Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 21, 2014 at 05:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steelers meet with some defensive players at the combine  (Read 724 times)
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« on: Feb 28, 2010 at 19:28 »

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2010 at 08:52 »

Good.  This draft should be defense and OL heavy.  Wonder if they've already checked out some DBs?

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2010 at 10:24 »

I think the db's just arrived today, didn't they?

Here are some more from KFFL

If you go to KFFL.com it tells what teams have talked to a certain players at the combine, I am pretty sure that they do not get everyone that a team has talked too but at least it gives some players. Here are some examples but it always seems that the Steelers keep it pretty quite on who they have talked too.

Florida State CB Patrick Robinson said he has talked with the Pittsburgh Steelers, Baltimore Ravens, Indianapolis Colts, Houston Texans, Cleveland Browns and New York Giants.

Alabama LB Rolando McClain said he has met with the Pittsburgh Steelers, Arizona Cardinals and New England Patriots

California WR Nyan Boateng said he has interviewed with the Minnesota Vikings, Pittsburgh Steelers and Houston Texans. Boateng added that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Cleveland Browns are also 'very interested

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2010 at 12:15 »

Been hearing two names a lot, Weatherspoon and Iupati.  Of those, Spoon looks like a better fit; a bit of Timmons 2.0, but much more the leader, so might be a good fit at buck if he shows as a thumper on tape.  Iupati did not show well at the Senior Bowl, though he practiced well and some Idaho highlights have him just crushing guys like flies.  If he has the feet to play OT, so much the better, but RG at 1.18, not so much.

WR this year does not look promising.  I like Tate a lot, but not where he's likely to go (1b/1c).  The Citadel kid might be a better gambit later.

NTs:

1b: Dan Williams weighed in at 327# (good) and had 27 reps (fail).
2b: Terrence Cody dropped 15# to weigh at 354# (good) but did not lift.  Incomplete.
2c: Cam Thomas weighed 330# (good) and lifted 31 reps (good enough).
3c: Torrell Troup weighed in at 314# (needs bulk) but lifted 34 times (good).
6a: Linval Joseph measured in at 6'4", 2" shorter than his previous 6'6", which was my primary concern for him as NT (too lanky), weighed 328# (good) and lifted 39 times (excellent).  IMO he moves up from 6a to perhaps R4-5.
7-UDFA:  Jay Ross came in at 313# and had 30 lifts.  Nothing special, but close to passable.

In short, Williams is not worth 1.18; Cody remains a mystery, but does not seem like a Tomlin guy; Thomas could have lifted better for where he's likely to be picked, but plays well; Troup and Joseph need to add bulk, but look like the best value rounders -- they would have time to add some weight with Casey's deal.  IMO, Troup and Joseph are the guys to target, with Thomas a possibility if he drops.

Not much else based on frames and health.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2010 at 13:44 »

Been hearing two names a lot, Weatherspoon and Iupati.  Of those, Spoon looks like a better fit; a bit of Timmons 2.0, but much more the leader, so might be a good fit at buck if he shows as a thumper on tape.  Iupati did not show well at the Senior Bowl, though he practiced well and some Idaho highlights have him just crushing guys like flies.  If he has the feet to play OT, so much the better, but RG at 1.18, not so much.

WR this year does not look promising.  I like Tate a lot, but not where he's likely to go (1b/1c).  The Citadel kid might be a better gambit later.

NTs:

2b: Terrence Cody dropped 15# to weigh at 354# (good) but did not lift.  Incomplete.
6a: Linval Joseph measured in at 6'4", 2" shorter than his previous 6'6", which was my primary concern for him as NT (too lanky), weighed 328# (good) and lifted 39 times (excellent).  IMO he moves up from 6a to perhaps R4-5.
7-UDFA:  Jay Ross came in at 313# and had 30 lifts.  Nothing special, but close to passable.

In short, Williams is not worth 1.18; Cody remains a mystery, but does not seem like a Tomlin guy; Thomas could have lifted better for where he's likely to be picked, but plays well; Troup and Joseph need to add bulk, but look like the best value rounders -- they would have time to add some weight with Casey's deal.  IMO, Troup and Joseph are the guys to target, with Thomas a possibility if he drops.

I'd add Jeff Owens (UGA) to the NT list. Still has some baby fat, but he moves well and we could get him in the 4th or later.

At this point, I'm not thrilled with the notion of Iupati at 18. I don't like taking guards that early, and his pass blocking would be an issue based on what I saw of him in drills. Weatherspoon has been a guy I liked all year, but I don't know how much more weight he can carry and 239 lb. buck ILB's don't hold the point all that well. Right now, I'm still hoping for a defensive back, either CB or safety would make me happy. Unless of course a guy like Bulaga or Tent Williams drops to us.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2010 at 15:57 »

NTs:

I'd add Jeff Owens (UGA) to the NT list. Still has some baby fat, but he moves well and we could get him in the 4th or later.

At this point, I'm not thrilled with the notion of Iupati at 18. I don't like taking guards that early, and his pass blocking would be an issue based on what I saw of him in drills. Weatherspoon has been a guy I liked all year, but I don't know how much more weight he can carry and 239 lb. buck ILB's don't hold the point all that well. Right now, I'm still hoping for a defensive back, either CB or safety would make me happy. Unless of course a guy like Bulaga or Tent Williams drops to us.

Owens had a nice set of reps (44), but he only came in at 6'1" 304#.  I think he's going to be targeted more by a 4-3 team.  He's got the strength but the frame misses.

I'm kind of warming to Spoon as a buck ILB, has the leadership bark that Timmons lacks.  And 239# is no less than what Farrior's been carrying lately, a little more in fact.  When I saw he ran 4.57 and had 34 reps, I started liking the idea of taking him at 18 a little better.

I'm pretty much with you on Iupati for the reasons stated.  I still think we need to upgrade C and get OT depth, and worry about OG in later rounds (or future years...  maybe see what Urbik can offer?).

I think there might be one S I'd look at for 1.18, and quite a few FS/SS and CB in R2-3.  Bulaga at 1.18, absolutely, but I think he's gone.  I'm also warming to Williams, came in taller and a helluva lot faster than I expected, looked mostly like a RT but maybe just needs time to learn the LT spot (a la Starks), and has a lot of nice skills.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2010 at 16:13 »

NTs:

Owens had a nice set of reps (44), but he only came in at 6'1" 304#.  I think he's going to be targeted more by a 4-3 team.  He's got the strength but the frame misses.

I'm kind of warming to Spoon as a buck ILB, has the leadership bark that Timmons lacks.  And 239# is no less than what Farrior's been carrying lately, a little more in fact.  When I saw he ran 4.57 and had 34 reps, I started liking the idea of taking him at 18 a little better.

I'm pretty much with you on Iupati for the reasons stated.  I still think we need to upgrade C and get OT depth, and worry about OG in later rounds (or future years...  maybe see what Urbik can offer?).

I think there might be one S I'd look at for 1.18, and quite a few FS/SS and CB in R2-3.  Bulaga at 1.18, absolutely, but I think he's gone.  I'm also warming to Williams, came in taller and a helluva lot faster than I expected, looked mostly like a RT but maybe just needs time to learn the LT spot (a la Starks), and has a lot of nice skills.

Holy crap, Owens did 44 reps? Forget it then. Someone will jump on him way too early, and his onfield production doesn't warrant a pick in the first 3 rounds.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: