Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 24, 2014 at 10:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving to Pittsburgh (area)  (Read 2223 times)
Joetorious
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Jan 24, 2010 at 19:55 »

Last Friday I found out the wife and I are moving to Pittsburgh (technically, McKeesport/White Oak - we'll be living in my grandparents' vacant house for a year or so; probably move closer to downtown after that). Totally stoked, for obvious reasons. Although I'll miss the warmer climate Richmond offers, I suspect I'll get used to Pittsburgh's colder/more grey weather soon enough (especially having lived in Morgantown for about five years and southern WV my entire life prior to that).

Who on this board lives there? I've frequented the area quite a bit growing up and have made several trips back for games, but it's been a while since I've kicked it in the 'Burgh for non-game-related activities. What are some cool things to do? I've got a baby on the way, so I won't be wildin' out too (too) much.

Also, if you live there, what's the boating/wakeboarding/wakeskating like? It always seems pretty crowded and choppy near the "confluence."

Lastly, I'm looking for a solid gym w/ multiple locations and plenty of classes (the wifey likes those). LA Fitness seems to be the spot - can anyone corroborate?

Thanks in advance. Hopefully I'll catch up with some of you (who are either visiting for games or live there).

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2010 at 09:39 »

Y2Joyce told me last week, he's a big fan of Curves fitness clubs.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Gnutella
YO!
N00b

Pittsburgh: Super Bowl capital of the world!

« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2010 at 07:08 »

If you're looking at neighborhoods in the city, then Squirrel Hill, Regent Square and Greenfield are all pretty good. Squirrel Hill has a solid business district, and both Regent Square and Greenfield are convenient to it, each no more than five minutes away. If you can't find what you're looking for in Squirrel Hill, then The Waterfront is convenient to all three. It's five minutes from Greenfield and 10 minutes from Squirrel Hill via the Homestead Grays Bridge, which leads directly to it. From Regent Square, it's 10 minutes via the Rankin Bridge. Kennywood Park and Sandcastle are also convenient to all three neighborhoods.

If you're looking at the suburbs, then Monroeville and Bethel Park are established middle-class suburbs with shopping malls. Robinson is an emerging middle-class suburb with a mall, and Ross is an emerging upper-middle class suburb with the best mall in western Pennsylvania (Ross Park Mall). Of the four, Ross is the most convenient to Pittsburgh, and Bethel Park is the least convenient. Monroeville and Robinson are both equidistant from the city, and both require passing through tunnels to get to and from the city.

West Mifflin might work, but it's seen better days, and the mall there is dying. It's not especially convenient to the city either. Penn Hills used to be a solid middle-class suburb, but parts of it have become ghetto fabulous in the last 20 years, and all the shopping aside from the essentials has moved to Monroeville.

Cranberry is an affluent area up in Butler County where I-79 and the Pennsylvania Turnpike intersect, but it's pretty far from the city, even with direct highway access. Murrysville is east of Monroeville in Westmoreland County, but it, too, is pretty far away from the city.
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2010 at 07:11 by Gnutella » Logged

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2010 at 13:32 »

I actually loved the White Oak/McKeesport area, especially the White Oak side of town.  Small-town feel but 30 minutes to the big city; or to Greensburg/Westmoreland; or 1 hour to the North Hills/Cranberry; etc.

I miss the 'Burgh.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Joetorious

« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2010 at 10:05 »

Thanks for the info, Gnutella and Preach. For now (at least until November), I'm going to have to live in White Oak (it's rent-free for the time being). After that, we'll probably be more interested in the first set of areas you (Gnutella) mentioned that are closer to the city. Having lived in suburbia hell in Richmond and dealing with the sprawl and lack of uniqueness, I don't want to make that mistake again. Although it's kind of a hippie-ish mantra, I do like areas that focus on developing and supporting local business (rather than chain restaurants and stores), so if any of the towns you mentioned have that kind of vibe, I'd greatly appreciate learning more about it.

As far as Cranberry, I'm familiar with it, as my dad lived there (on one of the Treesdale CC 9-hole courses, ironically just a few doors down from Kevin Colbert) for a few years when he returned to Pittsburgh. That particular neighborhood way too rich for my blood and if I'm going to buy a modest house, I'd definitely rather be closer to the city than those homes in the greater Cranberry/Mars/Gibsonia metropolitan area are.

A buddy of mine lives in Dormont and loves it. I've visited a few times and it definitely has a "local" feel to it. Easy access to the T is a plus as well. Just not sure how great of a place that would be for an infant and later on, a toddler. I'd like a moderately sized yard if possible.

Thanks again to both of you. Very helpful info.

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2010 at 13:44 »

A buddy of mine lives in Dormont and loves it. I've visited a few times and it definitely has a "local" feel to it. Easy access to the T is a plus as well. Just not sure how great of a place that would be for an infant and later on, a toddler. I'd like a moderately sized yard if possible.

Dormont's cool, but I'm not sure it's the best school district in the area, if you're buying and settling down.  And your yard would be small too. 

A shabby Charlie Brown.
VaBchSteelersfan

« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2010 at 13:26 »

Just spent a week in Dormont, very nice area but small yards. If you can swing it, check out Mt. Lebanon in the South Hills. It's close to the Dormont area, has a very good school district. I grew up in Upper St. Clair just past Mt. Lebanon. Pricey but in this market, you could probably find a decent house with a yard at a decent price.
LA Fitness? That gives me shudders because not too long ago some nut case went into the one in Bridgeville and shot up the place, killing some of the members before himself. Not that it will happen again but it still freaks me out.
Bridgeville is also a nice area but to the Southwest of the city and not much access to the T, etc. The Greentree area is also nice and much closer to the city.
Good luck to you in your search!

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
P4P
Hillbilly Deluxe
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2010 at 21:03 »

I actually loved the White Oak/McKeesport area, especially the White Oak side of town.  Small-town feel but 30 minutes to the big city; or to Greensburg/Westmoreland; or 1 hour to the North Hills/Cranberry; etc.

I miss the 'Burgh.

I agree.  White Oak is really nice.  Gotta watch the 'jects in McKeesport.  Bad up by the hospital.  The further away from downtown McKeesport the better.  USC is really nice.  Peters Twp. too.  Taxes will crawl deep in your ass there, so be aware of that.  River is OK for watersports.  (SHUT UP OAT).  I prefer the lake scene.   http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateParks/parks/moraine.aspx   Its up round Butler.  North of Cranberry, but it is a fantastic park if you are into that shit.

Honesty is something you can't wear out.
Waylon Jennings
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2010 at 12:55 »

River is OK for watersports.  (SHUT UP OAT).  I prefer the lake scene.

Who doesn't 'preciate some good motorboatin'?

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2010 at 13:07 »

Just spent a week in Dormont, very nice area but small yards. If you can swing it, check out Mt. Lebanon in the South Hills. It's close to the Dormont area, has a very good school district. I grew up in Upper St. Clair just past Mt. Lebanon. Pricey but in this market, you could probably find a decent house with a yard at a decent price.
LA Fitness? That gives me shudders because not too long ago some nut case went into the one in Bridgeville and shot up the place, killing some of the members before himself. Not that it will happen again but it still freaks me out.
Bridgeville is also a nice area but to the Southwest of the city and not much access to the T, etc. The Greentree area is also nice and much closer to the city.
Good luck to you in your search!

St Clair Alum here...what year did you graduate?

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: