Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 31, 2014 at 07:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You have to read some of these  (Read 866 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Jan 28, 2010 at 13:35 »

Oh my gosh...am I eating my own kind by posting this???

http://ibastudent.wordpress.com/2008/01/15/100-greatest-quotes-from-fundamentalist-christian-chat-rooms/

I closed it out and left the sight out of pure embarrassment.  This is the kind of Christian that I do NOT want to be.

Seriously, it is getting harder and harder to stay with the church.  I'd rather go to the soup kitchen every Sunday and meet with a Bible study group.  Trying to focus on the good things rather than the negatives, but it's becoming a real challenge.

Sad thing is that I can see some people in my church saying these things.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2010 at 10:03 »

I don't know Preach, some of aren't so bad.

evil4     evil5     evil7     insane

I presume those types of beliefs are shared by an incredibly small minority of the church going population.  Since religion "ain't my thang" I could be way off base, but I hope not.

I can't even believe this:  I think Sunday I'm going to church.  I hope the walls don't crumble due to my presence.  It is a Luthern service.  One of my daughters wanted to go to something called Acolytes, or something that sounds similar, and this is her week to light candles or something at an actual service.  I should prolly go, but I must admit (since this seems like a little confession session) it will take every ounce of my being to sit throuh an hour service.

Anyway, non believers know those wacko's are out there, and there are a lot worse things they could be wrapped up in other than religion.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2010 at 15:43 »

BV,

Bring a seat cushion and your iPod.

See if Dick's Sporting Goods sells an Impure Thought counter you can wear to the service.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2010 at 16:40 »

Lutheran service.  Pffft.  Child's play.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2010 at 08:10 »

BV,

Bring a seat cushion and your iPod.

See if Dick's Sporting Goods sells an Impure Thought counter you can wear to the service.

Well, I lived. 

The people there, choir members, greeters, etc etc, all have some crazed giddy-ness about themselves simply, I assume, becasue they are at church on Sunday morning.  They looked like I feel when I arrive in Vegas when I get the opportunity to go.  I'm glad people have something enjoyable to focus on.

The pastor at this church is the dad of my daughter's friend, is a huge Steeler fan, and is the one that got tickets for the Steeler game in Denver this year, so listening to him was different than someone I din't know.  Not much scripture quoting, but more of the "lets all be better people" message.

We went out to IHOP afterwards, so it was liveable.

Preach, I apologize for my comments, as I know this is your livlihood.  I went every Sunday as a kid, Methodist church, and it just isn't for me.  I hope I don't sound negative, just posting my experience, in hopefully a slightly comedic way.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2010 at 22:09 »

I presume those types of beliefs are shared by an incredibly small minority of the church going population.  Since religion "ain't my thang" I could be way off base, but I hope not.

It may be a majority here in the Bible belt, although that's changing.  The problem is that they are a vocal and sometimes powerful minority.

Preach, I apologize for my comments, as I know this is your livlihood.  I went every Sunday as a kid, Methodist church, and it just isn't for me.  I hope I don't sound negative, just posting my experience, in hopefully a slightly comedic way.

Meh, no offense at all.  I've said it on here a number of times:  It's not my faith in Christ that struggles, but my faith in the institutions (a la church) that are supposed to emulate him.

Honestly, BV, Sunday morning service is probably one of my least "valuable" things that I see in church.  It's much more the Bible studies, discussions, personal relationships, mission projects, etc. that make it worthwhile.  I guess I'd just encourage you that there are non-traditional groups of believers out there; and even within a traditional church, things of value that go on at times other than Sunday AM. 

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
P4P
Hillbilly Deluxe
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2010 at 23:12 »

Honesty is something you can't wear out.
Waylon Jennings
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: