Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 01, 2014 at 06:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If the 1st 17 picks fall the way Kirwan has them, who would you take?  (Read 1276 times)
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« on: Mar 03, 2010 at 09:53 »

I think his list is solid.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d816b3cfa&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2010 at 10:02 »

That'll work.  I'm thinking they need a CB worse than OL at this point.  Hopefully that guy is a good one.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2010 at 11:13 »

The best thing about that mock is it has Suh, McCoy, and Berry all landing outside the division.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2010 at 16:09 »

Hate how this mock unfolds.  I'd take Robinson... in R2.

Top players on my list, not taken by Kirwan's 18:  Odrick, Graham, Weatherspoon.

I'd have Spoon written on the card to the Commish.  We need a vocal leader in the middle to set the defense, and Spoon has the speed to cover.  Great workout numbers, too.

But it's close with those three.  I think Odrick is a bit of an Aaron Smith type, and Graham is a Woodley type.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2010 at 16:56 »

Agree with Finny...Weatherspoon is the pick here if that's what is available.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2010 at 17:30 »

If things played out the way they do there, I would like to pick up Iupati. He seems to have all the tools and the opportunity to get even better.

Patrick Robinson going in the middle of round one seems like a Troy Edwards pick. Taking the first name off of the neediest position list I mean. Granted there is a ton of room for improvement in our CB play but I am just not sure he is even first round quality. Watching FSU's DBs the last few seasons has been every bit as miserable as ours sans Troy P. True freshman Greg Reid was the best of the bunch last year. The Seminoles have had more Rhodes Scholars in the secondary than ball players of late.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2010 at 18:30 »

Iupati is a mixed bag for me.  Senior Bowl practices he was being hailed as a sure-fire Pro Bowler.  Has the frame and arms like an orangutan.  Is Samoan, always a plus.

Minuses include actual Senior Bowl play, where he looked a step slow always, and OG value as a mid-R1. 

CBs this year are getting too much hype.  Slow 40s, with the caveat that I'm throwing out Haden's 40 altogether based on that funky stance issue.  Not good size.  It's mostly a few R2-3, and not the popular R1/2 cusp cluster currently clamored for.

Put it this way:  of CBs 5'11" or greater AND 4.45 or faster:

*Crezdon Butler, Clemson, UDFA.
*Chris Cook, Virginia, 3c.
*Brandon Ghee, Wake, 2c (probably undervalued).
*Chris Hawkins, LSU, 7-comp/UDFA.
*AJ Jefferson, Fresno St., 6c.
*Myron Lewis, Vandy, 6a.
*Devin McCourty, Rutgers, 2a.
*Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, IUP, 3c.
*David Pender, Purdue, UDFA.
*Patrick Robinson, FSU, 2b.

Of these, throw out the R6 and laters.  They're rated that for a reason.  McCourty is fine, but better value can be found with Ghee and certainly AOA.  Robinson's inconsistency rankles me.  Cook is getting love off workouts. 

So, Ghee, AOA are the best value/talent nexii; then McCourty, Robinson.  Better yet, chuck the last two and take Amari Spievey, just off the 4.45 mark at 4.47, hard to peg but listed 3c, more likely 2c.

Kyle Wilson didn't run, has the size, showed well in the bowl, but tackling is a ?.  Pro day will tell. Possibly over-rated at 1c.  I'd add him to the list, closer to our R2, which means he's not there.

Kareem Jackson is also in the 2c talk, but at 5'10". 

In short, bad class of seniors, over-rated juniors getting too much love, not enough pure speed.  Better value at DL, OL, some ILB.

Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2010 at 08:29 »

I think if it fell out the way the first mock went, I'd go with Wilson. He reminds me of Ty Law (I'll have to see what he runs at his pro day on the 26th before I can say for sure). Now Kirwan has a second mock I like MUCH better as far as our pick goes. Hope this one's right:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d816d8732&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2010 at 08:36 »

Haden stated he had a lower back injury at the combine and insists he will run a sub 4.4 on his pro day...I hope not and then he could drop to us. 

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2010 at 20:27 »

A few quick comments, as as usual I've ignored most of the early draft reports (not out of piety, but rather it just makes me frustrated the draft/season is so far away) but have a couple opinions to add.

Firstly, the Rams should do everything but take a DT with the first overall pick. I see DT as the marquee players on the consensus boards but consider the amount of money and cap space your awarding versus impact on the field. The best DL in the league don't go all three downs. Seems retarded to me to draft/pay a guy in that manner unless he so exceedinglyy impresses more directly-involved players.

A DL is going to have that much impact for you? He'd better come on and be MF'n Joe Greene if youre passing on potential building blocks at OT, QB, and RB that you seem to be lacking at. Consider the price.

Ronaldo McClain was the man in college. Seems versatile enough to fit into and impact any scheme and he's going outside the top ten. Seems strange to me.

Eric Berry's probably my favorite player in this draft. It'll suck if he goes to the Browns.

Although, Cleveland makes no sense. They have cultivated playing time and cap-room for their big-time quarterback yet have shown no interest in acquiring somebody better than Seneca Wallace.

I wouldnt touch Carlos Dunlap with a ten foot pole.

Trent Williams is a Sooner. No big deal but itll get jonzr his jollies and make sure everyone knows Okla State didnt have like the most kick ass line ever with two OTs going in the top ten.

How can Earl Thomas be ranked higher than Taylor Mays without some special eye-test outside the numbers thing? Seems to me that Mays is the pick here.

Jason Paul-Pierre is french for "I may smell bad but that's because I am french and not because I let Pitt guys like Shady McCoy, Dion Lewis, and Raymond Graham run all over us."

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2010 at 08:44 »

Now he has us taking Wilson:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d816f37c9&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I don't know why I'm fixated on Kirwan's mock, it's not like he's the king of the gurus or anything. I just like to see how many permutations we get. I think I already said this somewhere above, but I'll repeat it, I'm not too put off by Wilson's stature since Ty Law was just about the same size and Wilson appears to move a lot like Law, but I'll have to see what he runs in the 40 at his pro day before I bless him as a good choice. Being short, and running a 4.6 wouldn't be a good combination IMO.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Mar 16, 2010 at 08:57 »

Better R2 CB values, IMO.

Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2010 at 09:42 »

Better R2 CB values, IMO.

Yeah, I'd love to get an ILB or OT in the first and have someone like McCourty drop to us in the second.

sysadmin7

« Reply #13 on: Mar 19, 2010 at 20:43 »

If the draft plays out like his 3.0 mock, I'd try to trade out of the #18 pick.

If not, I'd still take NT Terrance Cody to be the heir-apparent for Big Snack. I see more value with him than any other player sitting at the #17 spot.

LINUX = FREEDOM
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: