Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 30, 2014 at 05:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worst case  (Read 4638 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2010 at 09:44 »

I don't think so, just a charge won't get him exiled, he'll have to be convicted. 

I would've agreed, had his been the first time trouble had found Bennie.

It's true that at some point you have to call a duck a duck but I don't think we're there yet.  Ben's a cracker, not a quacker.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2010 at 10:41 »

I don't think so, just a charge won't get him exiled, he'll have to be convicted. 

I would've agreed, had his been the first time trouble had found Bennie.

It's true that at some point you have to call a duck a duck but I don't think we're there yet.  Ben's a cracker, not a quacker.

You're thinking like a football fan, not a business man. Steeler fans aren't going anywhere, so cutting Ben won't cost the Rooney's their fan base. Sticking by him while the prosecution drags out the facts, and the coed gets up on the stand, breaks down and cries as she describes how the big, powerful wretch of a football player cornered her in the darnkness of the back room of the VIP section, and she realized that she was all alone and none of her friends could hear her, how she smelled the booze on the breath, saw the blurry lust in his eyes, and she was afraid, terrified, and then he grabbed her with those powerful hands (at this point the prosecution will produce the pictures from the hospital of the purple marks around her wrists, and they just happen to be the same size as Ben's hands, and she'll say through sobs of how he fondled her....tear filled eyes will drop...down there, while she struggled, etc....and you think the Rooneys will stick by Ben? Would you? I tell ya, if she's charged, if they have enough evidence to charge him, and they better have a mountain of it because they know he's gonna have the best guns a defendant can hire, then the Rooneys will have no choice IMO but to release hm or trade him if someone's willing to pick up that contract with the posibility that he might be going to jail for a long time.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #12 on: Mar 10, 2010 at 10:46 »

You could certainly be correct.  I was just wondering, what if he's charged, the Steelers cut him and then he's acquitted?  To make matter worse, the Browns pick him up and suddenly they have a legit QB and newfound confidence.  Meanwhile, the Steelers are scrambling around with an untested PAC 10 kid behind the helmet.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Mar 10, 2010 at 11:06 »

You could certainly be correct.  I was just wondering, what if he's charged, the Steelers cut him and then he's acquitted?  To make matter worse, the Browns pick him up and suddenly they have a legit QB and newfound confidence.  Meanwhile, the Steelers are scrambling around with an untested PAC 10 kid behind the helmet.

Yeah, the Steelers are definitely in some deep shit right now. The repercussions of this are gonna shape the team for the next ten years IMO. Also, I'm wondering what happens if they don't bring charges, but the gold digging bitch (that's what I'll call her at that point, can't call her that right now, right now, she's the poor victim) sues him? That's two law suits he'd have going on at the same time. At that point, I don't think there's any way the Steelers release or trade him, but the league might suspend him anyway.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
VaBchSteelersfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #14 on: Mar 10, 2010 at 11:29 »

This.just.sucks.
May as well call us the Pittsburgh Bengals. WTF is wrong with him?Huh?

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Mar 10, 2010 at 12:00 »

This.just.sucks.

OK, I'm just gonna bring this up one more time...
We don't know that anything's wrong with him, because we don't know that he actually DID anything wrong!
He hasn't been charged.
The cops let him leave the state.
Did I mention that the accuser described him as 6'5", 241lbs, which just happens to be his official stat line?

I will continue to withhold judgment on him until & if he's charged & further damning evidence is revealed.

I'm also with jonzr on releasing him.  Sure would suck to release him, find out he's innocent of all charges and have him throwing against you on Sundays.  Meanwhile, you still have good ol' BA on the sidelines...

I'm still the one with the boobs.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Mar 10, 2010 at 12:25 »

We don't know that anything's wrong with him, because we don't know that he actually DID anything wrong! He hasn't been charged.

Ya know, if Penso gets mugged again, we're gonna tell him it's time to maybe start putting himself in less muggable situations. Even if it's not his fault. Then again, Penso's C- students probably have better decision making skills than #7.

VaBchSteelersfan

« Reply #17 on: Mar 10, 2010 at 12:34 »

This.just.sucks.

OK, I'm just gonna bring this up one more time...
We don't know that anything's wrong with him, because we don't know that he actually DID anything wrong!
He hasn't been charged.
The cops let him leave the state.
Did I mention that the accuser described him as 6'5", 241lbs, which just happens to be his official stat line?

I will continue to withhold judgment on him until & if he's charged & further damning evidence is revealed.

I'm also with jonzr on releasing him.  Sure would suck to release him, find out he's innocent of all charges and have him throwing against you on Sundays.  Meanwhile, you still have good ol' BA on the sidelines...

Yeah, well, I've got a "Got Ben?" magnet on the back of my car and some asshole next to me at a red light asked me if I always promoted rapists! Regardless of the outcome, this is an embarrasment to the whole damn organization.
And yes, Leigh, I yelled back "Innocent until proven guilty, jackass!"

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
jcharding

« Reply #18 on: Mar 10, 2010 at 14:45 »

At the moment, I can't imagine any set of circumstances where the Steelers cut Ben, nor can I imagine any set of circumstances where there is a suspension of more than 4 games.  There is no indication, that a rape occurred.  The crime was so serious that Ben was not only not immediately arrested but he was allowed to leave the state.  The reactions to this are incredibly out of proportion to what little factual information that has been released.

This is not to say that Ben isn't a scumbag if he squeezed when he shouldn't have, or whatever the case turns out to be.  But everyone needs to slow down - a lot.

I don't need no stinking avatar!
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Mar 10, 2010 at 15:00 »

Well, they can't wait around until he's CONVICTED, so my guess is that, if he's charged, he'll either be released or traded, because even just being charged, he'll be tied up in courts, and he'll get a suspension from Goodell of at least 4 games IMO. So they will start to look at the draft, and if they release him, that will clear cap room for any future cap, so if they so choose, they can go after free agents like Anderson (who I think is a pretty good QB in a shitty Celeveland town) or they can think about doing something radical like trading this year's and next year's first round pick to move up to get Bradford who's the only QB I really like in this draft. Then go into the season with DD as the starter with either the free agent like Anderson or the rookie battling for the spot. By the way, we were going to need a QB anyway to replace Batch, so now we'll be looking for two. Of course, that's only if he's charged.

Wait, what?

IMO, no way the Steelers make a move if he's charged.

C'mon SDW, take it easy, man.

These types of cases are very touchy and very, very difficult for the prosecution.  It's not about proving whether something happened between the two parties, but whether that contact was consentual.  The prosecution wants to put the victim on the stand to pull at the jury's/judge's heartstrings?  OK, cool.  Well, the defense will march a busload of bar patrons, bartenders, waitresses, bouncers, etc., that watched her paw at his crotch for half the night.  They'll depose boyfriends, BFFs, classmates, Facebook friends as character witnesses.  They'll drown the prosecutor in paperwork...e-mails, letters, texts, phone records, phone calls, twitters, twaddles, post it notes left on windshields.  You name it, they'll find it.  And, I guarantee it won't be glowing.

By the time they're done with their cross, this girl will be painted as a stalker psycho that makes Lindsey Lohan look like a saint.

Of course, that's if it goes to trial, which it won't.  IMO, if they had him dead to rights, he'd be charged by now.  And, even if he is charged, it'll likely only be done as leverage in settlement negotiations.

The only real question will be "how much?"  How much will it cost him in legal fees and how much will it cost to settle...either now or in a civil suit?

IIRC, that's why the Reno thing is still hanging around.  BR could've settled that one prior to charges being dropped and got them to sign some sort of agreement prohibiting the woman from pursuing a civil suit.  He instead chose to let the matter play out, which in the end, worked out because the charges were dropped.  It looks better in the public eye that he didn't just push a bunch of hush money in her direction, but it still leaves the civil suit door open which she obviously stepped through.  We'll see how that one ends up playing out.  I can only assume that if his attorney advised him to ride it out, they've got to feel that their case is pretty solid.

I suspect that the next two articles we read on this subject will be titled, "No Charges to be Filed in the Roethlisberger Sexual Assault Case"...and then, within a month, "Second Civil Suit Filed Against Roethlisberger."

Of course, I'm really just pulling that outta my ass without anything other than what I've read to base it on.
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2010 at 15:03 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: