Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 24, 2014 at 02:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lance Zierlein on Larry's firing, the Steelers  (Read 1482 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2010 at 13:56 »

I'm past that frustration.

My current one is realizing how close Darrelle Revis was to being a Steeler.  We should have traded up.

Yeah.  Not saying Timmons is a bust or anything, but... yeah.

Good news is that even with the need to re-stock defense, there should be some decent LT prospects at 1.18, if we're going for value. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2010 at 16:43 »

I can't believe I'm saying this, but...can we afford to draft OL in Rd 1?

If there is value at defense, I don't know that we can take an offensive player there...short of the second coming of Orlando Pace being there, or something.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Jan 09, 2010 at 17:24 »

I can't believe I'm saying this, but...can we afford to draft OL in Rd 1?

If there is value at defense, I don't know that we can take an offensive player there...short of the second coming of Orlando Pace being there, or something.

We can; depends on who's there, obviously. 

Assume McClain and Haden are off; maybe even the NTs, Williams and Cody.  We could get a legit LT in Davis or Bulaga or possibly Campbell, start him at RT, slide Colon to RG, swap the rook with Starks next year, that's a pretty good start to fixing the line... with one draft pick.

Lots of safeties available in R2-3.  May find some decent corners in that range, too.  You can find NTs at various stages of the draft, but it might mean developing a later rounder, so you tag or extend Hamp.  There are some really intriguing DEs, ILBs and OLBs who should be around later (Arthur Moats, OLB, James Madison looks like a Harrison type; Danny Batten, DE, S. Dak. St. fits more in the A. Smith mold).  And we could always do some value hunting for an IOL who can play C and OG late; Notre Dame's C might go R4 or 5, and I think he could be decent.

1. BA LT
2. BA FS
3. BA CB
4. BA ILB
4c. BA COP RB/KR
5. BA DE
6. BA OLB
6c. BA NT
7. BA SS

Or something.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2010 at 11:49 »

I'm past that frustration.

My current one is realizing how close Darrelle Revis was to being a Steeler.  We should have traded up.

hell, not only did we not trade up for Revis, but didn't Tomlin run his yapper about how much he wanted to draft him? I mean, this probably wasn't a state secret or anything, but the Jets traded up to the pick immediately before ours to get him.

I don't think Timmons is a bust, but he's far from an all-pro, and the great corners are rare, obviously.

Even without trading up, we could have drafted LB Jon Beason (25th) or CB Leon Hall (18th).
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2010 at 11:56 by Manimal » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: