Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 23, 2014 at 01:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Assuming Arrians has been fired (per ken Laird) who do you want?  (Read 2203 times)
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« on: Jan 05, 2010 at 14:24 »

I still haven't seen it confirmed, but Laird hasn't been wrong in the past, so I'll assume Arrians is gone. Who is out there that would have a good mix of run and pass, and who would find himself a real line coach and find a way to protect the franchise and punch it in from the red zone?

The names I've heard so far:
Chan Gailey
Charlie Weis
Al Saunders

(all improbable IMO)

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 14:25 »

http://kdka.com/steelers/bruce.arians.fired.2.1406516.html

KDKA is reporting as well...

I like Gailey, always have. Kordell had his best seasons under Chan and he seems like a guy who would adjust the offense to the personel and not vice versa.

I'd accept Charlie Weis as well. Watched a good bit of ND football this year and their offense definitely wasn't the problem.
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2010 at 14:28 by Merman1983 » Logged
jcharding
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 14:26 »

http://kdka.com/steelers/bruce.arians.fired.2.1406516.html

I don't need no stinking avatar!
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 14:33 »

Brian Billick's name was just mentioned as a possibility for the Buffalo HC job as well as the Bear's OC job, so I guess he's a possibility, altough, I think he's too far in the enemy camp, being a former Raven.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 14:43 »

Weiss, Martz!?  Are y'all kidding me?  Of all those mentioned, Gailey would be the only one I'd want.  But I think it's time for some young blood so I'm guessing it's somebody we've never heard of or the WR coach Finny mentioned.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 14:53 »

Weiss, Martz!?  Are y'all kidding me?  Of all those mentioned, Gailey would be the only one I'd want.  But I think it's time for some young blood so I'm guessing it's somebody we've never heard of or the WR coach Finny mentioned.

I don't know if a no-name would work in this case. It's gotta be someone Ben is gonna respect, because IMO he's hard headed. If we get some guy with no resume, I can see the vets running over him. Also, it's gotta be someone Tomlin would trust. Gruden would be perfect if he wasn't so insistant on a HC job and didn't have the ESPN contract thing. Of course, then Tomlin would always be looking over his shoulder.

jcharding
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 15:02 »

Tomlin was a no name with a pretty small resume, and he faced the same problems.

I don't need no stinking avatar!
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 15:12 »

Tomlin was a no name with a pretty small resume, and he faced the same problems.

I know what you're saying, but I don't expect the Steelers to throw the position open to competition like they would for a HC job. It's gotta be someone Tomlin is comfortable with, probably someone he worked with when he was coaching under Dungy or Gruden. I just don't know of any guys who were on those staffs who might be qualified.

Here's a possibility. He doesn't have a history with Tomlin, but he does have one with the Steelers:
http://www.azcardinals.com/team/coaches/mike-miller/4aad07c2-29d2-446e-9e69-024bd27b81e9
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2010 at 15:40 by Steelerdipwad » Logged

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 15:53 »

Here's a possibility. He doesn't have a history with Tomlin, but he does have one with the Steelers:
http://www.azcardinals.com/team/coaches/mike-miller/4aad07c2-29d2-446e-9e69-024bd27b81e9

SING MIKE MILLERKEY!!!!!!!11

A shabby Charlie Brown.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 16:11 »

One reason I like the Arians departure is that it suggests that Ben's sway only goes so far.  Ben is a great football player but as I mentioned elsewhere, I don't expect him to always know what is best for him and/or the team.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: