Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 23, 2014 at 09:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worst case  (Read 4526 times)
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Mar 10, 2010 at 15:29 »

Well, they can't wait around until he's CONVICTED, so my guess is that, if he's charged, he'll either be released or traded, because even just being charged, he'll be tied up in courts, and he'll get a suspension from Goodell of at least 4 games IMO. So they will start to look at the draft, and if they release him, that will clear cap room for any future cap, so if they so choose, they can go after free agents like Anderson (who I think is a pretty good QB in a shitty Celeveland town) or they can think about doing something radical like trading this year's and next year's first round pick to move up to get Bradford who's the only QB I really like in this draft. Then go into the season with DD as the starter with either the free agent like Anderson or the rookie battling for the spot. By the way, we were going to need a QB anyway to replace Batch, so now we'll be looking for two. Of course, that's only if he's charged.

Wait, what?

IMO, no way the Steelers make a move if he's charged.

C'mon SDW, take it easy, man.

These types of cases are very touchy and very, very difficult for the prosecution.  It's not about proving whether something happened between the two parties, but whether that contact was consentual.  The prosecution wants to put the victim on the stand to pull at the jury's/judge's heartstrings?  OK, cool.  Well, the defense will march a busload of bar patrons, bartenders, waitresses, bouncers, etc., that watched her paw at his crotch for half the night.  They'll depose boyfriends, BFFs, classmates, Facebook friends as character witnesses.  They'll drown the prosecutor in paperwork...e-mails, letters, texts, phone records, phone calls, twitters, twaddles, post it notes left on windshields.  You name it, they'll find it.  And, I guarantee it won't be glowing.

By the time they're done with their cross, this girl will be painted as a stalker psycho that makes Lindsey Lohan look like a saint.

Of course, that's if it goes to trial, which it won't.  IMO, if they had him dead to rights, he'd be charged by now.  And, even if he is charged, it'll likely only be done as leverage in settlement negotiations.

The only real question will be "how much?"  How much will it cost him in legal fees and how much will it cost to settle...either now or in a civil suit?

IIRC, that's why the Reno thing is still hanging around.  BR could've settled that one prior to charges being dropped and got them to sign some sort of agreement prohibiting the woman from pursuing a civil suit.  He instead chose to let the matter play out, which in the end, worked out because the charges were dropped.  It looks better in the public eye that he didn't just push a bunch of hush money in her direction, but it still leaves the civil suit door open which she obviously stepped through.  We'll see how that one ends up playing out.  I can only assume that if his attorney advised him to ride it out, they've got to feel that their case is pretty solid.

I suspect that the next two articles we read on this subject will be titled, "No Charges to be Filed in the Roethlisberger Sexual Assault Case"...and then, within a month, "Second Civil Suit Filed Against Roethlisberger."

Of course, I'm really just pulling that outta my ass without anything other than what I've read to base it on.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Mar 11, 2010 at 08:21 »

I don't have time to fetch a link right now,but last night onSportscenter, they said Ben told the cops:  He did not have intercourse with her but there was consensual "something-er-other" and afterwards she fell and hit her head".

OK here is the link you lazy bastards.  Now i'm late for brushing my teeth.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4984207
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2010 at 08:28 by Big Virgil » Logged

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Mar 11, 2010 at 08:32 »

Zoiks! She just happen to slip and hit her head afterward. Oh, ma, Ben, Ben, Ben, you're toast. DD BETTER be at the complex getting ready.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #23 on: Mar 11, 2010 at 08:43 »

Zoiks! She just happen to slip and hit her head afterward. Oh, ma, Ben, Ben, Ben, you're toast. DD BETTER be at the complex getting ready.

Yeah, that just doesn't sound good....even if it is true.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Mar 11, 2010 at 09:39 »

Sounds like there was an unconsummated something or other, so I don't think there's going to be DNA.  Very he-said she-said, still.  If he was coming on in or near the bathroom and then pushed her aside, where was he hoping for the actual whatever to occur?  Not pretty.  And the issue may come down to what he was asking her to do, how he physically acted during the proposition and post-, and degrees of such.  My mind does not need to imagine the various possibilities. 

In any event, I think Garland will wrangle a way out for Ben, at least on criminal charges.  The larger issue is that Ta-ho may not have civil legs, but this one might.  Best bet would be to settle, quickly, and cork the story.  It's not a pretty thing, however it went down.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Mar 11, 2010 at 10:02 »

Sounds like there was an unconsummated something or other, so I don't think there's going to be DNA.  Very he-said she-said, still.  If he was coming on in or near the bathroom and then pushed her aside, where was he hoping for the actual whatever to occur?  Not pretty.  And the issue may come down to what he was asking her to do, how he physically acted during the proposition and post-, and degrees of such.  My mind does not need to imagine the various possibilities. 

In any event, I think Garland will wrangle a way out for Ben, at least on criminal charges.  The larger issue is that Ta-ho may not have civil legs, but this one might.  Best bet would be to settle, quickly, and cork the story.  It's not a pretty thing, however it went down.

I think a lot's gonna depend on the tapes here. If the tapes show that they were sitting at the table and she was nibbling on his ear, then pulled him into the bathroon, that's one thing, but if it shows that they were just talking, then she went to the toilet, and a few moments later he followed her in, that'll give a much different impression. And how they come out will be big too. If they come out like everything's fine and then she goes into hysterics after she leaves the bar, that's a lot different that if she comes out crying and he's got his hands out ina "I'm sorry" gesture.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Mar 11, 2010 at 10:29 »

Yeah, true.

Could have been worse...

:tonywashington:

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Mar 11, 2010 at 10:36 »

Brinker told me if Ben wasn't such a dick to the ladies, he wouldn't find himself in these situations.

Respect the pussy...like Tiger.
VaBchSteelersfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #28 on: Mar 11, 2010 at 11:12 »

You might be on to something there, Otis, but still, there's nothing worse than a vindictive bitch, except maybe a vindictive bitch who 'thinks' she's been violated.

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Mar 11, 2010 at 11:21 »

Smooth.  :rolleyes:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/at-best-big-bens-image-is-shot

From the AP: "She said she asked the quarterback to take a photo with her friend, who was a fan, but he seemed disappointed that's all she wanted. Hanley said she rolled her eyes, and Roethlisberger called her an expletive and walked away. Later, Roethlisberger was aggressively hitting on another girl, Hanley said."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: