Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 22, 2014 at 14:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I predict we'll have the best 18th overall pick in the last 20 years  (Read 902 times)
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« on: Mar 01, 2010 at 16:08 »

Not just because of the talent available, but because look at the last 20 guys that got selected 18th overall. Not all that impressive. Some decent players there, but nobody I'd consider a star:

09- Robert Ayers LB (Tenn)
08- Joe Flacco QB (Balt)
07- Leon Hall CB (Cin)
06- Bobby Carpenter LB (Dal)
05- Erasmus James DE (Min)
04- Will Smith DE (NO)
03- Calvin Pace DE (Ariz)
02- T.J. Duckett RB (Atl)
01- Jeff Backus OT (Det)
00- Chad Pennington Qb (Jets)
99- Matt Stinchcomb OT (Oak)
98- Robert Edwards RB (NE)
97- Kenny Holmes DE (Tenn)
96- Eddie Kennison Wr (Stl)
95- Napoleon Kaufman RB (Oak)
94- Dewayne Washington CB (Min)
93- Ernest Dye OT (Cards)
92- Dana Hall FS (SF)
91- Alfred Williams OLB (Cin)
90- Tony Bennett LB (GB)

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2010 at 17:26 »

By and large, the 1.18 has been a pile of retch-up.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2010 at 10:53 »

It'll be one of the following
Dan Williams - DT - Tennessee
Earl Thomas - S - Texas
Mike Iupati - OG - Idaho
Taylor Mays - S - USC
Brian Bulaga - OT - Iowa
Bruce Campbell - OT - Maryland

I know we do not need this but I would not mind trading up to get McClain...he is a bad ass. 

If we cannot get one of the players mentioned above---trade down.

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2010 at 11:17 »

94- Dewayne Washington CB (Min)

I dunno.  I think it's gonna be hard to top the '94 ROY.

And honestly, I'd sing up right now for Will Smith, Calvin Pace, Matt Stinchcomb or Leon Hall production out of this year's 1.18.  Sure beats Troy Edwards (13th) territory...

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2010 at 11:32 »

TJ Duckett is the pick here.  He's the big, bruising back we've needed since Bettis left.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2010 at 13:04 »

Earl Thomas - S - Texas
Mike Iupati - OG - Idaho
Taylor Mays - S - USC
Brian Bulaga - OT - Iowa

I know we do not need this but I would not mind trading up to get McClain...he is a bad ass. 

Earl Thomas - S - Texas
Mike Iupati - OG - Idaho
Taylor Mays - S - USC
Brian Bulaga - OT - Iowa

Williams is very unlikely now that Hamp has a new deal; additionally, he put the bar up 27 times, which doesn't cut it for a 3-4 NT.  IMO, 30 is the minimum, 35+ optimum.  (Hampton - 34, Wilfork 36, Nagata 37, e.g.)

Mays and Campbell don't fit our draft profiles.  We value productivity that will translate into the bigs over triangle numbers and upside.  (No JPP for that reason, too.)

I doubt Bulaga is there, but if he is he has to be a strong consideration.

Earl Thomas has to be a very strong consideration, esp. given the Clark situation.  There are also some decent R2 FS values.

Iupati... I wouldn't be thrilled.  I know he was supposedly told he's our top OL choice, but I find that hard to believe.  Perhaps top IOL choice, and perhaps if he were there in a trade-down.  But I've said before and will say it again: he had a bad Senior Bowl, and IMO he's Kemo-plus.  We already have a Kemo, and the value doesn't mesh at 1.18.

Add Sean Weatherspoon, whom Wex says the FO likes, as someone who might step in sooner than later if Farrior is seen as having crossed the Rubicon.  Weatherspoon has the leadership and some good Indy measurables, although he is so yappy that some teams might not like that.  We haven't had that since Peezy left, and could use a dose, IMO.

Trent Williams could be a consideration, too.  He's seen as a RT only in the pros, which could work if the new OL coach is thinking of bumping Colon inside.  Another consideration is his fast time at Indy, almost Bruce Campbell good, and the fact that he improved at LT last year over the course of the season.  He could be seen as a Starks-plus type who could start at RT and eventually learn LT technique.  What that means to Colon (trade?) remains to be seen.

Add some trade-down names for 1c/2a:

Maurkice Pouncey, C, FL.  Came in a bit light at Indy, but good upside as a G/C who can take over center duties in a year and not allow Hartwig's 7 sacks per season.

Jared Odrick, DE, PSU.  Might be odd to take DL back to back R1, but Odrick is much more in the LDE/Smith frame, whereas Hood is the RDE/Keisel frame.  And Aaron Smiths don't grow on trees.

Golden Tate, WR, Our Lady.  Tate's a nice player with questionable size who would be trying to fit into a rotation of Ward/Holmes/Wallace/He Who Shall Not Be Named Until He Catches Something.  Wex compares him to Hines, which I don't see, but Hines's age is a consideration, and Holmes is in the final year of his rookie deal.  Steelers like to keep a steady pipeline of WR talent coming in the higher rounds.

Best CB available.  At the bottom of R1/top of R2, there will be a cluster of CBs not named Joe Haden (forget his Indy 40) who might entice the Steelers, who should be ready to move Gay back to nickel.  Even with Burnett and Lewis in the fold, the Steelers might want to add one more CB, especially if they think Lewis could switch to S.  The question is, which CB?  Everyone's boards vary, but Kyle Wilson, Boise, Devin McCourty, Rutgers, and any of a number of others (Dominique Franks, Patrick Robinson, Brandon Ghee) could be of interest.

I'll say Haden, McClain, and Bulaga are the guys to watch that will likely be off.  Too many questions about Anthony Davis, IMO. 

Guys around 1.18 we should target: Thomas, Weatherspoon, possibly Williams (with some caveats).

Trade down:  Odrick, Pouncey, BA CB, Tate (based on apparent interest).

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2010 at 13:55 »

Earl Thomas - S - Texas
Mike Iupati - OG - Idaho
Taylor Mays - S - USC
Brian Bulaga - OT - Iowa

Earl Thomas - S - Texas
Mike Iupati - OG - Idaho
Taylor Mays - S - USC
Brian Bulaga - OT - Iowa

Williams is very unlikely now that Hamp has a new deal; additionally, he put the bar up 27 times, which doesn't cut it for a 3-4 NT.  IMO, 30 is the minimum, 35+ optimum.  (Hampton - 34, Wilfork 36, Nagata 37, e.g.)

Mays and Campbell don't fit our draft profiles.  We value productivity that will translate into the bigs over triangle numbers and upside.  (No JPP for that reason, too.)

I doubt Bulaga is there, but if he is he has to be a strong consideration.

Earl Thomas has to be a very strong consideration, esp. given the Clark situation.  There are also some decent R2 FS values.

Iupati... I wouldn't be thrilled.  I know he was supposedly told he's our top OL choice, but I find that hard to believe.  Perhaps top IOL choice, and perhaps if he were there in a trade-down.  But I've said before and will say it again: he had a bad Senior Bowl, and IMO he's Kemo-plus.  We already have a Kemo, and the value doesn't mesh at 1.18.

Add Sean Weatherspoon, whom Wex says the FO likes, as someone who might step in sooner than later if Farrior is seen as having crossed the Rubicon.  Weatherspoon has the leadership and some good Indy measurables, although he is so yappy that some teams might not like that.  We haven't had that since Peezy left, and could use a dose, IMO.

Trent Williams could be a consideration, too.  He's seen as a RT only in the pros, which could work if the new OL coach is thinking of bumping Colon inside.  Another consideration is his fast time at Indy, almost Bruce Campbell good, and the fact that he improved at LT last year over the course of the season.  He could be seen as a Starks-plus type who could start at RT and eventually learn LT technique.  What that means to Colon (trade?) remains to be seen.

Add some trade-down names for 1c/2a:

Maurkice Pouncey, C, FL.  Came in a bit light at Indy, but good upside as a G/C who can take over center duties in a year and not allow Hartwig's 7 sacks per season.

Jared Odrick, DE, PSU.  Might be odd to take DL back to back R1, but Odrick is much more in the LDE/Smith frame, whereas Hood is the RDE/Keisel frame.  And Aaron Smiths don't grow on trees.

Golden Tate, WR, Our Lady.  Tate's a nice player with questionable size who would be trying to fit into a rotation of Ward/Holmes/Wallace/He Who Shall Not Be Named Until He Catches Something.  Wex compares him to Hines, which I don't see, but Hines's age is a consideration, and Holmes is in the final year of his rookie deal.  Steelers like to keep a steady pipeline of WR talent coming in the higher rounds.

Best CB available.  At the bottom of R1/top of R2, there will be a cluster of CBs not named Joe Haden (forget his Indy 40) who might entice the Steelers, who should be ready to move Gay back to nickel.  Even with Burnett and Lewis in the fold, the Steelers might want to add one more CB, especially if they think Lewis could switch to S.  The question is, which CB?  Everyone's boards vary, but Kyle Wilson, Boise, Devin McCourty, Rutgers, and any of a number of others (Dominique Franks, Patrick Robinson, Brandon Ghee) could be of interest.

I'll say Haden, McClain, and Bulaga are the guys to watch that will likely be off.  Too many questions about Anthony Davis, IMO. 

Guys around 1.18 we should target: Thomas, Weatherspoon, possibly Williams (with some caveats).

Trade down:  Odrick, Pouncey, BA CB, Tate (based on apparent interest).

Yeah, I don't think we go with Williams at this point, though I wouldn't complain one bit if we did.

Mays is intriguing, and I confess to getting a bit of a stiffie at the tought of him knocking the crap out of receivers and having him and Troy on run support, but I think Lebeau likes guys who are more versatile. If he's blitzing Troy, then he needs someone back there who can cover if the blitz gets picked up. So I doubt we take him.

Campbell's got issues that usually preclude us from taking a guy, so I think it's safe to assume we pass on him.

Bulaga's another guy like Williams. I wouldn't complain if we draft him, but what the hell do we do with him if we do? Move Starks? Move Colon? Move both so that Bulaga is at his natural LT spot, Starks is on the right and Willie is RG? Doesn't seem like something they are willing to do.

I do like a couple of the corners besides Haden. I like Robinson and I really like McCourty, but who knows if the FO likes them, and we did keep 2 rookies last year. I think they're only an option if McClain, Thomas, and Weatherspoon are off the board and we can't get value in trading down.

So, I think we're kinda getting on the same page. Now watch, they'll draft Cody and mess up all our plans of mice and men.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2010 at 14:52 »

Earl Thomas please

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2010 at 15:20 »

Earl Thomas please

That's the one that makes the most sense to me, who may actually be available.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: