Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 15, 2014 at 21:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Trade Deadline Thread  (Read 1856 times)
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« on: Mar 01, 2010 at 09:42 »

Olympics are over, so it's back to business. Should be a wild couple of days until Wednesday. Feel free to post any rumors/updates in this thread.

Shero's first move, aquiring Jordan Leopold per TSN:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=311999

Good move imo. He's been a shot blocking machine this season and has some solid offensive ability. At the very least it's a monster upgrade over Skoula.

Also there have been some rumors going around about a possible Ponikarovsky acquisition. Would be a big fan of this move if it didn't cost a 1st rounder or someone like Letang. He'd look great on Malikin's line and spelling Guerin in front of the net on the PP. He's also very solid defensively and has great scoring touch.

« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2010 at 09:47 by Merman1983 » Logged
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2010 at 10:22 »

I have to think this deal is more than just a replacement for Skoula on the depth chart.  Leopold will be a top 6 D so who sits?  It has to be Gogo.  My first thought was that this deal is a precursor to a bigger deal.  I'd hate to see Letang traded but he is a UFA next year and Mark Madden has said they are far apart in negotiations.  Letang is reportedly asking for $4 mil. per and the Pens are offering $2 mil.  Add into the equation trying to resign Gonchar.  I don't see them fitting both under the cap.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2010 at 14:17 »

I agree that this is a precusor to something else. Also, I have to hope that Madden is full of shit and Letang is not demanding 4 million per year. It would be a different story if he was ready to take over QB duties on the power play, but he obviously is not based on how much of a pile of dog shit the PP looks like when Gonchar is out. He should get a raise to 2.5-3.0 per max.

That said, Letang is already extremely solid in both ends and isn't even fully developed, and young puck moving defenseman don't grow on trees. If either he or Goligoski are traded, we better get a legit top 6 winger in return.
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 07:06 »

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_669584.html

Rossi drops a lot of insight in this piece.  First and foremost, the possibility of letting Gonchar walk after this season.  At first I was thinking "now way that happens" but after I digested it, it's not much different than making a trade for a rent-a-player (Hossa) the only difference is the Pens aren't trading anything away.

Secondly, Rossi confirms that Letang is asking for a contract in the $4 mil. per year range.  One thing that makes me feel a little better about the situation is that Letang is a RFA and not unrestricted.  I don't see him going anywhere next year.  Hopefully they can reach some common ground around $3 mil. per.  Although I do think $4 mil. is a bit much for an unproven 23 year old player, he's been outperforming Goligoski by a mile and should command significantly better contract.

As for the Leopold trade, I was hoping for more of a stay-at-home physical defenseman like Andy Sutton or James Wisniewski but if Leopold is the kind of D-man Bylsma wants, who am I to argue?

Just one man's opinion.

Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 08:19 »

Was going to post that article this morning. Sick feeling that Gonch may be gone after this season. Guy's 35 and still plays like he's 25. This is probably his last chance to really cash in so I can't say I blame him.

So was Leopold acquired because he would be easy to extend on the cheap? IMO there is no way we can even match Gonchar's last contract let alone give him any type of raise. Guess I was hoping he'd take the Malkin-Crosby hometown discount.

We are up against the cap and only have, what, 2 of 8 defensemen under contract next year? Ray is the man but sure has his work cut out for him.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 19:25 »

Not too sure about this, but I think this means the Flyers might be looking for a new squad member.

*snicker*

They should offer Van Reamsdyke, Giroux, and a number one for Nabokov.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 19:56 »

Sources indicate the Toronto Maple Leafs are closing in on a deal to send forward Alexei Ponikarovsky to the Pittsburgh Penguins.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=312141

Depending on what we give up I hope this happens.

Stagy and Errey both mentioned this during the broadcast as well.

Just one man's opinion.

Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 20:01 »

Sources indicate the Toronto Maple Leafs are closing in on a deal to send forward Alexei Ponikarovsky to the Pittsburgh Penguins.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=312141

Depending on what we give up I hope this happens.

Stagy and Errey both mentioned this during the broadcast as well.

Hear this during the game too. Fuck yes, do it Ray.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 20:10 »

Grove just said on the radio it was Caputi for Ponikarovsky.  A complete steal IMO.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 20:15 »

Grove just said on the radio it was Caputi for Ponikarovsky.  A complete steal IMO.

If that is true Ray Shero has once again bent over the trade deadline.

Geno finally has his winger.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: