Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 30, 2014 at 16:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: According to NFL.com, Steelers "expect" to re-sign Casey and Clark  (Read 2097 times)
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« on: Jan 27, 2010 at 15:23 »

But let Carter go. I could live with that.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/27/steelers-expected-to-re-sign-dt-hampton-s-clark/

It would make it easier to take the BPA in the draft.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2010 at 16:20 »

Ty Carter sucks

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2010 at 17:10 »

Sounds good to me.  I've had criticisms of both players to some extent this year, but think it would be very difficult to simply part ways and get some FA or rook to fill.  Allows us to go late in the draft for NTs who might be projects, e.g.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2010 at 19:36 »

It's hard to imagine paying Snack the kind of money he wants.  But it's also hard to imagine finding a reasonable replacement for him at any better price. 

Plus, assuming that Colbert has done some homework (and let's hope he has), I'm guessing that they don't see an equivalent NT in the draft that will be available.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Gnutella
YO!
N00b

Pittsburgh: Super Bowl capital of the world!

« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2010 at 21:50 »

I imagine we'll extend Hampton for three more seasons, and draft a NT in 2011.

Joetorious
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2010 at 22:11 »

Hampton's performance last season was very underwhelming, IMO. And for some reason, Chris Hoke's '04 season always makes me think he would be more than capable of being the NT again - and a good one - if necessary. Has Hoke's play deteriorated and I just haven't noticed it, or was he never as good as I thought he was that season?

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2010 at 06:49 »

Hampton's performance last season was very underwhelming, IMO. And for some reason, Chris Hoke's '04 season always makes me think he would be more than capable of being the NT again - and a good one - if necessary. Has Hoke's play deteriorated and I just haven't noticed it, or was he never as good as I thought he was that season?

Hoke is an overachiever.  He doesn't have the speed, quickness, or dominating potential of the big-time interior guys like Hamp, Williams, Wilfork, etc.  But he works/plays his arse off (as he did in '04) and just gets the job done.  As good as Hampton CAN be?  No.  But he is still a very good and undervalued player.

My frustration with your point is this:  Why do we not see Hoke more often?  Either at NT or DT, because he could play both, IMO.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2010 at 07:19 »

I dunno, the times I've seen Hokie in rotation since 2004, he's been OK, nothing special.  Was that just a magic year?  Overachiever seems right.

Three-year deal, draft a NT now to start next year?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2010 at 13:33 »

I dunno, the times I've seen Hokie in rotation since 2004, he's been OK, nothing special.  Was that just a magic year?  Overachiever seems right.

Three-year deal, draft a NT now to start next year?

I agree, Hoke's good, not great. The defense takes a step back when Casey comes out.

Thing about drafting a NT, if you keep Hampton and Hoke, that's 3 NT's on the roster. Not sure it makes sense to carry 3. It would be like carrying 3 centers.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2010 at 13:48 »

Thing about drafting a NT, if you keep Hampton and Hoke, that's 3 NT's on the roster. Not sure it makes sense to carry 3. It would be like carrying 3 centers.

If we draft one this year and like what we see, then Hoke could be odd man out.  I really like the guy, but that's just the way it goes.  Perhaps we franchise Hamp and give a kid a year to develop.

Or, we sing Snack, look for a NT in 2011 and drop Hoke then.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: