnedest to watch the game tomorrow night.

Word is, he's sick as a dog...the flu or something.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 13:40 »

Hawk and Sims too, I think.  Greenway went pretty high too.  Don't think it was top 10 though.

McClain isn't your proto ILB though.  IMO, he could play pretty much any spot, inside or out.  He's one of the main reasons why I'm going to do my damnedest to watch the game tomorrow night.

Sims is an OLB, but you are correct on Hawk: 1.5.  Greenway went 1.17.

That ILB-OLB flexibility makes McClain seem like the LB Tomlin thought he was getting in Timmons, but didn't.  Oh well.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: