Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 27, 2014 at 11:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 ... 4 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Assuming Arrians has been fired (per ken Laird) who do you want?  (Read 2228 times)
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« on: Jan 05, 2010 at 14:24 »

I still haven't seen it confirmed, but Laird hasn't been wrong in the past, so I'll assume Arrians is gone. Who is out there that would have a good mix of run and pass, and who would find himself a real line coach and find a way to protect the franchise and punch it in from the red zone?

The names I've heard so far:
Chan Gailey
Charlie Weis
Al Saunders

(all improbable IMO)

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 14:25 »

http://kdka.com/steelers/bruce.arians.fired.2.1406516.html

KDKA is reporting as well...

I like Gailey, always have. Kordell had his best seasons under Chan and he seems like a guy who would adjust the offense to the personel and not vice versa.

I'd accept Charlie Weis as well. Watched a good bit of ND football this year and their offense definitely wasn't the problem.
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2010 at 14:28 by Merman1983 » Logged
jcharding
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 14:26 »

http://kdka.com/steelers/bruce.arians.fired.2.1406516.html

I don't need no stinking avatar!
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 14:33 »

Brian Billick's name was just mentioned as a possibility for the Buffalo HC job as well as the Bear's OC job, so I guess he's a possibility, altough, I think he's too far in the enemy camp, being a former Raven.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 14:43 »

Weiss, Martz!?  Are y'all kidding me?  Of all those mentioned, Gailey would be the only one I'd want.  But I think it's time for some young blood so I'm guessing it's somebody we've never heard of or the WR coach Finny mentioned.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 14:53 »

Weiss, Martz!?  Are y'all kidding me?  Of all those mentioned, Gailey would be the only one I'd want.  But I think it's time for some young blood so I'm guessing it's somebody we've never heard of or the WR coach Finny mentioned.

I don't know if a no-name would work in this case. It's gotta be someone Ben is gonna respect, because IMO he's hard headed. If we get some guy with no resume, I can see the vets running over him. Also, it's gotta be someone Tomlin would trust. Gruden would be perfect if he wasn't so insistant on a HC job and didn't have the ESPN contract thing. Of course, then Tomlin would always be looking over his shoulder.

jcharding

« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 15:02 »

Tomlin was a no name with a pretty small resume, and he faced the same problems.

I don't need no stinking avatar!
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 15:12 »

Tomlin was a no name with a pretty small resume, and he faced the same problems.

I know what you're saying, but I don't expect the Steelers to throw the position open to competition like they would for a HC job. It's gotta be someone Tomlin is comfortable with, probably someone he worked with when he was coaching under Dungy or Gruden. I just don't know of any guys who were on those staffs who might be qualified.

Here's a possibility. He doesn't have a history with Tomlin, but he does have one with the Steelers:
http://www.azcardinals.com/team/coaches/mike-miller/4aad07c2-29d2-446e-9e69-024bd27b81e9
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2010 at 15:40 by Steelerdipwad » Logged

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 15:53 »

Here's a possibility. He doesn't have a history with Tomlin, but he does have one with the Steelers:
http://www.azcardinals.com/team/coaches/mike-miller/4aad07c2-29d2-446e-9e69-024bd27b81e9

SING MIKE MILLERKEY!!!!!!!11

A shabby Charlie Brown.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 16:11 »

One reason I like the Arians departure is that it suggests that Ben's sway only goes so far.  Ben is a great football player but as I mentioned elsewhere, I don't expect him to always know what is best for him and/or the team.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 16:21 »

FYI...do you remember that Chan Gailey was running the offense that refused to stop throwing against Dallas in Super Bowl XXX? When Bam Morris was shredding the Cowboys D late, and they looked really gassed? When we were down by only 3, with the ball near midfield? And even though two -- I think it was Ernie Mills and Andre Hastings -- receivers were out late, due to injury?

Gailey STILL went with a multi-receiver set and Blowdonnel throws to Corey Holiday, who runs the wrong route, and Larry Brown is Super Bowl XXX MVP.

Very Arians-esque. Gailey just didn't have a Ben to bail him out.

Still, Gailey would be an improvement. But he is just too old, and has had some health issues.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 16:35 »

One reason I like the Arians departure is that it suggests that Ben's sway only goes so far.  Ben is a great football player but as I mentioned elsewhere, I don't expect him to always know what is best for him and/or the team.

But Mommy, I want chockwit cake for breakfast!

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 16:40 »

But Mommy, I want chockwit cake for breakfast!

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=201579

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 16:55 »

That is pretty funny.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
bamf16
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 18:10 »

FYI...do you remember that Chan Gailey was running the offense that refused to stop throwing against Dallas in Super Bowl XXX? When Bam Morris was shredding the Cowboys D late, and they looked really gassed? When we were down by only 3, with the ball near midfield? And even though two -- I think it was Ernie Mills and Andre Hastings -- receivers were out late, due to injury?

Gailey STILL went with a multi-receiver set and Blowdonnel throws to Corey Holiday, who runs the wrong route, and Larry Brown is Super Bowl XXX MVP.

Very Arians-esque. Gailey just didn't have a Ben to bail him out.

Still, Gailey would be an improvement. But he is just too old, and has had some health issues.

Wow....now that is some revisionist history!

No one wants to hear about the labor pains, they just want to see the baby.
--Lou Brock
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 18:27 »

I'm not going to celebrate until the Steelers confirm this, that would be too much of a letdown.

You folks are dreaming if you think they'll bring in some random big name guy to run this offense.  It's going to be a promotion from within or someone outside the organization that Tomlin has worked with in the past.  I agree with Finny's long-running theory that it'll be the WR coach.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 21:32 »

iagree

What boot said.

I don't have any interest in Martz or Weiss.  If we do get rid of one arrogant ass--why hire another one?

I'd take Weiss between the two, but I don't think Ben's skill set fits what Weiss would want to do.  One thing's for sure, if Ben's arrogance is a problem, Weiss will have no issue with getting in his grill and telling him who is boss.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 04:50 »

It really is a shame that Norv Turner hasn't fallen on his face this year. He'd have been a great OC.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
vcuram

« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 09:12 »

We should've hired Cam Cameron...or is that the guy from Growing Pains?

Or is that DJ from Full House?

I've thrown a kettle over a pub before.  What the fuck have you ever done?
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 09:24 »

We should've hired Cam Cameron...or is that the guy from Growing Pains?

Or is that DJ from Full House?

Cam Cameron is eagerly awaiting Blondie's Rapture.  Or wait, maybe that was the douche from Growing Pains?

So WTF happens when the Lord theoretically Hoovers half the people off the face of the planet, Cam Cameron?!?  I mean, everyone left behind pretty much knows they're not getting a condo in the marshmallow fluff cloud development.  You think a lot of people are on shrinks' couches now, everyone will be like Where the fuck did I fuck this shit up this badly? and It's mom's fault for not giving me enough hugs and Hey, I'm sorry I fucked that goat... twice...  Plus, after the Hoovering, it's pretty much license for anarchy.  So, Cam Cameron, the Rapture is like the biggest disincentive God could ever devise... And why? WHY?!?  Cuz He wants to watch the leftovers go apeshit?  Is that how your God gets His jollies, Cam Cameron?!?

VaBchSteelersfan

« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 10:51 »

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10006/1026052-87.stm

Ron Cook's take on this issue from todays' Post-Gazette.

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 11:15 »

I just puked up some lunch.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 11:28 »

Fortunately, I haven't eaten yet.  And I'm no longer hungry.

What a tool.

Joetorious

« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 11:40 »

I couldn't believe that crap when I read it. Also, big-time grammatical gaffe when he said "Roethlisberger and I" instead of "Roethlisberger and me."

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 11:47 »

I couldn't believe that crap when I read it. Also, big-time grammatical gaffe when he said "Roethlisberger and I" instead of "Roethlisberger and me."

Nice pickup on that one, jt.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 12:43 »

I'm tellin' ya, AiryYams will not be fired this year.

He's two years removed from when he should've been fired.  Doing it now, after the team won a SB last year (in spite of, not because of...I know, I know...believe me) and setting all sorts of offensive records this year, would be poor timing.

I don't like him at all.  I don't like his inability to adjust.  I think he's predictable.  I think he's inconsistent as hell.  I don't like the amount of "WTF was he thinking with that play?" moments we see each game.  I think he falls in love with stupid shit even if it's obvious to all that it's not working.

He did pretty much scrap the triple (and to an extent, double) TE set thing though, so he's got that going for him.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
VaBchSteelersfan

« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 12:59 »

Ron Cook is an asshole.

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 16:10 »

Cook is stupider (pun intended) that Arians. 

So from 3 years ago the NFL has morphed and Cook has unilaterally and universally determined that running the ball is some sort of foootball placation?  What an idiot.  You think running the ball takes some pressure off your defense and limits the points the other pass happy offenses can score?  What a stupid mf'er.  How about controlling the clock and TOP?  Does he cover Texas Tech too?  Is that what he thinks all teams should be doing.  What a F'ing idiot.

How bout Roethlisberger's 500 yard passing day.  1st 500 yard passer to win the game in close to 20 years.  What's that sayin Cook?

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 17:55 »

Arians staying and only Z being fired (so far) is the equivalent to a Tsk, tsk and a slap on the hand, instead of Gunnery Sgt. Hartman going Full Metal Crazy on they asses.

I think after the KC-Oak-Cleve trifecta that being a tad reactionary might not be a bad thing.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 18:35 »

It's bad when you're so angry that turpentine martinis don't even take the edge off.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #30 on: Jan 06, 2010 at 21:23 »

I can't believe it.  I just absolutely cannot believe it.

I'm going to the corner store for a 2-liter of Mad Dog 20/20.

Pages: 1 2 ... 4 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: