Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 23, 2014 at 05:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm wonderin' (cap/bonuses/uncapped year question)  (Read 490 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Mar 05, 2010 at 15:20 »

I'm going to apologize in advance here because this might be a really dumb question and/or it may have been discussed before, but because of crazy goings on, I haven't had time to shit, much less keep up on FAs, RFAs, the CBA, BAAs or the uncapped season.

What's to stop a team that has a player with a big cap number/contract from reworking said contract so that most of his "salary" applies in '10?

Using the expired CBA salary structure, here's an example of what I'm talkin' about:

Player signs a 5YR/50MILLION/20BONUS contract. 

Let's say that breaks out (it's never even like this, but for shits and giggles...) as such:
Year #1 - 6MILLION/4BONUS
Year #2 - 6MILLION/4BONUS
Year #3 - 6MILLION/4BONUS
Year #4 - 6MILLION/4BONUS
Year #5 - 6MILLION/4BONUS

Let's assume that Year #2 is 2010, so he's still owed 24 million in salary with the remainder of his guaranteed money (4 million per) that would've counted toward the cap each year.  Why can't a team rework that deal and have say, 18 million of his salary hit in 2010 so that his cost for the remainder of his contract is a measely 2 mirrion per for the final three years?

Obviously, I was trying to apply this to Ben's latest deal that he signed in '08. 

There's gotta be a way to adjust those cumbersome deals to have a minimal cap hit in future (assuming they come to an agreement) years.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2010 at 15:29 »

Yeah, I dunno.  But good question.

This whole CBA shit has me 'ed spinnin'.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2010 at 15:44 »

The way to do it would be ( I believe ) to give the bulk of the money as salary for 2010 (as opposed to a "bonus"). The problem is that the player's salaries usually come in increments of  game checks spread out over the season.

Not sure that a player (or his agent) would be keen to have to wait for that lump sum to be spread out over a whole season. Suppose they might if the pot was sweetened a bit.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: