Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 28, 2014 at 17:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Observations on Sunday's combine  (Read 635 times)
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« on: Feb 28, 2010 at 14:26 »

Gerhart ran a 4.53. Looked good. Smooth stride, just a little slow out of the blocks. Spiller had the best time with a 4.27 (and a 4.28), but he was all over the place, his head was bobbing, his legs were all over the place. I was a lot more impressed with Jahvid Best. He only ran a 4.33, but he was much more under control, had his head up, his hips under him. Dexter McCluster blew any chance of getting drafted in the first few rounds, he was slow. Ran a 4.55, and with his small size, that's not good. Joe McKnght was smooth, ran a 4.42, was under control, but didn't have the same power Best and Spiller had. Ben Tate out of Auburn had a couple nice runs, low to the ground, and ran a 4.48. Lonyea Miller ran a 4.49 but was really out of control, head down and an erratic stride. Mopntario Hardesty, has huge thighs, nice stride, ran a 4.49. Everyone else was an afterthought IMO. Conner looked good, only ran a 4.7, but he's flexible and runs very low to the ground, unlike a certain Summers we had in camp last year.

As far as QB's I wasn't impressed with any of the guys who threw. Pike's deliverly looked super slow. LeFevour had a good physique and got the ball out quickly, but he was missing a lot, same with Jevan Snead. Glad we're not drafting a QB this year.

Jacoby Ford ran the best time out of the receivers (4.28) and he looked pretty good in the drills. He helped himself because his on-field production wasn't all that great. Mardy Gillyard looked awful. Ran a 4.56, had a awkward running style, and seemed off ballance all the time, plus he dropped a couple in the drills. I still think he's gonna be a decent receiver, but he's gonna need a couple years to work on his techniques. Really like the llok of Arellious Benn. He's poweful. Ran a 4.48 and looked good in drills. Easely looked good catching it, but he's got a funky running style. Ran a 4.39.

In group 2 of the receivers, Golden Tate looked quick, but he had issues in the drills, dropped a few and slipped. I think he didn't help himself at all. He ran a 4.39. A guy that caught my eye was Stephan Williams out of Toledo, he's 6'4 and has a nice long stride. He's a leaper. Ran a 4.48. Carlton Mitc(bad word) looked interesting too. He's 6'3 215 and he looked really smooth in the drills. Ran a 4.44. Might be there in the later rounds. Sipley was slow, ran a 4.57, but he was quicker than most out of the blocks, so he might have some value. But IMO he'll drop into the 3rd or 4th. Showed good hands in the drills.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2010 at 17:54 »

Carlton Mitc(bad word)

What the fuck?

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2010 at 19:12 »

Carlton Mitc(bad word)

What the fuck?

Sorry. That's Mitchell. I posted this first over on the Steelers official message board, and it doesn't like the word "hell". I prefer this board, but it gets quiet in the offseason, so I go there for company since I need Steeler talk all the time.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2010 at 08:40 »

I thought maybe it was Mitcunt or something.  

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2010 at 09:53 »

I thought maybe it was Mitcunt or something.  

Me too.  I was amusing myself, thinking what kind of misery it would be growing up with a name llike Mittaint or Mitsnatch.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2010 at 22:15 »

Spiller had the best time with a 4.27 (and a 4.28), but he was all over the place, his head was bobbing, his legs were all over the place. I was a lot more impressed with Jahvid Best. He only ran a 4.33, but he was much more under control, had his head up, his hips under him.

So you were more impressed with the guy with good form and slower time over bad form and fastest time?  Doesn't matter how it looks, but how fast you get to the end zone. 

Little surprised at that actually.  Spiller runs track in the offseason, thought his form would be better.

Jacoby Ford ran the best time out of the receivers (4.28) and he looked pretty good in the drills. He helped himself because his on-field production wasn't all that great.

Welcome to Oakland.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: