Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 22, 2014 at 17:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PG article: A.R. II wants younger players developed faster  (Read 1246 times)
Joetorious
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Jan 18, 2010 at 10:40 »

I thought this was a pretty good article with a lot of quotes from Art Rooney, II on the need for Steelers coaches to develop younger players more quickly and a host of other topics.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10017/1028890-66.stm

While it's hard to question the Steelers model for building and reloading through the draft and seemingly having a never-ending pipeline of youthful players to fill the gap of departed/ing veterans, I would like to see more young players be used - or at least be fully capable of being used - in important situations.

We've got six rings and no other team can boast of that. However, I do like how many other teams use - nay, rely upon - younger players in key positions. (Really the Jets are coming to mind as the posterboy of this with the use of game-ready players likes Revis, Ferguson, Mangold, Sanchez (yes, I know the Steelers used rookie QB Ben Roethlisberger quite well)). Experience is great, but it would also be great to enhance the experience earlier in the career if possible.
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2010 at 12:32 by Joetorious » Logged

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2010 at 16:38 »

Wallace, Mendenhall, Holmes, Woodley, to a lesser extent Timmons and to an even much lesser extent Hood have all made mjor contibutions within their first 2 years in the league.

I think we've had a luxury the last few years of veterans (Troy, Clark, Smith, Farrior, Ward, Harrison) performing at very high levels that's given us he time to develop a project or two.  I guess Art part deux maybe sees the writing on the wall.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2010 at 06:11 »

It also helps when you have high draft picks for a few years in a row.  The only way to accomplish that is to suck for a few years in a row.

Sanchez - 2009 5th overall pick
Revis - 2007 14th overall pick
Ferguson - 2006 4th overall pick

Personally, I'd rather be selecting at the bottom of the first round.  Preferably 32nd.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2010 at 09:30 »

Regardless of how Timmons' career develops, it still sickens me that the Jets jumped ahead of the Steelers and drafted Revis.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2010 at 09:51 »

With more age and injury to the defense, expect to see 1st and 2nd year players getting more starting time. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: