Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 25, 2014 at 15:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New OT rules?  (Read 928 times)
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« on: Feb 28, 2010 at 13:33 »

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4953182

I have to admit I really like the proposal.  I had thought of one last possession for the team that starts on D, but couldn't figure out what to do if team one scores a FG  and team 2 scores a TD.  Should team 1 get another shot to win since they weren't stopped?  And if team 1 scores a TD, and team 2 got a chance to answer, they have the advantage of being in a must score situation where they know they are going for it on 4th down. 

But this version says if you give up a TD in OT you are done, even if it's on the opening possession.

I really like the fact that it will eliminate the "get the ball first, drive it to the 30, then lay down and kick it" mantality.  Teams will need to go for that opening drive TD because they could turn around and lose the game if they choose to kick the FG.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2010 at 13:37 »

I am of the opinion that just about any change to the current system-- short of the arena league rules used in college-- would be a good thing.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2010 at 17:52 »

If the first team to get the ball makes a field goal and the other team ties the game, action would continue until a team scores again.

If both teams manage a FG, revert to the sudden-death format?  What's the point of that?  Why not keep the same rules?

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 08:06 »

This new rule is only for Playoff OT games.  Would not affect the regular season which, IMO, is pointless.

I like What Herm said in that ESPN piece.  Put time on the clock and play until time runs out.  8 minutes, 10 minutes, something.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 09:45 »

If regulation ends with the score tied, each team chooses their go-to "off the field problem" guy. Obviously, ours would be Reed. These two dudes are then recklessly driven around the field by Loleini Tonga, in one of those little golf cart deals. Last man on the cart, has given his team the win.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 10:34 »

That would be way more entertaining than the current system.  Maybe i'm biased becasue I think JR has some mad car surfing skilz and could easily pull off the W.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2010 at 03:34 »

I think they should take one of the XFL ideas, and open OT with a "jump ball" for possession. It's more fair than a coin flip, since it's actually competing for possession.

And you still have a sudden death component, which I find interesting.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2010 at 08:47 »

Two words:  Lumberjack Competition

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2010 at 11:16 »

Two words:  Lumberjack Competition

Treeness!

A shabby Charlie Brown.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2010 at 11:38 »

I like What Herm said in that ESPN piece.  Put time on the clock and play until time runs out.  8 minutes, 10 minutes, something.

As many of us here have pointed out many, many times before...this is THE only correct answer.  Good to see that Edwards is a MGS fan.  Stop lurking and start posting, Coach.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: