Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 01, 2014 at 17:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Trade Deadline Thread  (Read 1900 times)
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« on: Mar 01, 2010 at 09:42 »

Olympics are over, so it's back to business. Should be a wild couple of days until Wednesday. Feel free to post any rumors/updates in this thread.

Shero's first move, aquiring Jordan Leopold per TSN:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=311999

Good move imo. He's been a shot blocking machine this season and has some solid offensive ability. At the very least it's a monster upgrade over Skoula.

Also there have been some rumors going around about a possible Ponikarovsky acquisition. Would be a big fan of this move if it didn't cost a 1st rounder or someone like Letang. He'd look great on Malikin's line and spelling Guerin in front of the net on the PP. He's also very solid defensively and has great scoring touch.

« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2010 at 09:47 by Merman1983 » Logged
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2010 at 10:22 »

I have to think this deal is more than just a replacement for Skoula on the depth chart.  Leopold will be a top 6 D so who sits?  It has to be Gogo.  My first thought was that this deal is a precursor to a bigger deal.  I'd hate to see Letang traded but he is a UFA next year and Mark Madden has said they are far apart in negotiations.  Letang is reportedly asking for $4 mil. per and the Pens are offering $2 mil.  Add into the equation trying to resign Gonchar.  I don't see them fitting both under the cap.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2010 at 14:17 »

I agree that this is a precusor to something else. Also, I have to hope that Madden is full of shit and Letang is not demanding 4 million per year. It would be a different story if he was ready to take over QB duties on the power play, but he obviously is not based on how much of a pile of dog shit the PP looks like when Gonchar is out. He should get a raise to 2.5-3.0 per max.

That said, Letang is already extremely solid in both ends and isn't even fully developed, and young puck moving defenseman don't grow on trees. If either he or Goligoski are traded, we better get a legit top 6 winger in return.
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 07:06 »

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_669584.html

Rossi drops a lot of insight in this piece.  First and foremost, the possibility of letting Gonchar walk after this season.  At first I was thinking "now way that happens" but after I digested it, it's not much different than making a trade for a rent-a-player (Hossa) the only difference is the Pens aren't trading anything away.

Secondly, Rossi confirms that Letang is asking for a contract in the $4 mil. per year range.  One thing that makes me feel a little better about the situation is that Letang is a RFA and not unrestricted.  I don't see him going anywhere next year.  Hopefully they can reach some common ground around $3 mil. per.  Although I do think $4 mil. is a bit much for an unproven 23 year old player, he's been outperforming Goligoski by a mile and should command significantly better contract.

As for the Leopold trade, I was hoping for more of a stay-at-home physical defenseman like Andy Sutton or James Wisniewski but if Leopold is the kind of D-man Bylsma wants, who am I to argue?

Just one man's opinion.

Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 08:19 »

Was going to post that article this morning. Sick feeling that Gonch may be gone after this season. Guy's 35 and still plays like he's 25. This is probably his last chance to really cash in so I can't say I blame him.

So was Leopold acquired because he would be easy to extend on the cheap? IMO there is no way we can even match Gonchar's last contract let alone give him any type of raise. Guess I was hoping he'd take the Malkin-Crosby hometown discount.

We are up against the cap and only have, what, 2 of 8 defensemen under contract next year? Ray is the man but sure has his work cut out for him.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 19:25 »

Not too sure about this, but I think this means the Flyers might be looking for a new squad member.

*snicker*

They should offer Van Reamsdyke, Giroux, and a number one for Nabokov.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 19:56 »

Sources indicate the Toronto Maple Leafs are closing in on a deal to send forward Alexei Ponikarovsky to the Pittsburgh Penguins.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=312141

Depending on what we give up I hope this happens.

Stagy and Errey both mentioned this during the broadcast as well.

Just one man's opinion.

Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 20:01 »

Sources indicate the Toronto Maple Leafs are closing in on a deal to send forward Alexei Ponikarovsky to the Pittsburgh Penguins.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=312141

Depending on what we give up I hope this happens.

Stagy and Errey both mentioned this during the broadcast as well.

Hear this during the game too. Fuck yes, do it Ray.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 20:10 »

Grove just said on the radio it was Caputi for Ponikarovsky.  A complete steal IMO.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 20:15 »

Grove just said on the radio it was Caputi for Ponikarovsky.  A complete steal IMO.

If that is true Ray Shero has once again bent over the trade deadline.

Geno finally has his winger.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 20:41 »

If that is true Ray Shero has once again bent over the trade deadline.

Geno finally has his winger.

Must be Caputi and picks.  Has to be.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 20:52 »

It's on the p-g website now.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 21:06 »

It was just mentioned on FSN, Caputi and Skoula. Fucking awesome. Still pending the call but it's all over twitter and such.

http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/9905186949
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2010 at 21:12 by Merman1983 » Logged
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 22:11 »

Wow, can't believe Shero was able to dump Skoula off on the Maple Laughs.  A little disappointed in losing Caputi.  I thought he had a chance to be the mythical top line winger we've been waiting so long for the farm system to produce.

Help us Tangradi, you're our only hope.

Just one man's opinion.

Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2010 at 06:41 »

Wow, can't believe Shero was able to dump Skoula off on the Maple Laughs.  A little disappointed in losing Caputi.  I thought he had a chance to be the mythical top line winger we've been waiting so long for the farm system to produce.

Help us Tangradi, you're our only hope.

I never like losing prospects but IMO Caputi has faded quite a bit in the last couple years. He doesn't seem to have the size to be the power forward we really need. Also, during his callups he was a god-awful skater and didn't really show much else despite having a couple goals. Time will tell though, especially because he will get tons of ice time for the rest of the year on Toronto's big club.

Our minor league system is barren outside of Tangradi and a few others, but if it gets them another cup it's worth it. Now we must all hope that Philly or Washington don't get Vokoun. He is rumored to be moved, but I honestly can't see how either fits him under the cap.
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2010 at 10:24 »

Caputi is the leading scorer for the Baby Pens.  Not saying that automatically translates to the NHL, but it's hard to prove yourself in four games.  I have no problem with the trade especially if we resign Poni after winning another cup.  At some point I was hoping we could eventually draft and bring up a top line wing or two through the system to play alongside Sid/Geno for an entire season.

Just one man's opinion.

pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Mar 03, 2010 at 11:15 »

Now we must all hope that Philly or Washington don't get Vokoun. He is rumored to be moved, but I honestly can't see how either fits him under the cap.

Not sure how the NHL cap works, but don't they get write off the remainder of Emery's salary?  

A shabby Charlie Brown.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Mar 03, 2010 at 11:30 »

Skoula sent on to the Devils, fwiw.  Oh no!  What if he scores a series winning goal against us!

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Mar 03, 2010 at 18:47 »

Wow, record number of deals done this deadline, I'm sure everyone has read TSN by now and seen them all.

Capitals obviously improve by getting Joe Corvo. They also got Jurcina again, perhaps the want to watch Geno turn him inside out in the playoffs again this year. Also picked up Scott Walker (whatever) and Eric Belanger. Besides getting Corvo, a whole bunch of meh in my opinion. Their goaltending is still not good enough to win a cup.

Philly did nothing, although I read some rumors about a possible Jeff Carter for Vokoun trade. That would have been fucking crazy.

All obvious homerism aside, I think the Pens were the clear winners of the deadline. Things are going to get very interestig once Geno starts dropping those pucks off for some Poni wristers.
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #19 on: Mar 04, 2010 at 13:33 »

Corvo has seen better days, he's having a very sub par season. I don't know why the Caps went after a puck moving defensemen when they already have two...I figured they'd go after Leopold or someone like him. Scotty Walker is a big pick up for them IMO. Role playing grinders are great assets come playoff time. They are the players that can really make a difference. However, we have guys like that already. Adams, Mad Max, TK Money, Cooke ect. Walker didn't have an impact against us in the ECF last season, so I don't really see him all of a sudden becoming a problem for us this post season. I think the Caps have what it takes to beat any team in the East in a playoff series except us and New Jersey. So we'll see what happens. Once again, Shero made a couple of great moves, and I really like our chances for another Cup this season. 

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Mar 04, 2010 at 14:12 »

I figured they'd go after Leopold or someone like him.

Yes!

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #21 on: Mar 04, 2010 at 18:31 »

Corvo has seen better days, he's having a very sub par season. I don't know why the Caps went after a puck moving defensemen when they already have two...I figured they'd go after Leopold or someone like him. Scotty Walker is a big pick up for them IMO. Role playing grinders are great assets come playoff time. They are the players that can really make a difference. However, we have guys like that already. Adams, Mad Max, TK Money, Cooke ect. Walker didn't have an impact against us in the ECF last season, so I don't really see him all of a sudden becoming a problem for us this post season. I think the Caps have what it takes to beat any team in the East in a playoff series except us and New Jersey. So we'll see what happens. Once again, Shero made a couple of great moves, and I really like our chances for another Cup this season.

If it comes down to goaltending (and it often does in the playoffs) I like the Pens chances with MAF.  I can't believe Philly didn't get a netminder at the deadline.  That's where the Caps weakness lies as well.  I still wish we would have picked up Andy Sutton for the same price as Leopold.  The difference between the Caps this year and last is Mike Knuble and he's just going to set up shop in front of MAF with nobody but Orpik capable of doing anything about it.

Just one man's opinion.

Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Mar 04, 2010 at 19:31 »

I still wish we would have picked up Andy Sutton for the same price as Leopold.  

I'm pretty sure picking up Sutton's salary would have prevented Shero from getting Poni. They still had to move Skoula's prorated 4 dollars to make room under the cap while still leaving wiggle space for AHL type moves. Given that circumstances I think that you have to take the Leopold-Poni combo. Also it allowed them to keep Mckee as a 7th defenseman (instead of being forced to move his salary) which could prove huge come playoff time.

Agree with your point about Knuble though.
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2010 at 19:33 by Merman1983 » Logged
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #23 on: Mar 05, 2010 at 21:21 »

I figured they'd go after Leopold or someone like him.

Yes!

haha I had to someone work that into my first post in fucking ages. Glad you still remember!

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: